Our Shared Shelf discussion

Feminism > Feminist Activist: volunteer vs professional

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1427 comments We are all volunteers on OSS even Emma maybe especially Emma. We have read of the deeds and the words of well known Feminist.

My question is what is the most effective professional -for want of a better word feminist or the Volunteer.

Both are giving there time but to do it without reward personally feels like it would appeal more and have more impact.

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Clement (emmatclement) | 1782 comments Ross wrote: "We are all volunteers on OSS even Emma maybe especially Emma. We have read of the deeds and the words of well known Feminist.

My question is what is the most effective professional -for want of a..."

Hmmm you raise an interesting question. Honestly, I am not sure what I think.

Volunteering for the feminist cause and doing work without reward has a lot of benefits and can show one's dedication. But on the other hand, being a feminist as a professional/career might not show this dedication to do it without reward, but might allow one to devote more time to it and have a (maybe) stronger impact.

I am not sure, though, this is definitely something to think about.

message 3: by Sascha (new)

Sascha | 361 comments I'm not sure if I get this right here - but what do you mean with "reward"? What "reward" is meant here? Feminists who work in a professionell organization and get paid wage for this work or what?

If "reward" means "wage", then I don't think there are so much opportunities or am I wrong? Because there aren't that many Feminist organizations that have enough money to pay their co-workers. I mean the biggest organization where you can get paid for supporting women's rights is probably the UN. The UN has its own UN Women chapter. And at the UN, people usually get paid for their work. But I have no idea what other organizations where people are working in favor of women's rights are able to pay a wage?

So I think Feminism depends to a very great extent on voluntary work of engaged people at NGOs and women's organizations. And if you get paid for this work you must be quite lucky, at least that is my impression.

But honestly, I don't think that's such a big problem because not being paid for our work also means that we have much more freedoms. And nobody can say: "you have to say and do what I want because I am the one who pays your wage!" On the other hand, it would obviously be an advantage to get a wage, too. Because when you can live from your Feminist work you can work as a Feminist full time. That's not possible when you have to earn your money from another job.

So that means that Feminists at the UN may be more professionell but they are also more dependent on their employer (the UN). Or another example would be politicians from political parties and governments who work for example at the Women's Ministry or as women's speaker of their party. These Feminists would also have to be very cautious and the disadvantage would be that you can't say and act completely as you want when you work for political parties and even more if you work for a government. Because you are also responsible to your party/government then. And we all know that party politics and government politics can be a "dirty job". But maybe the chances to aim for political reform (laws) in favor of women's rights are bigger then because you have more power in a political party and even more in a government.

Autonomous and grass roots Feminists on the other hand have more freedoms in their reflections and actions but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are less professionell.

message 4: by Robert (last edited Jul 06, 2017 01:29PM) (new)

Robert (RobertWKessler) | 61 comments First let me say feminism has a place in nearly every profession/volunteer context. Also, feminism is often more of a posture than a vocation in and of itself.

That being said, I feel the teaching professions may be among the most effective in encouraging the consideration of feminist ideals. Teachers are ideally positioned to challenge young learners. High school and university students in particular are (developmentally speaking) in a critical stage of identity development. Economics, sociology, and literature naturally lend to teaching feminism.

To give a mild example, I transitioned from an egalitarian posture to a more intentionally feminist egalitarianism as a result of an undergraduate sociology course that focused on equity and the division of labor in workplace and home environments.

Other subjects (as with other professions) only require a little creativity and a lot of intentionality to be helpful in promoting lasting equality.

Whether as professional vocation or as volunteer, if you are pursuing your passions and leaning into your calling, then your time will be both well-spent and rewarding.