Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives of Old Topics > July Romance Listening

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 2104 comments Mod
What romance books are you listening to this month?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments I'm listening to the next Katie Ruggle Search and Rescue romance/mystery - Gone Too Deep - hero is a literal strong silent type (2.5hrs in and he's said maybe 25words)

message 3: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Dee wrote: "I'm listening to the next Katie Ruggle Search and Rescue romance/mystery - Gone Too Deep - hero is a literal strong silent type (2.5hrs in and he's said maybe 25words)"

Let me know what you think of this one. I put it down because I was bored but am thinking about picking it back up. I read the first two books and enjoyed them so I'm not sure if it's the book or I just don't like the narration. Something about it was just not working for me.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments I'm enjoying it - but you have to like a book that is more introspective, than conversation driven - since George hardly talks - it has (at least for me) more suspense than romance than the previous ones

message 5: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (KathyBrown) | 211 comments I recently finished Love Hacked (Knitting in the City, #3) by Penny ReidLove Hacked by Penny Reid and Imperfect Chemistry (Imperfect, #1) by Mary FrameImperfect Chemistry by Mary Frame. I enjoyed both stories, the narration was well done.

Next up Alaska Wild by Helena NewburyAlaska Wild by Helena Newbury

** BTW - The ebook for Imperfect chemistry is currently free at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Imperfect-Chem...

message 6: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (KathyBrown) | 211 comments I finished Alaska Wild by Helena Newbury yesterday, it was okay, not great. I liked the dual narration, but the heroine was on the brink of tears or breaking down throughout the story, it was annoying. The story felt long, I actually quit listening at 80% and finished up by reading the ebook. Kind of disappointing.

Started It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips . I read it many years ago and loved it, I was excited to see it available with my overdrive library. So far the narration by Anna Fields is excellent, lots of funny moments.

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

KathyB wrote: "I finished Alaska Wild by Helena Newbury yesterday, it was okay, not great. I liked the dual narration, but the heroine was on the brink of tears or breaking down throughout the story, it was an..."

I so wish I'd known about library audiobooks when I read the Chicago Stars series. Must be lovely listening to those books.

message 8: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (KathyBrown) | 211 comments Jonetta wrote: "I so wish I'd known about library audiobooks when I read the Chicago Stars series. Must be lovely listening to those books. ..."

It's fun revisiting these oldies, they still hold up so many years later. I read most of the series over 20 years ago, so the details are a bit foggy. I've forgotten how funny and well written they are, definitely fun listening!

message 9: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1300 comments Yeah, the Chicago Stars series is one of those that definitely holds up. :)

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (BookwormRDH) | 89 comments I've read/ listened to most of the Chicago Stars series over the last 2 years and have loved them! Didn't even realize they were that old.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments I'm listening to The Thing About Love - Julie James - but wow, the chip on Jessica's shoulder is like a redwood (according to the tweet response I got back, its because its hard being a woman in the FBI...yeah, but being in a male dominated career field - I know what its like and there is just some stuff that doesn't fly...)

alternating with In Safe Hands to finish out the Search and Rescue series - an agoraphobic heroine could be interesting

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda (blondieblack) | 81 comments I didn't feel that way at all! I loved listening to The Thing About Love from start to finish... In fact, I've loved the entire series. Someone on here had recommended it to me and I'm forever grateful that they did.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments maybe its just because I have experience with a scenario like that and acting like Jessica did would make very uncomfortable work scenarios

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Camp (deborahcamp) | 27 comments Just finished listening to Duke of Manhattan. Shane East did a great job. The book was okay until near the end when it went cliche and dragged on for two or three pointless chapters. Duke of Manhattan by Louise Bay

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1083 comments Mod
Finally went back to The Girl On Legare Street The Girl On Legare Street (Tradd Street, #2) by Karen White and finished it. I liked the ghost aspect a lot in this one. I'm frustrated with Mellie and Jack. At least I'm working on my series challenge :)

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

Yay!

message 17: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1300 comments Dee wrote: "I'm listening to The Thing About Love - Julie James - but wow, the chip on Jessica's shoulder is like a redwood (according to the tweet response I got back, its because its hard bei..."

Yeah...her chip on her shoulder was humongous. I still liked the book but at the beginning, she can be hard to take.

message 18: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1300 comments I've started several audios and I can't seem to finish any of them...sigh...
Bossman by Vi Keeland The First Taste by Jessica Hawkins Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1) by J.T. Geissinger

message 19: by Samantha (new)

D.G. wrote: "I've started several audios and I can't seem to finish any of them...sigh...
Bossman by Vi KeelandThe First Taste by Jessica HawkinsSweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1) by J.T. Geissinger"

I hate when that happens.

message 20: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments D.G. wrote: "I've started several audios and I can't seem to finish any of them...sigh...
Bossman by Vi KeelandThe First Taste by Jessica HawkinsSweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1) by J.T. Geissinger"

I've got several still sitting on my zip clip that I'll probably never get back to. Sometimes when I get discouraged I do a re-listen of a favorite.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments D.G. wrote: "Dee wrote: "I'm listening to The Thing About Love - Julie James - but wow, the chip on Jessica's shoulder is like a redwood (according to the tweet response I got back, its because ..."

glad I'm not the only one who feels that way

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments finished up In Safe Hands this am - spent most of the book yelling at the characters to look in front of their nose to find the bad guy (don't worry, no spoilers)

message 23: by Samantha (new)

I am listening to The Winter Bride The Winter Bride (Chance Sisters, #2) by Anne Gracie. I decided to go the historical route.

message 24: by Samantha (new)

Dee wrote: "finished up In Safe Hands this am - spent most of the book yelling at the characters to look in front of their nose to find the bad guy (don't worry, no spoilers)"

Lol. So what would you rate it?

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments I'd probably give it 3 stars - I liked the two main characters (cop and a woman who is agoraphobic) and the mystery was ok, but the reader/listening knew who the bad guy was all along, so it was kind of frustrating (there are authors who do the know bad guy storyline better)

message 26: by Samantha (last edited Jul 17, 2017 07:50AM) (new)

An agorapbobic is interesting.

See that is tricky in romantic suspense.

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments I will say though that I had the bad guy pegged book 2 in the series, so I wasn't all that surprised with the reveal, which maybe added to my fustration

message 28: by Samantha (new)

Oh, he was in multiple books? That is even worse. Lol.

message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments yup - the 4 book series has an overall mystery/suspense arc

message 30: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (KathyBrown) | 211 comments Recently finished - Sacking the Quarterback by Samantha Towle by Samantha Towle (3 Stars) and It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1) by Marina Adair by Marina Adair (3.5 Stars).

Next up - After the Night by Linda Howard by Linda Howard

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments I just finished listening to Assigned a Mate - I've been on a bit of an alien sci-if kick recently - narrated by Kylie Stewart (new to me narrator)

Just started Take Me Back - narrated by Andi Arndt and Zachary Webber

message 32: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (KathyBrown) | 211 comments I finished After the Night by Linda HowardAfter the Night and rated it 4.5 Stars. Dysfunctional and not at all PC, but it worked for me, I loved it.

Currently listening to Winter Stroll (Winter #2) by Elin HilderbrandWinter Stroll by Elin Hilderbrand. I listened to the first book in the series Winter Street and liked it enough to pick up Winter Stroll. It's 3 book series with each story ending on a cliffhanger/to be continued. I probably wouldn't buy these, but fortunately the series is available with my Overdrive library. So far it's good, quite a few laughs.

message 33: by Jonetta (new)

I'm now listening to Alone In the Dark by Karen Rose, Romantic Suspense #17.
Alone In the Dark (Romantic Suspense, #17; Cincinnati, #2) by Karen Rose

message 34: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1300 comments Just finished After We Fall by Melanie Harlow, which is a book I got yesterday after KathyB posted it in the Whispersync deals.

It has the right mix of sexy, humor, pain and romance. I both laughed AND cried. It was soooo good!!! Please get it everybody, specially at the super low price.

message 35: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1300 comments KathyB wrote: "I finished After the Night by Linda HowardAfter the Night and rated it 4.5 Stars. Dysfunctional and not at all PC, but it worked for me, I loved it.."

LOL, I feel you. I really liked that book too!

message 36: by Laura (Kyahgirl) (new)

Laura (Kyahgirl) (Kyahgirl) | 28 comments D.G. wrote: "I've started several audios and I can't seem to finish any of them...sigh...

I started Boss Man this month too but stopped after an hour or so. I am sick of the same old tropes in contemporary romance.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.