Camino de Santiago discussion

Introduce yourself!

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JMcKeit) Hello, everyone!

I didn't see a thread where we can all introduce ourselves, so I took the liberty of adding one myself! :-)

I just got back from the Camino Frances (St.Jean to Santiago) a few weeks ago. When did/will you walk the Camino?

message 2: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Phillips | 3 comments Congratulations on completing your Camino. I am sure that you found it life-changing. Very few are ambivalent about the experience. I walked the 800 km of the Camino from St.Jean to Santiago in 2010 and 2015. That was to celebrate turning 60 and 65 respectively. Walked the 1000 km of the Via de la Plata from Seville to Santiago this past April. Something very addictive about the journey but, at the same time, it has instilled within me new life, clarity and contentment. The Camino morphed into my book: "My Camino Walk - A Way to Healing" published by IslandCatEditions. It's a story about getting rid of the baggage we often carry on our journey.

message 3: by Terry (new)

Terry McHugh | 7 comments Congratulations Jennifer, has the addiction got to you yet, Do you want to go back. I first walked it in 2013, gave up at Burgos but went back a couple of months later and finished it. Never again I said, 2015 I was walking it again. Never again. Pope Francis declared a Holy Year in 2016 so I was back again to go through the Holy Door. Never again I said, left my walking poles outside the Cathedral and binned a lot of my gear. Bought new stuff, going back next April. My first camino also became a book 'Walk With The Sun Till Ur Shadow Disappears' spelt 'ur' as it was a slogan on a wall and thats how it was spelt there. It tells how I started on an adventure and somehow went from being a 'Sunday Catholic' to someone who not only practised his faith but started enjoying it again. Its not a religious book though

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane Blanchard (JaneVBlanchard) | 15 comments Hello and congratulations on finishing your first Camino. I walked the Camino Frances in 2011 and the experience completely changed my life. In 2013, I tried a biciCamino from Barcelona to Santiago but fell in Leon and had to stop my bike ride. So, I walked the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon. I am now planning the Via Francigena.

On my first Camino, I spoke with many female pilgrims. From our conversations, I wrote Women of the Way: Embracing the Camino. It describes my journey and that of other peligrinas.

message 5: by Joe (last edited Jul 03, 2017 05:46PM) (new)

Joe | 5 comments 2014 & 2016 for me until my knee and L5 gave in . This is not a bummer post , I LOVED the Camino (Francis ) and hopefully once I heal ( Operation last month) I will finish . Third times the whatcamacallit. I made it to Viana the first time from St Jean then from Viana to Logrono the second time , When a 28 yr old mind wrestles with a 70 yr old body stuff happens , 2019 party of one .

Buen Caminio
Joe

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane Blanchard (JaneVBlanchard) | 15 comments Joe, I know what you mean...I'm still mentally 24, but physically more that 40 yrs older.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JMcKeit) Wow, that's funny because I'm certainly not walking it again for a while, but I don't want to say never.

Isn't it amazing the how the Camino is so conducive to writing? I'm working on a Camino novel, though it's in the planning/research stage right now.

I just love the way the Fellowship of the Camino is very much alive on Goodreads--and everywhere you go!

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane Blanchard (JaneVBlanchard) | 15 comments There are many Camino Books. I have over 200 pinned to my Pinterest Board https://www.pinterest.com/janevblanch...

message 9: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Phillips | 3 comments Hi Jane, that's fantastic........and very colourful. It would make a good poster for us Camino aficionados. Here's another to add:
https://www.amazon.ca/My-Camino-Walk-...

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane Blanchard (JaneVBlanchard) | 15 comments Thanks, Timothy. Your book is now on the board

message 11: by Elaine (last edited Jul 05, 2017 09:56AM) (new)

Elaine Foster (majorabona) | 17 comments Hi all, I'm Elaine and I started the Camino thread on Goodreads so I am happy to see it go off in its own direction. I agree the Camino inspires us to push past our limitations to find the poetry. It's really great to have a community to turn to when we have questions or just want to share the wonder of this pilgrimage. Our book won an award to our great surprise. So thank you for your support and it's good to meet you! Let us know if we can help you.

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane Blanchard (JaneVBlanchard) | 15 comments Isn't winning a book award thrilling. I've won one for Camino Tips: How to get the Most Out of The Way. It was a surprise and a joy. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JMcKeit) Jane, I checked out your Pinterest boards, and they're fantastic! Totally following! Here is mine:
https://www.pinterest.com/atlantisfor...

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JMcKeit) Elaine, thanks so much for starting this thread! :-)

message 15: by Jane (new)

Jane Blanchard (JaneVBlanchard) | 15 comments Jennifer wrote: "Jane, I checked out your Pinterest boards, and they're fantastic! Totally following! Here is mine:
https://www.pinterest.com/atlantisfor..."

I checked your Pinterest Boards and started following you too. You have a variety of interests that are similar to mine.

message 16: by Jane (new)

Jane Blanchard (JaneVBlanchard) | 15 comments Elaine wrote: "Hi all, I'm Elaine and I started the Camino thread on Goodreads so I am happy to see it go off in its own direction. I agree the Camino inspires us to push past our limitations to find the poetry. ..."

I added your book to my Camino Book Pinterest Board.

message 17: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Foster (majorabona) | 17 comments Jennifer wrote: "Elaine, thanks so much for starting this thread! :-)"

I've made some good friends off this one little thread. I guess it's the Camino way. Nice to meet you Jennifer.

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue Kenney | 4 comments Thanks Elaine for starting this thread. I first walked the Camino in 2001 alone in the winter. I wrote a book called My Camino in 2004 when there were only a handful of Camino books. My second book is Confessions of a Pilgrim, and it's about my journey alone on the Portuguese Route. The Camino had a profound effect on me and my life has been about the Camino ever since I came home. Everything I do, is related to it in some way. I love meeting pilgrims and continue to walk every year. Now I do it barefoot! Lovely to meet all of you. Sue

message 19: by Jane (last edited Jul 18, 2017 05:33AM) (new)

Jane Blanchard (JaneVBlanchard) | 15 comments Welcome to the group, Sue

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue Kenney | 4 comments Thanks. It was nice to see you were in this group. Love your work Jane.

message 21: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Foster (majorabona) | 17 comments Sue wrote: "Thanks Elaine for starting this thread. I first walked the Camino in 2001 alone in the winter. I wrote a book called My Camino in 2004 when there were only a handful of Camino books. My second book..."

Barefoot!? Wow. You are a real-life pilgrim. I think you beat my husband Joe (I know it's not a contest) but he has returned to walk the Camino 4 times since we did it in 2012. There is something about the experience that calls some people to come back. Personally, I received the blessings and forged on. I have to admit feeling a little confused by the pilgrims who can't get enough. Wish someone would research the question. It would be interesting to know what makes us, or our experiences so different.

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue Kenney | 4 comments Elaine,
I said I would never walk it again after the first time. I have walked 4 times alone and many times leading groups. I always walk the same route on the Camino Frances with a group and find it is different everytime. Then again, I have a very different experience than most because I am barefoot. :)
I think it would be an interesting study as more and more pilgrims are doing it.
Buen Camino de la vida.
Sue

message 23: by Reino (new)

Reino Gevers (goodreadscomreinogevers) | 4 comments I will be walking my ninth walk on the Camino on Sunday from Oviedo. Its now become an annual ritual. The Camino has been life-changing in many respects, especially in the meeting of fellow pilgrims. I've worked some of these amazing characters into my book just published: Walking on Edge: A Pilgrimage to Santiago.
goo.gl/vkF3Bq

message 24: by Jane (new)

Jane Blanchard (JaneVBlanchard) | 15 comments I uploaded the cover to my Camino Books Pinterest board and posted it on FB. Best of luck with the book.

message 25: by Reino (new)

Reino Gevers (goodreadscomreinogevers) | 4 comments Thank you!

message 26: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Phillips | 3 comments Good luck with your new book. Have just upped your sales by one copy! I will enjoy the read. Also, enjoy your pilgrimage. The walking of the Camino, as you say, is life changing. There are the bitter-sweet stories that we hear, we are humbled and returned to a place of sensitivity in a world that has become unsensitized. We become alive again and it is this that I like about walking the Camino.

I was also interested in one of your previous books on Five Element theory because that, along with walking the Camino, has been part of my own life journey. Buen Camino

message 27: by Reino (new)

Reino Gevers (goodreadscomreinogevers) | 4 comments Thanks for your comment, Tim. Am just sitting outside the Albergue in Escamliero enjoying a beautiful sunset. Every Camino walk is different with the magic speaking through the people you meet on the Way.

message 28: by Tom (new)

Tom Maentz | 3 comments Another excellent read for the Camino is 'The Reign in Spain' by Galician author W. Kristjan Arnold. Mr. Arnold has biked the Camino and writes gloriously about 20th Century Spain.

message 29: by Victor (new)

Victor Prince (VictorPrince) | 3 comments Hello fellow peregrinos. Like many pilgrims, the Camino inspired me to write a book to share the Camino experience with others. I'm running a giveaway for my book now at
https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

Here is the story behind my book, The Camino Way: Lessons in Leadership from a Walk Across Spain (AMACOM, July 2017). I hike and bike long trails on vacations as a hobby, so the Camino had been on my list for a while. When I finally got on the Camino, however, I realized it was unlike any other trail. My month-long Camino experience taught me values and lessons that have made me a better person and leader. They helped me smooth some sharp edges I had developed in my climb up my career ladder. I wrote blogs about those lessons when I got home. Those blogs went viral and snowballed into this book. I wrote this book so I could share those lessons with other people, especially those who may not be able to take a month off and walk across Spain but could benefit from the values taught on the Camino. To augment my own Camino stories and lessons, I interviewed over 100 other pilgrims from 16 countries. Dozens of their wonderful stories and lessons made it into this book.

I hope you enjoy the book. Here are reviews from some other readers:

"The camino has spawned a multitude of books and blogs. Victor Prince has taken a novel approach. He has gathered reflections from a cross section of pilgrims and distilled this wisdom to provide lessons in leadership. Whether that leadership is in business or life in general, we could all benefit from the advice it contains.”
— John Brierley, author of A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago and other bestselling travel books

"On the back of the passport, which is used to get stamps as each stage of the walk is completed, (Prince) noticed seven simple reminders of things pilgrims should do while on the Camino, which he used as the framework for his book The Camino Way, since they applied to work as well.... You don't need to walk the Camino to take those lessons into your own life."
— Harvey Schachter, The Globe and Mail, Canada's largest newspaper
The Camino Way: Lessons in Leadership from a Walk Across SpainThe Camino Way: Lessons in Leadership from a Walk Across Spain
"Prince’s is both a highly engaging story and a remarkably effective way to communicate business lessons... In this first-person narrative, Prince recounts his adventure, but unlike the typical travel diary, The Camino Way brilliantly draws continuous connections between the Camino, which started as a religious pilgrimage hundreds of years ago, and contemporary business leadership."
— Foreword Reviews, an independent media company founded in 1998 to serve an audience of librarians, booksellers, book-loving consumers, publishers, agents, and other publishing professionals.

"Victor Prince’s follow up to Lead Inside the Box is a much different, but equally original, book on leadership. In The Camino Way, Victor shares lessons from an extraordinary experience that can help other leaders in their everyday work. I strongly recommend it."
— Robert J. Herbold, Chief Operating Officer (retired), Microsoft Corporation

"A thousand year old hiking trail across Spain is a uniquely interesting setting for a book on leadership. It's a great read with valuable lessons for anyone looking to become a better leader, professionally and personally.”
— Ethan Bernstein, Asst. Professor of Leadership & Organizational Behavior, Harvard Business School

"I'll probably never walk the Camino, but I feel like I did after reading this book. What a fresh take on leadership!"
— David K. Lenhardt, former President and CEO, PetSmart, Inc.

"Victor draws you in with the opportunity to walk the Camino vicariously with him - all the experiences and none of the blisters. This entertaining book is a combination of a travel guide and an invaluable set of lessons for success in life at home and at work."
— Dan Tangherlini, former Administrator of the US General Services Administration

“Rooted in history, yet highly relevant to today, Victor Prince takes readers on a journey of insight that can add value to all of our daily experiences."
— Suzanne Tager, Senior Director, Retail and Consumer Goods Practice, Bain & Company

"When reading this inspirational book, I couldn't help but think about a term I learned in Latin - Manus manum lavat - one hand washes another. As leaders we need to ensure we never forget about the people we rely on, our teams, our employees, our family, friends...our village. The Camino Way reminds us we are all on different journeys and every relationship matters."
— Lisa M. Buckingham, Chief Human Resources Officer of Lincoln Financial Group

"The Camino Way offers universal life and leadership lessons. After finishing, I couldn't decide which I wanted to do first: share the book with my senior team or buy a plane ticket and start my own journey."
— Scott Kubly, Director of the Seattle Department of Transportation

"Most people have two stacks of books by their bed: books they read for work, and books they read for pleasure. The Camino Way is the only book you’ll read this year that could make it to both stacks."
— Paul Smith, bestselling author of Lead with a Story and Sell with a Story

"The Camino Way takes you on a journey you will never forget. Awesome story telling that captures and sweeps you in while delivering great life and leadership lessons."
— Brigette Hyacinth, Founder and Director of the MBA Caribbean Organisation

"Through his journey, he guides us to apply his newfound perspective to the most meaningful aspects of our lives. In doing so, we become better leaders, better parents, and better people."
— Sally Tassani, President, The Strategy Forums

"If a 'Buen Camino' is not on your itinerary, this book will bring you as close to the life-changing power of the vaunted walk as possible. It’s like a MBA for the soul."
— Scott Mautz – author of Find the Fire: Ignite Your Inspiration & Make Work Exciting Again

message 30: by Terry (new)

Terry McHugh | 7 comments Unfortunately this giveaway not available outside the US. To purchase the kindle version in UK is, how shall I say this, a little more expensive than we expect kindle books to cost. It does not even have a 'look inside' feature to whet the appetite and convince one to pay this quite expensive price. Sorry Vincent, will pass on your book for now until it maybe becomes available on Kindle Unlimited or it includes a 'look inside' feature to help me decide

message 31: by Victor (new)

Victor Prince (VictorPrince) | 3 comments Thanks for the feedback, Terry. I also highly value the 'look inside' feature when I am choosing books. I didn't realize that wasn't working in the UK version for my book. That is helpful for me to know and chat about with the publisher. Maybe they will let me post a sample chapter or something on my website. In terms of price, unfortunately I don't have control over that - one of the downsides of going through a publisher instead of self-publishing this book. Thanks again for the feedback. I appreciate it. All the best to you. - Victor

Victor wrote: "Hello fellow peregrinos. Like many pilgrims, the Camino inspired me to write a book to share the Camino experience with others. I'm running a giveaway for my book now at
https://www.goodreads.com/..."

message 32: by Terry (new)

Terry McHugh | 7 comments Ooops, sorry Victor, I got your name wrong. Dont know why I wrote Vincent. Have a little scan of camino books on amazon.uk and you will see the difference in pricing. Have a word with the publisher to see if they can reduce it. The price at the minute would be more associated with a paperback. But do try to get the 'look inside' working. I have chosen quite a few books based on the appetiser

message 33: by Terry (new)

Terry McHugh | 7 comments Sorry again Victor. My mistake. The 'look inside' is DEFINITELY WORKING. Hope I did not give any potential readers a push in the wrong direction. Off to read the sample before hitting the sack

message 34: by Victor (new)

Victor Prince (VictorPrince) | 3 comments Thanks for the follow-up clarification, Terry. I really appreciate it. I did chat with my publisher today. They agreed to let me give away a chapter on my website as a sample. Not sure if the price will move, but that can at least help people decide if they want to buy it. Thanks for the feedback! It was quite useful. All the best. - Victor

message 35: by Mary (new)

Mary Howell | 8 comments Jane wrote: "There are many Camino Books. I have over 200 pinned to my Pinterest Board https://www.pinterest.com/janevblanch..."

Jane wrote: "There are many Camino Books. I have over 200 pinned to my Pinterest Board https://www.pinterest.com/janevblanch..."

What a colourful board and great to recognise so many I have read, enjoyed, even used. I'm disappointed that my book Murielle's Angel did not make it to the board. Have you read it?
I'd better run a give away.

message 36: by Jane (new)

Jane Blanchard (JaneVBlanchard) | 15 comments Thank you for telling me about your book "Murielle's Angel." It is now the 222nd book on the Pinterest. Board.

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary Howell | 8 comments The addiction that is walking the Camino! Volunteering as hospitalero can become an obsession too. Can't wait for Glorious April when we return to the Camino del Norte to feed both those needs. My first book, Murielle's Angel is a novelised account of my first Camino, so long ago now the date is hazy. 2000, I think. I hope to complete an account of this Camino too.

message 38: by Mary (new)

Mary Howell | 8 comments Jane wrote: "Thank you for telling me about your book "Murielle's Angel." It is now the 222nd book on the Pinterest. Board."

Thanks Jane. I think the desire to write about the Camino is quite an addiction too.

message 39: by Prioleau (new)

Prioleau Alexander | 2 comments Hello, Fellow Pilgrims!
Actually, I don't qualify for the title-- I'm more a McPilgrim.
Prioleau Alexander, here... new to the group.

My second book is now on GoodReads. It is about my time of the Camino, and is entitled "Dispatches Along the Way: An American Humorist Staggers Across Spain in Pursuit of Happiness, Truth, and a Cold Beer."

FYI, the first was "You Want Fries With That: A White-Collar Burnout Experiences Life at Minimum Wage. 43 GoodReads reviews, I think.

Dispatches has a few reviews on Amazon, and-- at this point-- one on GoodReads.

There's a Facebook page by the same name if you want to get a flavor for the project.

Buen Camino!
(Unless you're a biker. Us backpackers secretly cuss you as you go zooming by)