Mental Health Bookclub discussion

I Am the Messenger
This topic is about I Am the Messenger
2017 Group Reads - Non MH > July - I Am the Messenger

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Martha (MarthaIs) | 512 comments July's category is Young Adult so this month we're reading I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Discussion points
- What did you think of the book?
- How does it compare to The Book Thief, Zusak's most famous work?
- How does this book support the theory that helping others helps oneself?
- Ed says, “I want words at my funeral. But I guess that means that you need life in your life.” How do the missions slowly put “life” in Ed’s life?

Martha (MarthaIs) | 512 comments To be honest, I didn't love this book! It's nothing compared to the Book Thief, but perhaps it's an unfair comparison as they are very different stories. I just didn't like any of the characters, I thought the female characters were particularly one-dimensional and the ending was a bit...odd.

It certainly supports the theory that helping others helps oneself. Before the messages start, Ed is kind of floating along without any purpose, and this gives him purpose and certainly gives his life something new he didn't have before. They also open his eyes to what's going on around him, which is something we can always learn.

Did anyone else get a chance to read this?

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica DePoister | 3 comments I am having a hard time finding a hard copy of it, but as soon as I do I will be reading it! :)

message 4: by Ean (new)

Ean | 42 comments Mod
I tried to read this book 3 times but just can't get into it.