Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Twelfth Night
This topic is about Twelfth Night
William Shakespeare Collection > Twelfth Night - NO spoilers

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 5689 comments Mod
This is our Old School Classic Group Read for July 2017.

Please use this thread for general, spoiler free discussion of Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

If you wish to discuss the plot in more detail, then please use the spoiler thread here

If you would like a free copy of the book, here are some links for online and audio versions:

Project Gutenberg

Amazon UK

Amazon.com

Librivox There are 3 versions to choose from

It's also available on the serial reader app (9 issues) for those who use it :)

Francisca | 364 comments As we're now reading one of the comedies, I thought this video was relevant: Reduced Shakespeare Company: The Comedies

I'm excited to read this one! :)

Loretta | 2622 comments I'll be joining in this read! Really looking forward to it! 😊

message 4: by Melanti, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melanti | 2413 comments Mod
I'll obviously be joining in here, but the play's not til the last week of the month, so I'll probably wait until then to re-read it. I like having it as fresh in my memory as possible when I go see it.

I have read it before, though, so I hope I can still chime in on some of the discussion.

message 5: by Pink, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 5689 comments Mod
Just reserved my copy. I'd like to go and see it performed too, but I might have to content myself with watching it online instead.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 420 comments So far, I have only read Shakespeare's tragedies. If I have time, I may have to check this out.

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 549 comments I'll be joining in on this one too. This one has been on my list for awhile.

Renee | 542 comments I never got around to Othello last month, so I'll be reading that one first. Looking forward to this one though, because I got us tickets to see it next month.

Madeline | 6 comments So excited to start reading this one tonight! My future mother-in-law recently gave me the complete works of Shakespeare and I'll just use this as a starting point in my exploration of Shakespeare!

Loretta | 2622 comments So happy that there's a lot of interest in reading this play. Can't wait for all the discussions. Happy reading to us all! 😊

message 11: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (KrystalLyn) | 2 comments Madeline wrote: "So excited to start reading this one tonight! My future mother-in-law recently gave me the complete works of Shakespeare and I'll just use this as a starting point in my exploration of Shakespeare!"
What a wonderful gift! I received the complete works of Shakespeare as well, it's fantastic to have in your collection :)

message 12: by Cynda loves cool cats (last edited Jul 01, 2017 08:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cynda loves cool cats (CyndaLovesCoolCats) | 435 comments I have a Bevington. I am watching on my favorite book vendor for the right price for a Riverside. I had a Riverside once. It got some book mold that I couldn't cope with, so I had to let it go. The Bevington is more accessible. The Riverside more historical. I prefer the history.

Cynda loves cool cats (CyndaLovesCoolCats) | 435 comments I was watching about the first act of 1989 movie version of Twelfth Night with Helena Bonham Carter. Formsome reason I was not terribly impressed but definitely disappointed. I will have to find another version to watch on YouTube.

Michaela's Journey into Books | 18 comments I've been meaning to read more Shakespeare for a while so can't wait to read this one.

Ciera (cfree7) | 126 comments Twelfth Night has been one of my favorite comedies I have read so far of Shakespeare! It's a lot of fun!

message 16: by Phil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil Jensen | 563 comments I get a big kick out of this one! It's really funny. It's also got some interesting gender subtext going on, so I look forward to the comments.

message 17: by Tonia (new) - rated it 1 star

Tonia (yestonia) | 226 comments I don't know what it is, but I cannot get going on this one at all - and I have tried a few times at different times in the day in case my mood is affecting me, I have tried listening to the Loyal Books version too, but it just feels impenetrable.

Think I shall just bow out of this read.

message 18: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon | 2 comments Tonia wrote: "I don't know what it is, but I cannot get going on this one at all - and I have tried a few times at different times in the day in case my mood is affecting me, I have tried listening to the Loyal ..."

Do not feel alone here.
I tried on the original, then the no fear translation, then my personal Oxford Collection copy. This book reads in a similar manner to a soap opera, and not in a positive way for me.

I certainly won't say that it's a bad book, just rather that I really couldn't get much enjoyment out of it. Much more excited for the August list.

message 19: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 549 comments Tonia wrote: "I don't know what it is, but I cannot get going on this one at all - and I have tried a few times at different times in the day in case my mood is affecting me, I have tried listening to the Loyal ..."

I'm struggling to get into it too. Can't see to be interested for more than 5-6 pages at a time.

message 20: by Jen from Quebec :0) (last edited Jul 18, 2017 08:37AM) (new) - added it

Jen from Quebec :0) (MuppetBaby99) | 165 comments I had an unaltered, original text, but found it difficult to keep track of 'who's who' as this is a gender-bending comedy (and therefore, some characters are known by 2 different personas!) SO, I got the MODERN SHAKESPEARE EDITORS EDITION - it has the play, with modern translations included underneath the dialogue, and certain puns and slang terms explained. Once this was bought, I got an Audible audio version for cheap, so I could hear different VOICES for each character as well....Then, I re-started my reading of the play.

A WORLD of difference! For 3 bucks, I now own a much more accessible version, and with all the puns explained, I find the humor much more easily- the subtle humor, not the humor from the love mix-ups and identity changes. Shakespeare was quite the dirty old man, eh?? --Jen from Quebec :0)

Twelfth Night THIS is the best edition that I have found so far- my enjoyment of the play increased tenfold! Twelfth Night (The Modern Shakespeare The Original Play with a Modern Translation) by William Shakespeare

These MODERN SHAKESPEARE EDITOR versions are about 3 dollars (Canadian) each, and there are about 12 plays or so that are published in these versions. --J from Q :0)

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Twelfth Night (other topics)
Twelfth Night (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

William Shakespeare (other topics)