Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives of Old Topics > July Non Romance Listening

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 2106 comments Mod
What other books in genres other than romance are you listening to this month?

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Last night, I finished listening to Copper River by William Kent Krueger, Cork O'Connor #6, and am still loving this series. Here's my review.

I'm now listening to Nine Dragons by Michael Connelly. Harry Bosch Universe #19.
Copper River (Cork O'Connor, #6) by William Kent Krueger Nine Dragons (Harry Bosch, #15; Mickey Haller, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #18) by Michael Connelly

message 3: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 155 comments I love Michael Connelly's HARRY BOSCH series, but 9 Dragons was not a favorite of mine.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Most of my friends had mixed views about it. So far, so good. I'm just glad to be back in Harry's world.

message 5: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 496 comments Finished Murder on Black Swan Lane by Andrea Penrose. The narration was really well done by new to me narrator James Cameron Stewart. The mystery was well done but not too convoluted and there were some intriguing hints about the main characters that I'm hoping will be explored in coming titles.

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 533 comments Jonetta wrote: "Most of my friends had mixed views about it. So far, so good. I'm just glad to be back in Harry's world."

It wasn't my favorite Bosch book either

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

I get what you mean, Paris, now that I finished.

I finished listening to Nine Dragons by Michael Connelly, Harry Bosch Universe #18, and had mixed feelings. Here's my review.

I'm now listening to The Fix by David Baldacci, Amos Decker #3.
Nine Dragons (Harry Bosch, #15; Mickey Haller, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #18) by Michael Connelly The Fix (Amos Decker #3) by David Baldacci

message 9: by Maddy (new)

Maddy Barone (MaddyBarone) | 40 comments I am listening to The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir

strangely, several of the podcasts I'm listening to right now are covering the same six women. It's getting a bit redundant. But the narrator does a good job and it's good background while I'm working.

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to The Fix by David Baldacci, Amos Decker #3, and enjoyed it. This was more procedural than action but it worked for me. Here's my review.

I'm now listening to The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson.
The Fix (Amos Decker #3) by David Baldacci The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson

message 11: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 155 comments I have wanted to listen to THE FIX by David Baldacci, but I have a problem with Kyf Brewer. He's pretty good at doing most of the male voices.

But when it comes to doing Amos's voice he makes him sound like a 16 to 18 year old teenager and that drives me up the wall.

I wish a different male narrator had been chosen.

message 12: by Jonetta (new)

Listen to a sample and see if it's better. The duality narration was problematic in the first two books. They were great in this one. I didn't notice that about Decker but it may be the same for you in this one.

message 13: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1085 comments Mod
Did they switch narrators from the first two books?

message 14: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 155 comments Orlagh Cassidy is alright as a narrator. I've listened to her other stuff.

I wasn't always crazy about Ron McClarty reading every Baldacci book. I loved him doing the CAMEL CLUB series.

I just have a problem with Kyf Brewer.

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Samantha wrote: "Did they switch narrators from the first two books?"

No, they just perfected their roles.

This is the only series I've ever listened to using duality narration (each narrator performs all dialogue and thoughts for their character, regardless of whose point of view is up front) and the first book was pretty rough. It was much better with the second but really good this time.

message 16: by Paris (kerbytejas) (last edited Jul 13, 2017 11:09AM) (new)

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 533 comments listening to The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1) by Loreth Anne WhiteThe Drowned Girls - far edger than the author's other books

message 17: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson and it was truly diabolical. Here's my review.

I'm now listening to Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah.
The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina | 53 comments I've been on a bit of a science fiction kick for a while, and I've listened to several good ones. I really enjoyed Dark Horse Dark Horse (Class 5, #1) by Michelle Diener. The story and the performance were both good.

I just finished book 2 in the Confederation series by Tanya Huff. The first two books are Valor's Choice Valor's Choice (Confederation #1) by Tanya Huff and The Better Part of Valor The Better Part of Valor (Confederation #2) by Tanya Huff. I plan to listen to more in this series.

And I started the month out with Honor's Knight (Paradox #2) by Rachel Bach Honor's Knight which is book 2 in a trilogy.

All of these have strong female protagonists, and I have really enjoyed them all.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments I started listening to Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner this am - fits a challenge in another group - I think I got it as an audible daily deal a year or so ago

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah, excellently narrated by Susan Ericksen. Here's my review.

I'm now listening to The Reversal by Michael Connelly, Harry Bosch Universe #19.
Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah The Reversal (Harry Bosch, #16; Mickey Haller, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #19) by Michael Connelly

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to The Reversal by Michael Connelly, Harry Bosch Universe #19, and loved it...until the end. Here's my review.

I'm now listening to Thunder Bay by William Kent Krueger, Cork O'Connor #7.
The Reversal (Harry Bosch, #16; Mickey Haller, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #19) by Michael Connelly Thunder Bay (Cork O'Connor, #7) by William Kent Krueger

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Thunder Bay by William Kent Krueger, Cork O'Connor #7, and loved it!!! Here's my review.
Thunder Bay (Cork O'Connor, #7) by William Kent Krueger

message 23: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 155 comments Children of the Revolution (Inspector Banks, #21) by Peter Robinson by Peter Robinson

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments I'm listening to Hag-Seed

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.