Read Women discussion

The Power
This topic is about The Power
Group Reads > The Power by Naomi Alderman

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Louise | 474 comments Mod
This the discussion thread for our July group read book, the winner of the 2017 Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction, The Power by Naomi Alderman.

Because this title isn't yet widely available in the States, I will also be opening up a single discussion thread for all the other shortlisted books, should people want to read and discuss those instead.

Also, I apologise for lateness of this thread, I will update this it properly with more information in the next few days but at the moment I do not have regular internet access.

Shomeret | 168 comments I had to purchase a UK edition available from Amazon in order to obtain The Power for discussion on another group. It won't be available in the US until October.

Jeanne | 38 comments Seeing Shomeret's email, I went back on Amazon to see what was available. It seems like it was also published in 1998??? Is that right?

Shomeret | 168 comments Jeanne wrote: "Seeing Shomeret's email, I went back on Amazon to see what was available. It seems like it was also published in 1998??? Is that right?"

No, 1998 is an error which should probably be reported to Amazon. It was first published in 2016. It just won the Bailey Prize.

Verena (withywind) | 2 comments I finished this book yesterday, and I liked it! Some thoughts (spoiler warning):
(view spoiler)

Aimee (Pebbles320) I'm almost halfway through and feeling lukewarm about the book so far. I love the concept, and the way the novel incorporates elements such as internet forum discussions, but the letters at the beginning left me feeling muddled.

The conceit is that the book was written by another (male) author and presented by Naomi Alderman, if I am following properly - but are they meant to be in some kind of alternate universe where women have always had power? The letter implies the idea of male police officers etc is unusual. I hope this becomes clear towards the end. I think it's a bit of a gimmick though and the book could have done without it.

Louise | 474 comments Mod
I just finished and I have to say I thought it was brilliant. More coherent thoughts (maybe) to come later when I'm not on tea break at work!

Jeanne | 38 comments Before I started reading The Power, I saw this comment on the GR feed, "What would happen if an author wrote a book about men having the power to electrocute to death, women?" I was defensive, surprised, and felt a bit guilty. It reminded me of some critiques I've heard of Vagina Monologues, for example, where if the tables were turned in some monologues...

That's not what Alderman does here, though. Her story is much bigger than what this questioner suggested. This was a great read on many levels.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Aimee (Pebbles320) Jeanne wrote: "Before I started reading The Power, I saw this comment on the GR feed, "What would happen if an author wrote a book about men having the power to electrocute to death, women?" I was defensive, surp..."

I saw that question too and I loved the answer someone gave: "It would be classified as history".

I agree that the book is much more nuanced than that comment implies and it also shows that women aren't perfect either - we would misuse vast amounts of power the same way men do.

Jeanne | 38 comments Agree completely. He (?) responded based on a cover blurb rather than a thoughtful consideration of ideas raised in the book.