Historical Fiction discussion

Books about settling SE areas and wars against Indian tribes of the SE US?

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1 comments Has anyone out there ever read any good book(s) about the settling of the SE areas of the US?
Specifically, setting of GA, AL, MS and TN, across the Appalachians? And the battles fought against the Creeks, Cherokee, Choctaws, and Seminoles?

Over last year or so, I've been reading Alan Eckert's Winning of America series of historical narratives, that deals with these types of topics, for the Ohio River Valley and the former "Northwest Territories" of the 1700-early 1800's, and the battles against/with the Iroquois Nations, Shawnee, Hurons and Chippewas, Miamis, etc. .

I'm wondering if there is an equivalent type of series of books like this, but for these areas and Indian tribes of the Southeast?

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Bonnye Reed (new)

Bonnye Reed (brf1948) | 28 comments Apalachee by Joyce Rockwood Hudson is a novel but the backstory is accurate. Published by University of Georgia Press. Early 1700's on. Hudson has several nonfictions as well that cover Spanish rule in the southeast. And of course John Ehle's Trail of Tears

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Cleveland | 4 comments Hi. I'm new to Goodreads and to this group. However, I just read your post and although this perhaps seems like brazen self promotion ... I wanted to suggest my new book, Roots of Faith. This was my first attempt at writing historical fiction and was published in May of this year. I'm not really sure as to how to generate interest in it? Perhaps you folks have a suggestion? In any event, the book is an intergenerational saga about four Southern American families with roots in Ulster, Scotland, and England. It's rather lengthy (722 pages) covering events in their lives beginning in the year 600 and ending in 1863 on the civil war battlefields of Northern Georgia. It does have a strong Christian theme which might put some readers "off" but I think even the non-religious might find the work of interest since I do cover quite a bit of British and early American history. The themes of slavery, Indian removal programs, etc.. all play a role in later chapters after these four families have migrated to the southern British colonies. By the way, the four families are Cleveland, Cochran, Irvin and Reed.

message 4: by Rick (new)

Rick Wright | 1 comments Is your book available as an "e-book"?

message 5: by Bonnye Reed (new)

Bonnye Reed (brf1948) | 28 comments Greg wrote: "Has anyone out there ever read any good book(s) about the settling of the SE areas of the US?
Specifically, setting of GA, AL, MS and TN, across the Appalachians? And the battles fought against the..."

Trail of Tears, of course, by John Ehle. Apalachee, by Joyce Rockwood Hudson is excellent fiction based on fact. Jimmy Carter has an excellent novel based on facts book - The Hornet's Nest.

message 6: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Cleveland | 4 comments Rick wrote: "Is your book available as an "e-book"?"
Unfortunately ... no.

message 7: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Cleveland | 4 comments Hello everyone. Just wanted to let you know that my book, Roots of Faith, written in the genre of Historical Fiction with a strong Christian theme, will be placed in the Goodreads Giveaway program starting September 5th. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Roots of Faith

message 8: by Edward (new)

Edward | 13 comments Not About war as such but a great read you may enjoy
Follow the River JAMES ALEXANDER Thom (Author)