Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Crucible of Gold (Temeraire, #7)
This topic is about Crucible of Gold
Temeraire > Temeraire-#7 Crucible of Gold First Impressons

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maggie K | 1110 comments Mod
Dang but this series is going by fast! and Everyone is moving around so much! I'm curious to see where we go this time, and who comes with!

Kathi | 395 comments Mod
Hope to start by the end of the week.

Bill | 58 comments I did the previous 6 in audiobook and now am doing this one on kindle and it is harder to get into. I'm pretty sick of all the traveling in this series and really wish Novik would get back to the battle with the French.

Katy (Kathy_H) | 93 comments Finished. This was a fun series, although the traveling does get old.

message 5: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maggie K | 1110 comments Mod
I was thinking the same thing Bill, that the travelling got old. I also dont care for this group of sailors at all.....lol

Bill | 58 comments Yeah the sailors are the worst. I'm also getting sick of Laurence's honor which leads to so many problems for everyone.

Kathi | 395 comments Mod
FinLly started this last night--having trouble remembering who's who--but it's starting to come back.

Kathi | 395 comments Mod
Who else is finished? Should we have a spoiler thread?

Bill | 58 comments I'm done

message 10: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (Kathy_H) | 93 comments Bill wrote: "Yeah the sailors are the worst. I'm also getting sick of Laurence's honor which leads to so many problems for everyone."

Yes to both.

message 11: by Kathi (last edited Jul 18, 2017 07:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 395 comments Mod
Katy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Yeah the sailors are the worst. I'm also getting sick of Laurence's honor which leads to so many problems for everyone."

Yes to both."

I get that, but it also shows that actions have consequences, and it is not easy to accept some of those consequences when one's actions are dictated by what one believes is the right (honorable) thing to do. We are seeing someone try to live by a code that has defined his life (and his world), when the changing circumstances (and world) do not always support the choices he makes. I think a major theme in the series is the tension between being true to one's honor/beliefs and being expedient. And being with Temeraire has changed Laurence's code, to some degree. As his travels and experiences have widened his worldview, his code of honor has gradually shifted. That has to be uncomfortable for him, and sometimes his choices reflect a desire to go back to a simpler code.

message 12: by Bill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 58 comments That's a good point. It's kind of the opposite approach of most epic type fantasy where the MC is usually a young man/woman who knows nothing of the world and makes mistakes by taking the expedient path then deals with the consequences.

message 13: by Margret (new) - added it

Margret | 60 comments Bill do you think this one is worth reading? I'm getting pretty fed up with this series, and the library only has this on ebook

message 14: by Bill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 58 comments Eh I was pretty disappointed by this one. The next one is a little better. My hold for the last book just came in so looking forward to getting the series done. Think it started out really strong but lot of pointless wondering.