Art Lovers discussion

Picture of the Day > July 2017

Comments (showing 1-50 of 101) (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl

Portrait of a Man in Armor, ca. 1512
Sebastiano del Piombo (Italian c. 1485-1547)
Oil on canvas
34 1/2 x 26 1/4 in.
Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford, CT

As a brief palate cleanser let's look at this hot man wearing metal! Hot.

message 2: by Luís (new)

Luís C. (goodreadscomDeepblue) Lobstergirl wrote: "Portrait of a Man in Armor, ca. 1512
Oil on canvas
34 1/2 x 26 1/4 in.

As a brief palate cleanser let's look at this ..."

A Templar's Knight? Beautiful!

message 3: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 270 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Portrait of a Man in Armor, ca. 1512
Oil on canvas
34 1/2 x 26 1/4 in.

As a brief palate cleanser let's look at this ..."

Excellent.

message 4: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 567 comments I visited the Wadsworth Athenium back in the 70`s. They had a very good permanent collection. The painterly skills of this artist are extremely well honed and I distinctly sense his personality from the expression on his face. There is a sense of resolve that is not aggresive.He captures the quality of light reflected on metal with a technical skill I don´t see in many artists from that era.

message 5: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl
Portrait d'André Breton, 1934
Victor Brauner (French 1903-1966)
Oil on canvas
61 x 50 cm
Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris

message 6: by Luís (new)

Luís C. (goodreadscomDeepblue) Lobstergirl wrote: "Portrait d'André Breton, 1934
Oil on canvas
61 x 50 cm
Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris"

This painting has full of expression! Very vivid..

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Yes, and nice use of color. His lips are tinged green, as is the white of his left eye.

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 5115 comments I love the stark contrast in color and line. Yet, as LG said, the green tinge on some of his facial features brings in again the green of the walls and floor. Interesting piece, thank you for posting that. It's not exactly one I'd put up in my living room, but it is one to ponder for awhile.

I wonder if Breton really had that pallid complexion?

message 9: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl
Sous-titre : Portrait de femme, 2006
Wilhelm Sasnal (Polish b. 1972)
Oil on canvas
40 x 40 cm

message 10: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 5115 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Sous-titre : Portrait de femme, 2006
Wilhelm Sasnal (Polish b. 1972)
Oil on canvas
40 x 40 cm

Absolutely LOVE IT!

message 11: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 567 comments Again, this is a psychological portrait that is highly revealing of the subject. This is my kind of portraiture and again, this unknown Frenchman, has done an excellent job. Breton was reputed to be quite a difficult cat to deal with and went through many friends who got disgusted with his domineering manner and narrowmindedness. I see that in this painting. He was also reputed to be a genius.
There´s a cold austerity to his depiction. Also uncaring, without compassion or a gentler side.I would not like to befriend this man

message 12: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 567 comments And, yes, it`s his novel, NADJA, that I found one of the most boring I had to read in my Modern Novel class.

message 13: by Lobstergirl (last edited Jul 04, 2017 08:35PM) (new)

Lobstergirl
Portrait de Madame A., 1944
Moïse Kisling (Polish 1891-1953)
Oil on canvas
41 x 33 cm

message 14: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 270 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Portrait de Madame A., 1944
Kisling (Polish 1891-1953)
Oil on canvas
41 x 33 cm

Lobstergirl wrote: "Portrait d'André Breton, 1934
Oil on canvas
61 x 50 cm

Great color.

message 15: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 567 comments Extremely self confident, perhaps even a tad brutal to be with. Madame A. could hold her own with Andre Breton if she were his intellectual equal.

message 16: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl
L'Espagnole, 1910-1913
Maria Blanchard (1881-1932)
Oil on canvas
54 x 50 cm

message 17: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 567 comments Frankensteiness? What an unflattering portraiture. If this is a commissioned piece, the first and major mistake Maria made was not to get in the right mind frame to create a flattering likeness.Perhaps the sitter refused to pay for this and the piece was donated to the Musee instead?

message 18: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 567 comments These shades green and red are absolute complements and the latter serve to soothe the sensibilities, so we have contradictory impulses here.

message 19: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 270 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Frankensteiness? "

My thoughts immediately, and oddly it almost seems as if she has angel wings.

message 20: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl (view spoiler)

message 21: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 567 comments Didn´t notice the wings. Very subtle there.

message 22: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl

Portrait of Mrs. Zimmerman, 1943
Prudence Heward (Canadian 1996-1947)
Oil on canvas
107.3 x 91.9 cm
National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa

message 23: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 270 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Portrait of Mrs. Zimmerman, 1943
Prudence Heward (Canadian 1996-1947)
Oil on canvas
107.3 x 91.9 cm
National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa"

Thought that was soft pastels!

Lobstergirl wrote: "
[Blanchard] was born with several physical deformities, including a deformed spine... Blanchard was born with kyphosoliosis and bilateral hip disarticulation. Her growth was stunted and she walk..."

So she was an angel.

message 24: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 567 comments So Dr. Frankenstein created an angel. He must be ---. Oh no, can´t say that, that´s blasphemous.

message 25: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Jul 08, 2017 08:46AM) (new)

Heather | 5115 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "L'Espagnole, 1910-1913
Maria Blanchard (1881-1932)
Oil on canvas
54 x 50 cm

At first glance, I definitely agree with Geoffrey, and I hadn't noticed the 'wings' until Aaron mentioned it.

Unfortunately, the only positive comment I have about this piece is her shading of the sternocleidomastoid (neck muscle) attached to the clavicle (collar bone) and reaching down to the sternum. All these seem anatomically correct with the shading she uses.

It is interesting that it seems like she put more effort into the details of her neck anatomy than the rest of the portrait. Her dress is nothing in that it has no likeness of any reality or substance to something real. It seems that she hurriedly finished off the woman by adding clothes. I would guess that the dress was the last thing painted before she felt the piece was complete.

I think the contrast with the orange and green is hideous. Whatever artistic meaning this has, or maybe there is no reason for her choice of color, I think it takes away from any sort of reality in a portrait.

I appreciate the spoiler you added, LG, because it did give me a different perspective. Maybe the clashing colors are chosen to create an uneasy feeling in the viewer. It does for me!
Also, it explains why the lady actually does look like a witch (in my opinion). Thank you for adding that.

I don't particularly like this portrait, but the spoiler does help me understand it better.

message 26: by Carol ꧁꧂ (new)

Carol  ꧁꧂  | 36 comments Like 13 & 22 & find 16 interesting.

message 27: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I don't think those are wings. It took her between 3-4 years to finish this painting. She had something in there, design or objects or whatever, which she wasn't satisfied with and painted over it with green, which makes it look a bit sloppy.

message 28: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl
Portrait of Mrs. von Sinner, Berne, 1906
Paul Klee (Swiss-German 1879-1940)
Oil on canvas
51,3 x 39,5 cm
Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen, Düsseldorf

message 29: by Luís (new)

Luís C. (goodreadscomDeepblue) Lobstergirl wrote: "Portrait of Mrs. von Sinner, Berne, 1906
Oil on canvas
51,3 x 39,5 cm
Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen, Düsseldorf"

Is She thinking about anything? Or is She just angry about something?

message 30: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1256 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Portrait of Mrs. von Sinner, Berne, 1906
Oil on canvas
51,3 x 39,5 cm
Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen, Düsseldorf"

Lovely.

message 31: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 567 comments It`s a reverential moment.

message 32: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 5115 comments Yes, I think pensive.

message 33: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 111 comments I am getting a bit of a green theme for July! In her excellent 2002 book about the origins of colour, Victoria Finlay talks about it as the 'secret colour' of Chinese porcelain, mi se, the porcelain only royalty could own.... a bit off topic.

message 34: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 5115 comments Deborah wrote: "I am getting a bit of a green theme for July! In her excellent 2002 book about the origins of colour, Victoria Finlay talks about it as the 'secret colour' of Chinese porcelain, mi s..."

So is green the secret color of the Chinese?

message 35: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 5115 comments Where did you go, Lobstergirl????

message 36: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl

Portrait of a Woman, 1549
Lucas Cranach, the Younger (German, 1515–1586)
Oil on panel
63.8 x 47 cm (25 1/8 x 18 1/2 in.)
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

message 37: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 567 comments Exceedingly good portraiture in that it is an excellent character study. A very astute woman, apparently severe, but with a softer touch, in command of work and social situations, she is a born leader and is looked up to by influential people. She carries political weight. She is probably the head of a large household, is intricately involved with the business of her husband if not the enterpreneur herself. She is confident, doesn´t hesitate to make decisions which are usually deemed fair. And yes, she is quite intelligent. Anybody else sense any of these qualities?

message 38: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 5115 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Portrait of a Woman, 1549
Oil on panel
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston"

I can see her stern quality in the shape and the way she is holding her mouth and her eyes seem to portray the same. She does look confident and maybe patient but not to the point of disregarding others. I say patient but with a bit of cynicism watching how others do things that she does but in her opinion, she does them better. She is patiently waiting them to finish so she can 'correct' whatever they did without giving offense to the other person.

I like how her cloak seems to be made of a velvet material. That is what it looks like to me, soft and textured. I would think that would be a difficult aspect to attain in a painting.

I am no artist, but I think the background is too light a color, it washes her pale face out even more. But maybe she does just have that pallid coloring.

message 39: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl
Naomi, 1967
Morris Broderson (American 1928-2011)
Oil on canvas
47 7/8 X 35 7/8 IN. (121.4 X 91.0 CM.)
Hirshhorn Museum, Washington, D.C.

message 40: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 5115 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Naomi, 1967
Oil on canvas
Hirshhorn Museum, Washington, D.C."

This is thought provoking. My first intinct was... a case of multiple personalities? There must be some background to this piece. Is there any more information you could share, LG?

message 41: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Stewartry) | 0 comments I'd never heard of Morris Broderson, and now I think I love him. I found a blog post by the subject of the portrait: http://sitteninthehills64.blogspot.co...+ (the specific post is the last one on the page, so scroll on down).

Like, here's the 'Public Face' and then, here's the 'Private Face'...(which might be more hidden. Yes, especially, back then...I was pretty young back then...well, at least from my vantage point right now, I was truly pretty young and my feelings were much more hidden...)

And what Morris "got", was that I was in mourning. He understood, on a level that one cannot even put into words, that I was in deep deep mourning. He knew that my mother had died less than a year before and he caught something of that in this great great painting.

message 42: by Luís (new)

Luís C. (goodreadscomDeepblue) Heather wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Naomi, 1967
Oil on canvas
Hirshhorn Museum, Washington, D.C."

This is thought provoking. My first i..."

Do you mean 'bipolar' ?

message 43: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl
Portrait Study, ca. 1818-19
THÉODORE Géricault (French 1791-1824)
Oil on canvas
18 3/8 X 15 IN.
J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles

Géricault made this finished portrait study while preparing his masterpiece, The Raft of the Medusa, now in the Musée du Louvre.

message 44: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Jul 19, 2017 07:29AM) (new)

Heather | 5115 comments Luís wrote: "Do you mean 'bipolar' ?"

Luis, bipolar and multiple personality are two different disorders. Not the same thing as some people often mistake them for.

message 45: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 5115 comments Tracey wrote: "I'd never heard of Morris Broderson, and now I think I love him. I found a blog post by the subject of the portrait: http://sitteninthehills64.blogspot.co...+ (the specific ..."

Thank you Tracey!!! That gives much more insight into the painting. I appreciate you looking further into it.

message 46: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Stewartry) | 0 comments I was curious too! I'm so glad I found that.

message 47: by Luís (new)

Luís C. (goodreadscomDeepblue) Heather wrote: "Luís wrote: "Do you mean 'bipolar' ?"

Luis, bipolar and multiple personality are two different disorders. Not the same thing as some people often mistake them for."

Yes..

message 48: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 567 comments Heather wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Portrait of a Woman, 1549
Oil on panel
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston"

I can see her stern qualit..."

You may be no artist, but your added comments to my own about her character were spot on. You have a good understanding of the human heart, (and mind)

message 49: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 567 comments I have no problema with the background color on the Lucas Cranach portrait, but perhaps because it`s my favorite color and shade. I don´t see how it detracts from her face. It doesn`t look washed out to me. That`s my opinión anyway. For some reasons the portrait reminds me of the portrait Richard Avedon made of Richard Nixon`s presidential secretary. Woods was her last name!??

message 50: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3