The BOOK/MOVIE Club discussion

General (New Members Start Here) > Future Book Suggestions

Comments (showing 1-50 of 113) (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Max (last edited Mar 26, 2018 11:30AM) (new)

Max Berger | 151 comments Mod
Tell us what books you think deserve a spot in the reading list rotation AND why! If your picks are well thought-out and explained, we would love to add them.

Remember, any genre is fair game! BUT, there must be a film or TV adaptation of your chosen book in order to qualify (it's okay if the adaptation hasn't been released yet, but it must be confirmed to exist). That is the only rule for selection :)

message 2: by Chloe (new)

Chloe I think we should read Wonder by R. J. Palacio. I think this would be a great book to read because of the different themes and challenges that we experience in life.

message 3: by Max (new)

Chloe wrote: "I think we should read Wonder by R. J. Palacio. I think this would be a great book to read because of the different themes and challenges that we experience in life."

I had never heard of this book before now, but it looks like a great read! Added :) Thank you for the suggestion!

message 4: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Cunningham | 65 comments I would like to suggest The Snowman, Author Jo Nesbø as I just seen a trailer for a film version of it being released. I remember reading it and thinking it was pretty god damn good and a bit on the same tone as girl with the dragon tattoo

message 5: by Adriana (Mea) (new)

Adriana (Mea) Gutierrez (adrianamea) | 127 comments Mod
Added The Snowman to our scheduled reading! Also, I noticed that it was part of a series, can the books be read out of order?

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3 comments Fine by me

message 7: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Cunningham | 65 comments Adriana wrote: "Added The Snowman to our scheduled reading! Also, I noticed that it was part of a series, can the books be read out of order?"

Yes I never actually read any of the other books and it worked fine for me

message 8: by Roger (new)

Roger Herrera | 3 comments Hi, first of all I dont know what genre of books can be suggested. But I will like to suggest The Children of Men by P.D. James; is a fiction novel which deals with the collapse of modern civilization after infertility becomes a world wide phenomenon. I think it will be fun.

message 9: by Akram (new)

Akram (Immortallightbulb) | 7 comments Hello everyone,

I'd like to suggest The Gunslinger , because I read the novella "The Gunslinger" a while back, which was published before the book and later became its first chapter.
I'm suggesting it because what I read was really captivating in so many ways, and I don't even know why it took me so long to decide to start on the whole book.

message 10: by Max (new)

Hey Roger! I have seen the film version of "Children of Men," which I really enjoyed. I didn't even realize it was based on a book! I think it would be a great one for us to read, I'll add it to our rotation.

And hey Akram, yes we will definitely be reading "The Gunslinger" here soon! I've actually avoided seeing the new Dark Tower movie because I wanted to read the story first.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys :)

message 11: by Roger (last edited Aug 16, 2017 02:29PM) (new)

Roger Herrera | 3 comments Yeah Akram. The Gunslinger is a superb proposition.

message 12: by Adriana (Mea) (new)

The Children of Men and The Gunslinger have been added to our reading list! Thanks for great suggestions!

message 13: by Akram (new)

Akram (Immortallightbulb) | 7 comments Great! Looks like the list is getting a lot more interesting.
Thanks guys!

message 14: by Imogen (new)

Imogen Reeves (Purplegems3) | 10 comments Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone as it's been adapted into a movie and both book and movie are just as good as each other.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather Hodges I would love to recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows. I haven't read it yet, but it has been recommended to me over and over by friends! It was written as a series of letters after the conclusion of WWII.

message 16: by Max (new)

Imogen - I'd never turn down an excuse to read a Harry Potter book again :) Added!

Heather - This book sounds fascinating!! We're all about reading from new genres and unique perspectives, and this looks like a truly perfect choice. Added :)

message 17: by Acacia (new)

Acacia | 3 comments Chloe wrote: "I think we should read Wonder by R. J. Palacio. I think this would be a great book to read because of the different themes and challenges that we experience in life."
that book was the best! i read it, like, 10 times! ADDED!

message 18: by Radu (new)

Radu Aldea | 4 comments Hi. I would like to suggest Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews. I really liked the book, I don't know if everyone will, and the movie was released recently. Also, I really like spy novels and this one was written by an actual spy.

message 19: by Alya (new)

Alya Abdalla (alyashafea) | 5 comments I would like to suggest the books written by Khalid hussaini.. He is an AMAZING writer.
Check his books out..
(The kite runner, and the mountains echoed ... )

message 20: by Karma (new)

Karma Eberhardt (LadyLibrary) | 25 comments Radu wrote: "Hi. I would like to suggest Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews. I really liked the book, I don't know if everyone will, and the movie was released recently. Also, I really like spy novel..."

I agree..I just watched this movie yesterday so I'm curious how the book is.

message 21: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Townsend | 4 comments Radu wrote: "Hi. I would like to suggest Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews. I really liked the book, I don't know if everyone will, and the movie was released recently. Also, I really like spy novel..."

I thought the book was a bit disappointing actually, it started out as a pretty good spy story but turned into a romance novel halfway through.
I haven't seen the movie but the reviews aren't very good unfortunately.

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott Radu wrote: "Hi. I would like to suggest Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews. I really liked the book, I don't know if everyone will, and the movie was released recently. Also, I really like spy novel..."

I couldn't put the book down. I read it in 4-5 days. Looking forward to finishing the trilogy.

message 23: by Max (new)

Radu wrote: "Hi. I would like to suggest Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews. I really liked the book, I don't know if everyone will, and the movie was released recently. Also, I really like spy novel..."

Ah yes, we were thinking of adding this one to the list, with the movie coming out and everything! Added :)

message 24: by Max (last edited Jun 03, 2018 10:39PM) (new)

Alya wrote: "I would like to suggest the books written by Khalid hussaini.. He is an AMAZING writer.
Check his books out..
(The kite runner, and the mountains echoed ... )"

I read The Kite Runner in high school and was deeply moved by it. Love Hosseini's work! Added it to the list :)

message 25: by Alex (new)

Alex Makoyan | 16 comments Alya wrote: "I would like to suggest the books written by Khalid hussaini.. He is an AMAZING writer.
Check his books out..

definitely!

message 26: by Alya (new)

Alya Abdalla (alyashafea) | 5 comments Max wrote: "Alya wrote: "I would like to suggest the books written by Khalid hussaini.. He is an AMAZING writer.
Check his books out..

I read [book:The Kite R..."

There's also a thousand splendid suns .. I didn't get to read it yet, but will asap!! I bet it'll be the best among all :D

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 6 comments I would like to suggest Who Goes There?. It's the basis for John Carpenter's 1982 film The Thing. I read it years ago and loved it. Worth a re-read for me.

message 28: by Max (new)

H.J. wrote: "I would like to suggest Who Goes There?. It's the basis for John Carpenter's 1982 film The Thing. I read it years ago and loved it. Worth a re-read for me."

I didn't realize this story was based on a book! I love John Carpenter's film version so much :) Very down to read this. Added!

message 29: by Imogen (last edited Mar 17, 2018 01:43PM) (new)

message 30: by M.A. (last edited Mar 22, 2018 12:00PM) (new)

M.A. Williamson (authorwill) | 4 comments Would love to suggest my debut Novel, if that's allowed.
It's entitled, 'Anna Bell- The Sometimes Loner with an Unbreakable Spirit'.
https://www.amazon.com/Anna-Bell-Some...

Here's a brief synopsis.

Set in the beautiful countryside of Ions Mountain, St. Ann; and Kingston, Jamaica. This novel depicts the life story of Anna Bell, the protagonist; who got molested at the tender age of five years old, which then led to her separation from the persons she knew as family.
She takes you through her life's journey being part of a severely dysfunctional family in rural, St. Ann; to eventually carving out a successful path for herself as a young adult. Amidst the many challenges she has been through; and keeps enduring.
Guarantee to take you on a roller coaster of emotions; this story will undoubtedly inspire anyone to be the best they can be. As they overcome whatever life challenges they maybe going through presently; or will come across later in life. (End)
CAN READ FOR FREE WITH KINDLE UNLIMITED.
I WELCOME ALL FEEDBACK'S, REVIEW AND OPINIONS.

message 31: by Paula (new)

Paula | 51 comments I'm suggesting A Prayer for Owen Meany. It was made into a movie called "Simon Burch." However, the film's action veers quickly away from the book by John Irving. The book is about a boy and his childhood friend, Owen, who is the smallest kid he's ever known and has a really odd voice. (Irving uses ALL CAPS every time Owen is speaking.) This story is challenging to a person's sense of who we are and what we can be; indicative of what happens in relationships that depend on forgiveness; and poignant because of its many emotional scenes between the two friends. Oh, and there's an armadillo. ;>)

message 32: by Max (new)

M.A. wrote: "Would love to suggest my debut Novel, if that's allowed.
https://www.amazon.com/Anna-Bell-Some......"

Congratulations on writing your first novel! :) Unfortunately it does not qualify for a group read here unless there is also a movie/TV version of the story- but I hope your story finds an audience and I wish you luck.

message 33: by Max (new)

Paula wrote: "I'm suggesting A Prayer for Owen Meany. It was made into a movie called "Simon Burch." However, the film's action veers quickly away from the book by John Irving. The book..."

I am adding this to our queue! This sounds like quite a story, and I am very curious. You have a very compelling way of describing books, Paula! :)

message 34: by Wika (new)

Wika (wikibam) Did someone suggested "Simon vs Homo Sapiens". There is a film called "Love, Simon"

message 35: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Williamson (authorwill) | 4 comments Max wrote: "M.A. wrote: "Would love to suggest my debut Novel, if that's allowed.
https://www.amazon.com/Anna-Bell-Some......"

Thank you.
Hope to have a movie adaptation one day soon.

message 36: by Karma (new)

Karma Eberhardt (LadyLibrary) | 25 comments Paula wrote: "I'm suggesting A Prayer for Owen Meany. It was made into a movie called "Simon Burch." However, the film's action veers quickly away from the book by John Irving. The book..."

I haven't read the book but I did see Simon Burch and oh, what a heartbreaker!! But still very good

message 37: by A.J. (last edited Mar 26, 2018 11:32AM) (new)

A.J. Williams (braveone) | 7 comments Allow me to suggest my novel, Flame of Retribution.

A wife becomes a vigilante after police kill her husband on their wedding night - inspired by the 2006 shooting death of Sean Bell. Everyone who has read it said they can't put it down, so I'm very proud lol...think it would be a great read for your list!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 38: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Ryans (afryans) Sound interesting

message 39: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Williams (braveone) | 7 comments Adrienne wrote: "Sound interesting"

Thank you Adrienne - and it's the first of a trilogy!

message 40: by Roger (new)

Roger Herrera | 3 comments I will also like to make a suggestion, unless the voting poll is already closed. A Lonely Resurrection of Barry Eisler.
Is the second installment of his John Rain series. It focus on exmilitary japanese-american, who enters a life in the crime community as a hired assasin, but whose techniques of disposing of the victims are quite particular.
Is not a profound book, it wont pose you questions about the ills of society, the balance between law and morality, etc. But is non the less a fun book and so I will like to recommend it to you guys.

message 41: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Ryans (afryans) When is the final decision date?

message 42: by Adriana (Mea) (new)

You are always welcome to add new book suggestions to this thread for future months to come. There is no deadline (:

message 43: by Karma (new)

Karma Eberhardt (LadyLibrary) | 25 comments What if we did the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood....that has a novel and a film already out! I have seen the film: A classic Southern tale of hilarious sadness set in a sleepy Louisiana parish. A group of lifelong friends stage a rather unorthodox intervention to help a young playwright unravel the truth about her complicated, eccentric mother, find forgiveness and acceptance, and let go of her painful past. There's a lot of actors and actresses that people would recognize like Sandra Bullock, Ashley Judd, James Garner, Maggie Smith, etc. It's one of my favorites

message 44: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Lawson (blaw) | 2 comments I believe Blade Runner Edge of Human because it's a cyberpunk book which doesn't have a lot of attention and it's one of many sequels that is really good!

message 45: by Max (new)

@Wika and @Abbey,

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda is on our list already! It's coming up soon, after Red Sparrow and Annihilation :)

message 46: by Max (new)

Roger wrote: "I will also like to make a suggestion, unless the voting poll is already closed. A Lonely Resurrection of Barry Eisler.
Is the second installment of his John Rain series. It focus on exmilitary ja..."

Hi Roger,

This sounds like an enjoyable read! It must have a movie or TV adaptation in order to qualify for our list, however. Perhaps it will have one eventually :)

message 47: by Max (new)

Karma wrote: "What if we did the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood....that has a novel and a film already out! I have seen the film: A classic Southern tale of hilarious sadness set in a sleepy Louisiana pa..."

This is a good suggestion! I had not heard of either book or the movie before now, but I think our members will like it :) It is added to our reading/watching list!

message 48: by Max (new)

Brandon wrote: "I believe Blade Runner Edge of Human because it's a cyberpunk book which doesn't have a lot of attention and it's one of many sequels that is really good!"

This book probably wouldn't qualify for our list normally, except that the original Blade Runner film actually received an amazing sequel last year! This book sequel's story looks to be completely different, so I think it will make a nice point of comparison.

Plus it looks to be more of a sequel to the film version than the Philip K Dick book, which I wasn't expecting. Added to our list :)

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Cantrell (sayrawww) | 16 comments Bird Box

The film is set to release near the end of this year, and will be starring Sandra Bullock, Sarah Paulson, and Machine Gun Kelly. :-)

Bird Box by Josh Malerman is his 2014 debut novel, and it's a fantastic apocalyptic type thriller. The book is about a young woman and her two children surviving a mysterious pandemic, and is narrated from the past and present point of view. I don't want to spoil anything, so the description I'm providing is very brief and vague, but I highly recommend!

I would definitely read it again for a book club pick!

message 50: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 3 comments I suggest Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. PBS will be broadcasting a new adaptation starting in May. I haven't read the book since i was a child (I don't want to admit how long ago that was) but I really like the adaptation with Susan Sarandon and Winona Ryder.

« previous 1 3