Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2017 > Glory Over Everything - July 29th, 2017

Comments (showing 1-50 of 65) (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jul 24, 2017 01:51PM) (new)

Kristie | 4520 comments Mod
We will be starting a buddy read of Glory over Everything: Beyond The Kitchen House on July 29th. Everyone is welcome to join. Please mark your posts with where you are in the book and use spoiler tags as needed.

Glory over Everything Beyond The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

From the author of the New York Times bestseller and beloved book club favorite The Kitchen House, a novel of family and long-buried secrets along the treacherous Underground Railroad.

Jamie Pyke, son of both a slave and master of Tall Oakes, has a deadly secret that compels him to take a treacherous journey through the Underground Railroad.

Published in 2010, The Kitchen House became a grassroots bestseller. Fans connected so deeply to the book’s characters that the author, Kathleen Grissom, found herself being asked over and over “what happens next?” The wait is finally over.

This new, stand-alone novel opens in 1830, and Jamie, who fled from the Virginian plantation he once called home, is passing in Philadelphia society as a wealthy white silversmith. After many years of striving, Jamie has achieved acclaim and security, only to discover that his aristocratic lover Caroline is pregnant. Before he can reveal his real identity to her, he learns that his beloved servant Pan has been captured and sold into slavery in the South. Pan’s father, to whom Jamie owes a great debt, pleads for Jamie’s help, and Jamie agrees, knowing the journey will take him perilously close to Tall Oakes and the ruthless slave hunter who is still searching for him. Meanwhile, Caroline’s father learns and exposes Jamie’s secret, and Jamie loses his home, his business, and finally Caroline.

Heartbroken and with nothing to lose, Jamie embarks on a trip to a North Carolina plantation where Pan is being held with a former Tall Oakes slave named Sukey, who is intent on getting Pan to the Underground Railroad. Soon the three of them are running through the Great Dismal Swamp, the notoriously deadly hiding place for escaped slaves. Though they have help from those in the Underground Railroad, not all of them will make it out alive.

Suggested Reading Schedule:
- Saturday 29th : Chapter 1 up to chapter 6 (not included)
- Sunday 30th : Chapter 6 up to chapter 10
- Monday 31st : Chapter 10 up to chapter 14
- Tuesday 1st : Chapter 14 up to chapter 20
- Wednesday 2nd: Chapter 20 up to chapter 26
- Thursday 3rd: Chapter 26 up to chapter 33
- Friday 4th: Chapter 33 up to chapter 38
- Saturday 5th: Chapter 38 up to chapter 44
- Sunday 6th: Chapter 44 up to the end

message 2: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 1536 comments Mod
I might join you! :)
I loved The Kitchen house!

message 3: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 3418 comments Mod
All I remember is that I loved Kitchen House .... I'm not sure I actually remember the specifics :/ Worried it's going to affect my enjoyment of this.

If anyone knows of a good run down of what happened in The Kitchen House point me in the right direction.

message 4: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

I found this Lynn. I hope it helps... :)
https://www.enotes.com/topics/the-kit...

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Lynn - this ones being marketed as a standalone. I think as long as you remember who the main character is you'll be fine.

message 6: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 3418 comments Mod
Savanes wrote: "I found this Lynn. I hope it helps... :)
https://www.enotes.com/topics/the-kit..."

Thank you!

message 7: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

I finished the book i was reading so i might start this tonight instead of Monday! :)
Funny thing, i finished the underground railroad and I realized this one is also about the underground railroad. Hopefully this one will be better.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I was thinking about reading The Underground Railroad, but that doesn't sound promising. I hope this one is better for you. I definitely won't be starting early. I'm trying to finish up other books first and I'm running behind.

message 9: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

otherwise, if everyone is ok with that we could start next weekend? i can read something else in the mean time... Let me know.

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jul 22, 2017 04:11PM) (new)

It doesn't really matter to me. What does everyone else think about dates? Lynn? Vicki?

Cathie & Helen - Are either of you reading along?

message 11: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 423 comments Anytime is good with me.
I can start next weekend just fine.

message 12: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 3418 comments Mod
Sorry, been away for the weekend ..... I'm easy whatever, just let me know what we're doing.

message 13: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Ok then lets start next weekend then! :)

message 14: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 3418 comments Mod
Ok .... which day / date? Are we reading to a schedule or just reading at our own pace?

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jul 23, 2017 07:42PM) (new)

Ok, I'm going to change the date in the thread and in the calendar, just in case someone sees the date and plans to join. I'm going to put in the 30th for now. We can always adjust it later if that doesn't work for any of you.

Lynn - We didn't plan a schedule for this one, but we can if you like. I have the audio, so I won't be able to do the breakdown.

message 16: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Ok I'll take care of it. Let's start on the 29th though :)
Posting the schedule in a few minutes.

message 17: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Ok so here it goes, starting on the 29th:
- Saturday 29th : Chapter 1 up to chapter 6 (not included)
- Sunday 30th : Chapter 6 up to chapter 10
- Monday 31st : Chapter 10 up to chapter 14
- Tuesday 1st : Chapter 14 up to chapter 20
- Wednesday 2nd: Chapter 20 up to chapter 26
- Thursday 3rd: Chapter 26 up to chapter 33
- Friday 4th: Chapter 33 up to chapter 38
- Saturday 5th: Chapter 38 up to chapter 44
- Sunday 6th: Chapter 44 up to the end

I divided the book in equal parts. I don't have book pages on my kindle edition but it should be about 40 pages each day.
Let me know if that suits everyone, otherwise we can take more time to read this one. :)

Kristie, let me know if you need more info (year and character) or if the audio gives you the chapter's number... :)

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Ok. I'll change the date as soon as I'm back at my laptop. I'll let you know how the audio is broken up once we start.

message 19: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Kristie wrote: "Ok. I'll change the date as soon as I'm back at my laptop. I'll let you know how the audio is broken up once we start."

No worries, I realized I could change the date so I did :D

message 20: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 423 comments The breakdown looks good.

Am looking forward to this.
Hope it is as good as the first one.

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I added the schedule to the first post and changed the date in the schedule. We should be all set to start on the 29th. :)

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie (spoondive) | 26 comments I'm very excited to join this group read! I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up with the breakdown but I will try!

message 23: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

I read the first 2 chapters, I really like it so far. It's nice to read about the background (AKA the first book) even if it's just for a few lines. Planning to read more tonight.

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I'm going to be starting late. I had a book to finish today for a team challenge, so couldn't get to this one and we have some family stuff going on tomorrow so I'm not sure if I'll start then or not. Don't wait for me though. I'll catch up.

message 25: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 3418 comments Mod
I'm starting late too because I'm going to use this book for an August challenge (Kristie - YLTO moving challenge). So I'll be starting on Aug 1st .... I'm pretty sure I'll have no problems catching up :)

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Oh, that's right, Lynn! I even asked if this one would fit the challenge so I could use it for that too. lol Glad I didn't start yet. haha

message 27: by Vicki Willis (last edited Jul 29, 2017 04:24PM) (new)

Vicki Willis | 423 comments End of chap. 2
Pan (view spoiler)

What challenge are you ladies doing?

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

We are doing a monthly challenge in another group. The book has to be started and finished within the month to qualify for the challenge.

message 29: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 423 comments Ah, good you waited.

End of chap 6
(view spoiler)
The tension is building already.

message 30: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

@vicky, about Pan (view spoiler)
End of chapter 5 (view spoiler)

message 31: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 423 comments End of chapter 7
(view spoiler)

message 32: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

@vickie: I think the mother (view spoiler)
Your take about James and his patch is so valid (couldn't find any other word, ;) )
I'm in the middle of chapter 8 and i'm so stress. Stupid and kind pan!

message 33: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 423 comments End of chapter 9

I like alternating chapters. It keeps me wanting to read on. I don't think I want it to switch and then when it does I don't want to switch from that character.

(view spoiler)

I am leaving tomorrow to go camping in the Sequoias (Balch Park). There is no internet or cell service so I will be completely "nature" until next weekend. I will finish the book I am sure, but will look forward to everyone's comment when I get back.
Have a great week friends!

message 34: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Vickie, you were right. Chapter 17 (view spoiler)

message 35: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Starting today!

message 36: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

yay kristie. I'm really enjoying it (I read a bit ahead of schedule, ooops)

message 37: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 3418 comments Mod
I think that schedule is not valid anymore what with my and Kristie starting late and Vickie off on he hols and reading offline :)

I still haven't started ....... I'm in the middle of a classic / historical fiction which I can never read quite as quick as other books and I want to get that finished first. I finally got around to reading Memoirs of a Geisha! It's been on my tbr for so long.

message 38: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Did you like memoirs of a geisha, Lynn? I loved it so much at the time.

message 39: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 3418 comments Mod
I'm 70% in so far and really enjoying it

message 40: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I only made it about 5 minutes into the book today. Tomorrow is another busy day. Hopefully, I'll make some progress though.

message 41: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

70%????? And I thought I was way ahead!!
Chapter 26 (view spoiler)
I'm at chapter 30, I think (view spoiler)
I have to agree with you Vickie, the author has a way of pulling you in at every character's switch. I love them all. I really like Robert's character too even though we don't hear from him directly.
@Lynn: I don't know if they talk about it after chapter 30 so maybe you know already but do you think (view spoiler)

message 42: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 3418 comments Mod
Erm, you asked me if I was enjoying Memoirs of a Geisha .... I was answering that lol

message 43: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Hahaha ok my mistake!

message 44: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Chapter 38: I'm so stressed! (view spoiler)

message 45: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 3418 comments Mod
I have finally started! But only to the end of chapter 1 so far .....

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I made it through chapter 5 (view spoiler)

Finished Day 1!! :)

message 47: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Kristie, so young and (view spoiler)

message 48: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

I finished. I had some minor issues with the book but it was still a five stars. I basically couldn't put it down. My issues: (view spoiler)

message 49: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 3418 comments Mod
Finally got going with the book .... I'm currently at the end of Chapter 6. Loving all the characters so much, but especially Pan!

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I found chapter 8 (view spoiler) difficult to read. I knew it was going to happen, but didn't want it to.

« previous 1