Read by Theme discussion

What We're Reading > July 2017: Heritage/Ethnicity Titles

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (AFTanith) | 731 comments Our July poll has closed, and this month's theme will be "Titles Referencing Heritage/Ethnicity"!

For this theme, all heritages and ethnicities are welcome. And of course, the heritage or ethnicity you choose to read about need not be your own!

For example, titles that fit this theme include everything from fiction, such as Skinwalkers by Tony Hillerman or Happy to Be Nappy by bell hooks, to nonfiction, such as The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X or The Vikings: A History by Robert Ferguson.

If you don't know where to start looking for something to read this month, you may be interested in checking Goodreads' Cultural Heritage genre page. Alternately, you can ask for recommendations below; I'm sure someone will be able to point a fellow reader in the right direction!

Remember that once you've finished your book(s) for the month, you're always welcome to start a discussion topic (which works best if there are others in the group who have read or are currently reading the book in question) or post your thoughts (or just drop a link to your review!) in the thread below.

And don't forget to vote on the poll for August's theme, which can be found here. The poll for September's theme will be posted as soon as possible.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne | 68 comments I will be reading Gypsy Boy by Mikey Walsh, a true story.
Gypsy Boy by Mikey Walsh

message 4: by Silver (new)

Silver I was intrigued by this theme but when it came to choosing a book I was not sure what to choose or what would fit. Reviewing my tbr shelf I came across a title that I thought would prove a unique interpretation of the theme.

I will be reading The Dog Master: A Novel of the First Dog

It is a heritage of man's best friend as well as a cultural heritage of very early man.

message 5: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (AFTanith) | 731 comments Silver wrote: "I was intrigued by this theme but when it came to choosing a book I was not sure what to choose or what would fit. Reviewing my tbr shelf I came across a title that I thought would prove a unique i..."

I love that interpretation of the theme! Never would've thought of it myself. ;)

I hope everyone's enjoying their books!