The Convenient Marriage
This topic is about The Convenient Marriage
Group Reads > The Convenient Marriage July 2017 Group Read Chapters 11-22

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol ꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carol  ꧁꧂  | 2645 comments Mod
So how are you finding it so far?

Barb in Maryland | 310 comments I love Rule, I truly do. But Horry, charming as she is, exhausts me! Trying to keep up with her scrapes tires me out. Can't she just spend a quiet evening at home?

Susan in NC (SusanNCReader) | 1599 comments Yes! Totally agree on both points!

Teresa | 643 comments I liked the beginning of the book and thought here we go, a nice fiery, loyal to her family, heroine. Now I just think she's acting like a spoiled brat. Someone needs to put her over their knee and administer a spanking. I know she's young but she's a married woman and shouldn't be acting so childishly. I love Heyer but not so fond of this one. I'm actually feeling a little bored with it.

Sheila (in LA) (Sheila_in_LA) | 183 comments I am feeling more sympathetic to Horry after chapter 11, when she shows some loyalty to Rule (not realizing it's Rule she's playing cards with, not Lethbridge). And, at this point some of her bad behavior seems to be driven by jealousy, which makes me more on her side.

Before that, I was thinking he should have tried harder for Elizabeth.

QNPoohBear | 550 comments Sheila wrote: "I am feeling more sympathetic to Horry after chapter 11, when she shows some loyalty to Rule (not realizing it's Rule she's playing cards with, not Lethbridge). And, at this point some of her bad behavior seems to be driven by jealousy, which makes me more on her side.
."

I agree completely. She's also very young and the decision making part of her brain hasn't fully developed yet. I think Rule should have sent Horry back to the school room and gone for someone more mature. Horry may amuse him but now they're married and she's causing scandals left and right it's a different story.

Lethbridge is completely awful! I love the way Rule deals with him.

Drunk Pel and his friend invading Lethbridge's home to see if he's dead is too funny.

QNPoohBear | 550 comments Oh man... Pel and Pom's solution to Horry's problem is soooo wrong! Edward should not have gone along with it. This sequence of events makes for very entertaining reading for sure, but it's so unrealistic and crazy. I understand Horry better. She is the way she is because she's had absolutely 0 stable influence aside from her older sisters and everyone with sisters knows the younger never listen to the older. Pel is always drunk and/or fighting/and/or gambling. Horry needed a male influence with common sense when she was young enough to be made to mind.

So now I feel some sympathy for Horry. She's growing up but not there yet.