Books on the Nightstand discussion

General chat > What are you reading July, 2017

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2402 comments Mod
I can't believer half the years is behind us (or only half ahead). I'm down to only 9 books behind on my 2017 Reading Challenge. It was much, much higher.
I'm listening in the car to Wonder by R.J. Palacio Wonder for my local book discussion. On my iPad I'm starting Eleanor Roosevelt Vol 2, The Defining Years, 1933-38 by Blanche Wiesen Cook Eleanor Roosevelt: Vol 2, The Defining Years, 1933-38. I'm reading The World to Come by Jim Shepard The World to Come, The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley, and Glory and the Lightning by Taylor Caldwell].

message 2: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 758 comments Hello
It's been a very tough year for me and my reading. I won't get into the specifics except to say that it's been a year since my mother passed in June of 2016. Reading has taken a backseat to that tragedy but since I am getting out of my mourning period I am trying to get some reading done. On the ebook side I have been reading The Last Woman Standing. This book is about a woman who goes east from San Fran to marry a man in Tombstone and apparently ends up with Wyatt Earp. A slow start which is now picking up steam. On the listening side I have started Inspector of the Dead. This is an excellent second in the series from David Morrell. Based on a real person,Thomas De Quincey,the notorious opium eater who solves murder cases in nineteenth century London. This is a great listen. My TBL book is I Am Half-Sick of Shadows another Flavia deLuce mystery. These are well narrated stories by Alan Bradley. On my TBR list is a book I am really looking forward to,An Empire on the Edge: How Britain Came to Fight America. This is a Pulitzer Prize finalist that I would like to start ASAP. Its a paperback. Well thats that.

message 3: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 47 comments To a certain degree I have no idea what I am reading in either July or August. My local library system has an Adult Reading Challenge. In the past it has been just to read a certain amount of time each day. This year they have challenges, one for each province and territory. I have some ideas for some but not in other cases.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (CKubala) | 516 comments Mod
Gerald wrote: "Hello
It's been a very tough year for me and my reading. I won't get into the specifics except to say that it's been a year since my mother passed in June of 2016. Reading has taken a backseat to t..."

I hope that being able to read more will help you as you grieve the loss of your mother. Our GR community is happy to see you here and to hear what you are reading.

message 5: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 758 comments Thanks

message 6: by Britany (new)

Britany | 234 comments Finished The Boy in the Suitcase (Nina Borg, #1) by Lene Kaaberbøl by Lene Kaaberbøl-- 4 Stars.

This was a quick, fast-paced read that I couldn't stop listening to.

My Review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen | 246 comments I just started Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult it's been awhile since I read a Jodi Picoult book and I'm wondering why? Love love love her books!

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (CKubala) | 516 comments Mod
Karen wrote: "I just started Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult it's been awhile since I read a Jodi Picoult book and I'm wondering why? Love love love her books!"

Will be waiting to hear your thoughts on this one Karen. I "adopted" Jodi many years ago in our Adopt an Author Program at our library. Having heard her speak many times, I have a great deal of respect for her. She is intelligent, has a zest for history and is a very entrepreneurial woman. She has found her niche and a working formula in her books. I'd like to see her up the bar a bit.

Enjoy.

message 9: by Britany (new)

Britany | 234 comments Finished Serena by Ron Rash by Ron Rash-- 4 Stars.

Gorgeous slow burn of a novel with a strong female character that I loved to hate.

My Review:

message 10: by Karen (last edited Jul 06, 2017 02:06AM) (new)

Karen | 246 comments Carol wrote: "Karen wrote: "I just started Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult it's been awhile since I read a Jodi Picoult book and I'm wondering why? Love love love her books!"

Will be waiting to hear you..."

Carol I agree with you even though her books always have a strong message with different points of view that make you look at all sides of an issue. Such as in My Sister's Keeper which was an all time favorite of mine. I would love to see her raise the bar a bit so her name will be mentioned along with Elizabeth Strout and other women authors when award nominations are announced.

message 11: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (KatSikes) | 156 comments Just finished Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye for a postal book club; currently listening to Born a Crime Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah on audio and almost done.

Up next: Austenland (Austenland, #1) by Shannon Hale (Utah author in honor of an upcoming trip), Today Will Be Different by Maria Semple for my in-person book club, What She Never Told Me by Kate McQuaile, Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison on audio, and two Goodreads Giveaway books I've been trying to get to, A Bridge Across the Ocean by Susan Meissner and The Little French Bistro by Nina George. Haven't been reading as much lately so probably won't get all of those done in July, but I can try!

message 12: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 47 comments Finished two books so far for my library's Adult Reading Challenge
Mrs. Jeffries and the Silent Knight (Mrs. Jeffries, #20) by Emily Brightwell which met the Quebec challenge (female author) and
The Dunsmuirs of Nanaimo which satisfied the New Brunswick challenge (local author),
two challenges down, eleven to go.

message 13: by Britany (new)

Britany | 234 comments Finished Another Day in the Death of America A Chronicle of Ten Short Lives by Gary Younge by Gary Younge - 3 Stars.

Falling right down the middle on this one.

My Review:

message 14: by Britany (new)

Britany | 234 comments Finished Behold the Dreamers A Novel by Imbolo Mbue by Imbolo Mbue-- 4 Stars.

I really enjoyed this book about race, class, and immigration in the US.

My Review:

message 15: by Linda (new)

Finished listening to Eleanor Roosevelt Vol 2, The Defining Years, 1933-38 by Blanche Wiesen Cook Eleanor Roosevelt: Vol 2, The Defining Years, 1933-38 and moved quickly to The Nine of Us Growing Up Kennedy by Jean Kennedy Smith The Nine of Us: Growing Up Kennedy. Next I'll be listening to The Windfall by Diksha Basu The Windfall

message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 46 comments Currently reading Magpie Murders and listening to To the Nines

message 17: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 47 comments Finished a couple more challenges in the Adult Summer Reading Challenge for our local library
Astonishing X-Men, Volume 10 Northstar by Marjorie M. Liu for a book by an author of colour, and
The Heir of Tower House (Sexton Blake Library, #313) by Hugh Clevely for an ebook
I am currently reading The Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame The Tag Teams by Greg Oliver as a book by a Canadian author.

message 18: by Judy (new)

Judy | 17 comments I have just finished reading the final book of the Temeraire series, League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9) by Naomi Novik by Naomi Novik 4*stars

My review:

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy | 17 comments I have finished Gladden the Heart (Amish Turns of Time #5) by Olivia Newport by Olivia Newport 3*stars

My review:

message 20: by Britany (new)

message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie M (woolyjooly) | 214 comments Where'd You Go, Bernadette - rip roaring, hilarious summer read. How did I miss this 4 years ago when it first came out?

message 22: by Denise (new)

Denise (DeniseG53) | 219 comments Gerald, you have my sympathies. I, too, lost my mother last year, and I lost my father 12 days ago. I was their caretaker. Like you, my reading went down the tubes after my mother passed. Reading has always been my solice, and I am hoping to get back to my old routine of reading 2-3 books per week to keep my mind occupied.

message 23: by Linda (new)

Finished listening to The Windfall by Diksha Basu The Windfall which was just delightful. Moving on to Days Without End by Sebastian Barry Days Without End

message 24: by Giovonnia (new)

Giovonnia | 2 comments I am reading, Capote's, In Cold Blood. gripping! I'm trying to read , A little life, Ann on BOTN loved it but I'm having a slow start.

message 26: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 758 comments After a year of not reading a book I finally finished one. Yeahhh!
Yesterday I finished The Last Woman Standing by Thelma Adams. This was not a great book but less than 300 pages so it was short enough. I am going to start reading An Empire on the Edge How Britain Came to Fight America by Nick Bunker. This non fiction I am really looking forward to.

message 27: by Linda (new)

Gerald wrote: "After a year of not reading a book I finally finished one. Yeahhh!
Yesterday I finished The Last Woman Standing by Thelma Adams. This was not a great book but less than 300 pages so it was sho..."

Congratulations, Gerald!

message 28: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 758 comments Thanks
I'll try to do better.

message 30: by Britany (new)

Britany | 234 comments Finished Lean In Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg by Sheryl Sandberg-- 3.5 Stars.

Glad I read this one, but wasn't spectacular.

My Review:

message 31: by Linda (new)

Listened to and absolutely loved House of Names by Colm Tóibín House of Names. Now listening to Refuge by Dina Nayeri Refuge. Reading The Supremes Sing the Happy Heartache Blues by Edward Kelsey Moore The Supremes Sing the Happy Heartache Blues.

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie M (woolyjooly) | 214 comments I have just finished reading The Alice Network by Kate Quinn. Incredible story, though longer than I thought (nearly 500 pp). Historical fiction about female spies (Eve Gardiner, Louise B.) in France during WWI, and alternating chapters from the perspective of Charlie (Charlotte), who leaves England for an abortion in Switzerland in 1947, but instead goes in pursuit of her lost cousin, Rose. Eve's story and Charlie's converge in a most unusual and harrowing series of events. READ THIS! **** 1/2

message 33: by Britany (new)

Britany | 234 comments Finished Columbine by Dave Cullen by Dave Cullen-- 4 Stars.

I thought I knew... but I had NO idea...

My Review: