The Bat (Harry Hole, #1)
This topic is about The Bat
B > The Bat, by Jo Nesbo

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (BookWenchManda) | 1685 comments The Bat
The Bat (Harry Hole, #1) by Jo Nesbø

GR summary:
Before Harry took on the neo-Nazi gangs of Oslo, before he met Rakel, before The Snowman tried to take everything he held dear, he went to Australia. Harry Hole is sent to Sydney to investigate the murder of Inger Holter, a young Norwegian girl, who was working in a bar. Initially sidelined as an outsider, Harry becomes central to the Australian police investigation when they start to notice a number of unsolved rape and murder cases around the country. The victims were usually young blondes. Inger had a number of admirers, each with his own share of secrets, but there is no obvious suspect, and the pattern of the other crimes seems impossible to crack. Then a circus performer is brutally murdered followed by yet another young woman. Harry is in a race against time to stop highly intelligent killer, who is bent on total destruction.

I read this for my 2017 Reading Challenge, a book written or set in Scandinavia. I am on the fence about this one. I wasn't overly impressed with it, but I can see the beginnings of a great series. I can't really nail down what it was that bothered me about this; it might have been the standard format of a detective crime novel. I think I will read one or two more of the series before I make a final determination.

3/5

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jul 07, 2017 05:59AM) (new)

Laura | 2598 comments Mod
I'm hoping to get to this series eventually. I've heard that you're supposed to start later in the series since they only marginally connect and the other book is better. But I'll probably still start with book 1 since that would disrupt my need for order :P

Manda (BookWenchManda) | 1685 comments I was torn in that fact. I found the Snowman and it looked so good! However, its book 8 in the series, and I just couldn't jump into the middle of the series without having read the first seven, even if they are only loosely connected.

They only series I have jumped around in are Hercle Peroit and Miss Marple.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (AbyssalLibrarian) | 1818 comments I just finished The Snowman without reading any of the other books in the series, and I think you'd mostly be fine. There seemed to be a couple of references to previous cases, but most of them were explained enough that it didn't matter that I didn't have all the details. I'm on the fence about whether I want to read more in the series -- I liked the book and the synopses of some of others look interesting, but I also found it very slow to read.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Feb 09, 2018 04:07AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa (lisaburscheidt) | 20 comments I read this for #6 - a book originally written in a language other than English. I really didn't like it; I thought the main character was really unlikeable and the treatment of women, characters of colour, and queer characters really bothered and upset me. I'm a big fan of the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child and I thought this would be similar, but I like Reacher much, much better.