The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Important Items > Nominations Closed August 2017 Group Read - I / J Authors

Comments (showing 1-50 of 69) (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
OK folks. Firstly, Happy Canada Day!! It's Canada's 150th birthday today. Big party in Ottawa so I hear, although I also hear it's been raining, might put a damper on things a bit. Nope, just checked and it looks ok...

Anyway, let's get down to brass tacks. This is the group read thread for nominations for the August group read. Just a note about the new way we're going to do things.

The current group reads have been extended to end July, instead of just to 15 July. (That is the formal timing, the threads are never closed if you want to add comments at any time.)
The nominations and poll for the August read will run until 15 July. Then the two books will be chosen and you will have two weeks to get the book(s) and start reading. The threads for the August read will start August 1. (Make sense?) You can check this thread that might explain it better... https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

OK now. For August's nominations the category is Author's who's last name starts with either I or J. The field is wide open as we haven't had any authors in the last 3 years that fit the category.

The basic rules for Group reads still apply -

a) this is not the place for authors to nominate their own books,
b) if you nominate a book and it wins, you are the discussion leader. If you don't want to take an active role as the moderator, then please please please don't nominate a book.
c) please use the "add book/author" feature when making your nomination.

I'll keep the nominations open until we get 15 - 20 books. Good luck!

message 2: by Bill, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 10, 2017 12:31PM) (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
List of Nominated Books

1. Remote Control by Kotaro Isaka (nominated by Carol)
2. Spirit of Steamboat by Craig Johnson (nominated by M.)
3. An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by P.D. James (nominated by Nancy)
4. Outrage by Arnaldur Indriðason (nominated by Gisela)
5. Twilight by Peter James (nominated by Bill)
6. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (nominated by Tom)
7. The Pawn by Steven James (Nominated by M.L. **)
8. A Very Private Enterprise by Elizabeth Ironside (nominated by Carolyn)

message 3: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 287 comments Can I nominate News of the World

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 8237 comments I nominate Remote Control by Kotaro Isaka.

message 5: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments I never give up nominating the NYTimes Longmire author and I'll be seeing Craig Johnson and his wife Judy at Writer's Police Academy in Aug. How about a shorter option of "Spirit of Steamboat" for a Christmas in July read? It stands alone well even though it is a fairly recent release.

message 6: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 6394 comments Mod
I'll nominate An Unsuitable Job for a Woman, by PD James. This is not one of her Dalgliesh novels, but rather first in a very short two-volume series featuring a female PI, Cordelia Gray.

message 7: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
Gisela wrote: "Can I nominate News of the World"

It doesn't sound like a mystery, Gisela..

message 8: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
M. wrote: "I never give up nominating the NYTimes Longmire author and I'll be seeing Craig Johnson and his wife Judy at Writer's Police Academy in Aug. How about a shorter option of "Spirit of Steamboat" for ..."

Spirit of Steamboat by Craig Johnson

message 9: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
I have a couple of possible nominations, will wait and see what else is nominated first... :)

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye Skye | 2042 comments I'll be honest: I can't find a mystery with an author's last name that begins with I or J; at least none that I have, and I don't want to nominate and not have the book to be ready to go.

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye Skye | 2042 comments Bill wrote: "M. wrote: "I never give up nominating the NYTimes Longmire author and I'll be seeing Craig Johnson and his wife Judy at Writer's Police Academy in Aug. How about a shorter option of "Spirit of Stea..."

I have many of his books on my TBR list from your recommendations.

message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "I'll be honest: I can't find a mystery with an author's last name that begins with I or J; at least none that I have, and I don't want to nominate and not have the book to be ready to go."

http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/I_A...
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/J_A...

message 13: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Question: everyone knows about stopyourekillingme. com, right? If you don't, it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with this website

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

another one some of you may know -- I mention these here since Bill's been doing alpha by author -- is fantastic fiction:

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/

It's also a great website for finding what's been recently published (or coming soon).

message 15: by Skye (new)

Skye Skye | 2042 comments Nancy wrote: "Skye wrote: "I'll be honest: I can't find a mystery with an author's last name that begins with I or J; at least none that I have, and I don't want to nominate and not have the book to be ready to ..."

Thanks, Nancy!

message 16: by Skye (new)

Skye Skye | 2042 comments Nancy wrote: "another one some of you may know -- I mention these here since Bill's been doing alpha by author -- is fantastic fiction:

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/

It's also a great website for finding w..."

It's wonderful!!

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ervin | 27 comments Longmire is one of my husband's favorite characters. Five years of the TV series was not enough. Husband Bill is not a fiction reader. He's all about history and politics and biographies––nonfiction. On the other hand, I write fiction. He's tolerant, but a non fan. Craig Johnson suits us both. Please do encourage production of his work. Thank you.

message 18: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
Thanks Nancy. I hope it helps give people some ideas.. :)

message 19: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 287 comments Bill wrote: "Gisela wrote: "Can I nominate News of the World"

It doesn't sound like a mystery, Gisela.."

Nancy wrote: "I'll nominate An Unsuitable Job for a Woman, by PD James. This is not one of her Dalgliesh novels, but rather first in a very short two-volume series featuring a female PI, Cordelia G..."

Oh man, that's the second nominations I messed up. Got to stop nominating in my lunch break. Clearly no brainpower left. .

I have read the Dagliesh books years and years ago and wouldn't mind revisitng those.

Can I nominate Outrage by Arnaldur Indridason instead.

message 20: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
Gisela wrote: "Bill wrote: "Gisela wrote: "Can I nominate News of the World"

It doesn't sound like a mystery, Gisela.."

Nancy wrote: "I'll nominate An Unsuitable Job for a Woman, b..."

You can indeed. :)

message 21: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Skye wrote: "I'll be honest: I can't find a mystery with an author's last name that begins with I or J; at least none that I have, and I don't want to nominate and not have the book t..."

You're very welcome!

message 22: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill wrote: "Thanks Nancy. I hope it helps give people some ideas.. :)"

My pleasure.

message 23: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
I'll nominate Twilight by Peter James.

message 24: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
I'll keep this open for a few more days then set up the poll..

message 25: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill wrote: "I'll keep this open for a few more days then set up the poll.."

Did you send a message to everyone? There seems to be a lot less nominations than usual.

message 26: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (Tom471) | 924 comments I also like Craig Johnson and have nominated one of his books in the past. I have read Spirit of Steamboat and strongly recommend it. My wife and I started reading the books after watching the tv series.

message 27: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (Tom471) | 924 comments Belated Happy Canada day to Bill and other Canadians. I wrote a review of Spirit of Steamboat on GR.

message 29: by Skye (new)

Skye Skye | 2042 comments I think the reason for less nominations are due to the I, J last names. I won't nominate unless I actually have the book and intend to read it. I didn't have any that appeared on the lists.

message 30: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "I think the reason for less nominations are due to the I, J last names. I won't nominate unless I actually have the book and intend to read it. I didn't have any that appeared on the lists."

Do you use the library, Skye?

message 31: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Tom wrote: "How about We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson?"

nice one.

message 32: by Skye (new)

Skye Skye | 2042 comments Nancy wrote: "Skye wrote: "I think the reason for less nominations are due to the I, J last names. I won't nominate unless I actually have the book and intend to read it. I didn't have any that appeared on the l..."

No, Nancy; it's not close to where I live, believe it or not, and I have so many of my own books right here.

message 33: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
I probably should have thrown in the 'K' as well.. oh well.

message 34: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
Tom wrote: "How about We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson?"

Strange, interesting book, Tom.

message 35: by Skye (new)

Skye Skye | 2042 comments Bill wrote: "I probably should have thrown in the 'K' as well.. oh well."

Next time, Bill! No worries. I am enjoying Black Water Lilies

message 36: by Skye (new)

Skye Skye | 2042 comments I'm also reading U Is for Undertow and a Tudor non fiction book about the infamous six wives.

message 37: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 316 comments I'll nominate The Pawn by Steven James.

message 38: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 316 comments M.L. Roberts wrote: "I'll nominate The Pawn by Steven James."

Oops! On the chance it would be selected, I can't make the moderator commitment next month so I'll withdraw it. Sorry for the confusion. :)

message 39: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
M.L. Roberts wrote: "M.L. Roberts wrote: "I'll nominate The Pawn by Steven James."

Oops! On the chance it would be selected, I can't make the moderator commitment next month so I'll with..."

There haven't been a lot of nominations, M.L. I'll include anyway, unless I suddenly get overwhelmed with nominations. If it should win, I'll moderate this time. Thanks.

message 40: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
I'll set the poll up sometime tomorrow, leave it open for a few final nominations, if any. Otherwise it'll be a short but select group.. :)

message 41: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 8237 comments Bill wrote: "I'll set the poll up sometime tomorrow, leave it open for a few final nominations, if any. Otherwise it'll be a short but select group.. :)"

I couldn't be happier :)

message 42: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Bill wrote: "I'll set the poll up sometime tomorrow, leave it open for a few final nominations, if any. Otherwise it'll be a short but select group.. :)"

I couldn't be happier :)"

:0)

message 44: by Wend (new)

Wend (Wends) | 44 comments The Shirley Jackson book I really enjoyed. A short list to vote with several I'd love to read, but I will only vote and read for books I own or can get hold of at a very cheap price. I have so many I have a self-imposed, not really working buying ban. However one title I note is available on kindle unlimited in UK so will get my vote.

An author I've enjoyed reading is Ragnar Jónasson's Dark Iceland series, I have P.D James to read, sadly not the chosen book. A good list

message 45: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3731 comments Mod
The poll is up on the Group's Poll page.. https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...
As I requested in the email, plse don't vote if you aren't prepared to discuss your book should it win. Thanks very much.

message 46: by AH (new)

AH | 83 comments oh are the nominations closed? I didn't get an email this month by the looks of things. I was going to recommend either Michael Jecks or Kazuo Ishiguro.

Some EXCELLENT authors nominated this month though so I won't know who to go for :)

message 47: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

AH wrote: "oh are the nominations closed? I didn't get an email this month by the looks of things. I was going to recommend either Michael Jecks or Kazuo Ishiguro.

Some EXCELLENT..."

I wasn't aware that Ishiguro wrote crime.

message 48: by AH (new)

AH | 83 comments Nancy wrote: "AH wrote: "oh are the nominations closed? I didn't get an email this month by the looks of things. I was going to recommend either Michael Jecks or Kazuo Ishiguro.

Som..."

me neither! but in the links given it lists him as a mystery writer with Never Let Me Go. so as it is listed as a mystery in there i thought i could nominate as its a great read? anyhow so many great authors this month i have struggled with who to vote for :)

message 49: by AH (new)

AH | 83 comments Nancy wrote: "AH wrote: "oh are the nominations closed? I didn't get an email this month by the looks of things. I was going to recommend either Michael Jecks or Kazuo Ishiguro.

Som..."

on this list:

http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/I_A...

message 50: by Harper (new)

Harper Sutherland | 6 comments Bill wrote: "List of Nominated Books

1. Remote Control by Kotaro Isaka (nominated by Carol)
2. Spirit of Steamboat by Craig Johnson (nominated by ..."

I loved An Unsuitable Job for a Woman! Been thinking about reading it again. I haven't loved P.D. James's other books nearly as much.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.