Book Snails Book Group discussion

Announcements > Book Snails Book Group turns 1 July 13!

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Mod Nerd (new)

Allison Barilone (bookgirl1987) | 986 comments Mod
How about that?! We are almost at our 1st year mark! The year has flown by...thanks to good company and good books!

message 2: by StarMan, Co-Mod The Big Dipper (last edited Jul 03, 2017 01:39AM) (new)

StarMan (TheStarMan) | 1152 comments Mod
Thanks for starting the group!

How many total "group" books have we had so far? (monthly + quarterly + yearly reads). 14 or so? I bet Allison knows!
~~~~~

In honor of 1 year o' Book Snailing, below are 2 BOOK SNAIL TRIVIA challenges:

Warning: You might call these... [drum roll]..... WORD PROBLEMS!

View the Snail Trivia:

(view spoiler)

~~~~~~

I'll post the answers in a week or so. Feel free to post your educated (or gut instinct) guess.

message 3: by Kelsey, Book Queen (last edited Jul 06, 2017 11:38AM) (new)

Kelsey | 353 comments Mod
My reaction when I saw you asking us to do math: description

I'm a librarian, darn it! I haven't done math since I was a freshman in college :P

I tried my best though, and like I did all throughout my school career, I didn't get an answer listed, so I chose the one closest to what I got. Lol! For #1.) I'll say D. 85 miles, and for #2.).....erm..... Well, I started to do it, and then I saw all the numbers, got super confused, and said no t, no shade, no pink lemonade, but I'm giving up. So I'll just go with B. 481 days :P

message 4: by StarMan, Co-Mod The Big Dipper (last edited Jul 06, 2017 12:16PM) (new)

Kelsey wrote: "My reaction when I saw you asking us to do math:
"

Loved that video clip! I know I'm a weirdo. I didn't really like math class, but I was always good at word problems (prob. because I was a big reader, duh).

But I promise #1 is pretty easy (if you look at the hint). It only requires 2 multiplications, and requires that you know the # of days in a year (ha ha!)

I admit #2 is a wee bit sneakier, hee hee.

And your answers (view spoiler). The questions do say "about" and "approximately," so I rounded the answers off.

message 5: by Kelsey, Book Queen (new)

Kelsey | 353 comments Mod
StarMan wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "My reaction when I saw you asking us to do math:
"

Loved that video clip! I know I'm a weirdo. I didn't really like math class, but I was always good at word problems (prob. becaus..."

That would be Titus Andromedon from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, on Netflix! He's a one liner/reaction gif machine :P

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (JustElise) | 176 comments Ow, my brain. (view spoiler)
It's no wonder I've put off reading Moby Dick. ;)

Kelsey, I love that gif - and that's about the way I felt, too! :)

Congrats, Allison! And Happy Birthday, Book Snails!

message 7: by StarMan, Co-Mod The Big Dipper (new)

Awwww, y'all no like the fun maths? I'll post how to get the answers, later, if anyone wants to know.

Elise, I'll pass on MOBY as well. I read a while back that there's a new translation, done entirely in emojis. But I think that might hurt my brain even more!

message 8: by Allison, Mod Nerd (new)

Kelsey wrote: "My reaction when I saw you asking us to do math:

I'm a librarian, darn it! I haven't done math since I was a freshman in college :P

I tried my best though, and like I did all throughout my schoo..."

I LOVE THIS WITH ALL MY HEART, Kelsey! You rock, sister!

message 9: by Allison, Mod Nerd (new)

We forgive you, StarMan, for "sullying" this group of word lovers with numbers and icky math problems~! Last semester I took my very last college math class and I swore that I'm not doing one more math problem I don't HAVE to! Good luck, everyone else! Lol

message 10: by Allison, Mod Nerd (new)

Kelsey wrote: "StarMan wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "My reaction when I saw you asking us to do math:
"

Loved that video clip! I know I'm a weirdo. I didn't really like math class, but I was always good at word proble..."

My math experiences sound much like yours, Kelsey!

message 11: by Allison, Mod Nerd (new)

Just Elise wrote: "Ow, my brain. [spoilers removed]
It's no wonder I've put off reading Moby Dick. ;)

Kelsey, I love that gif - and that's about the way I felt, too! :)

Congrats, Allison! And Happy Birthday, Book S..."

Oh, thank you, it's been a fun year so far!

message 12: by StarMan, Co-Mod The Big Dipper (last edited Jul 08, 2017 10:05PM) (new)

Allison wrote: "I swore that I'm not doing one more math problem I don't HAVE to! ..."

*grin* I sort of know that feeling. I feel that way about school, and several former jobs.

message 13: by Allison, Mod Nerd (new)

Thanks for keeping us mentally stimulated though, StarMan!

message 14: by StarMan, Co-Mod The Big Dipper (last edited Jul 08, 2017 11:56PM) (new)

Y'all are cracking me up with your math allergies!

Since I know y'all really want MORE math [suppresses evil chuckle], I found some simple animal math problems (for grade school kids). #4 is a snail one, similar to one of mine. At least the pictures are fun:

https://kgmathminds.com/2014/08/12/au...

~~~~~~~

Solutions to the original 2 Snail problems I posted:

(view spoiler)

message 15: by StarMan, Co-Mod The Big Dipper (last edited Jul 08, 2017 11:32PM) (new)

I'm also pretty sure that snails & slugs are hermaphrodites, so thanks for not calling me out on Sticky being a male and Sheila being a female. Technically, they are both sexes :)

Which means... snails & slugs can (view spoiler)

message 16: by Allison, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "I'm also pretty sure that snails & slugs are hermaphrodites, so thanks for not calling me out on Sticky being a male and Sheila being a female. Technically, they are both sexes :)

Which means... s..."

LMBO