Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Two Liu Cixins

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Franklin (MadMountainMan) | 9 comments Liu Cixin appears to have two entries on Goodreads; one as Liu Cixin (correct Chinese ordering) and one as Cixin Liu (Western ordering).

Mike

message 2: by Lindoula (last edited Jul 01, 2017 12:41PM) (new)

Lindoula | 105 comments An author normally has one profile per version of their name. So if some of his books show Liu Cixin on the cover and others have Cixin Liu, it's fine for both profiles to exist. (ETA: And in fact, he has at least 4 profiles: these two Roman alphabet ones, one in traditional Chinese characters, and one in simplified characters.)

In such cases, one of the profiles will be considered primary. This primary author version should be listed as first author on all the author's works. Then other versions can be listed as secondary. In this case, Liu Cixin is the primary author profile because it's the one claimed by the author.

If you spot any Cixin Liu works that don't also have Liu Cixin listed, please point them out and I'll fix them. I'm going to go take a look myself right now, but two sets of eyes always helps.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Franklin (MadMountainMan) | 9 comments Okay that makes sense. The one I couldn't find under Liu Cixin was Ball Lightning - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... - which was only linked to Cixin Liu but is now linked to both.

It's a bit difficult with some Eastern names where the Chinese should have it as Liu Cixin it is usually given as Cixin Liu on English translations.

message 4: by Lindoula (new)

Lindoula | 105 comments It's definitely an issue for several languages. Especially when a new release gets entered into the database, it may take some time for editors to notice that one of the name versions is missing and enter it in. Always feel free to ask someone to do it in this group. (Or, if you're so inclined, apply to be a volunteer librarian yourself.)

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike Franklin (MadMountainMan) | 9 comments Thank you for the offer :) Though I feel I'm sadly lacking in both knowledge and experience and, sadly, time :( But this only makes me all the more appreciative of the sterling work you folk do for us. Thank you!