Dorothy Dunnett Book Club discussion

The Disorderly Knights > Part 3: Chapter 7: The Lusty May

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex Farrand (new)

Alex Farrand | 622 comments Mod
Discuss this chapter or anything previous.

message 2: by Alex Farrand (new)

He did not. Oh Joleta.

message 3: by SamuraiKitty (new)

SamuraiKitty | 153 comments Alex,
Oh, just keep reading girl friend :) (and then we can discuss this book!!!!!!) Ha!!!!!!!!

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Marsh | 46 comments Oh, Alex, he did and, although he was goaded, I can't help feeling it was a massive miscalculation (and Lymond does not usually miscalculate).

message 5: by Alex Farrand (new)

He did miscalculate. You guys don't know how hard I laughed when he told her what she needed was a "master".

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue Marsh | 46 comments Some hope!

message 7: by Alex Farrand (new)

Also, I have a feeling like Joleta is going to get pregnant. Everything is going to spiral out of control.

After reading this chapter I can see Lymond is trying to mature since the last novel. Sometimes I felt so awkward reading QP, because Lymond was out of control.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 21 comments Yes, he was out of control in QP, kind of like a modern-day spy who forgets his real persona and becomes his disguise, his "legend". Also, he had never had a chance to play since he was very young, and maybe he needed to get it out of his system. From that Thady Boy craziness, the pendulum swings far to the other end of the behavior spectrum with the Vervassal Herald persona. I believe the real Francis is somewhere in the middle, and reappeared for the rescue at the Lake, near the end of QP.

message 9: by Alex Farrand (new)

Totally agree Mary. 😄

message 10: by Giki (new)

Giki | 262 comments I think the author is reminding us that francis is not an easy hero/ role model, he is easy to idolise - talented/goodlooking etc - but he can also behave very badly and make terrible mistakes

message 11: by Alex Farrand (new)

I was thinking the same thing Giki. Lymond is written so well.

message 12: by Alex Farrand (new)

So many main characters have this invincible persona. I love his imperfections, which makes him more realistic.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 340 comments Mod
Makes him more realistic, in spite of all the unrealistic aspects. Also, makes the comparisons to Gabriel so brilliant and brittle throughout the two books. I just love this series so much!

message 14: by Giki (new)

Giki | 262 comments I don't think I was really able to forgive lymond his behavior here for the rest of the series, even though it was out of character - it was just so despicable, I had kind of built him up in my mind as the noble hero, doing the right thing even if it is difficult, invincible in combat and steadfast in the face of temptation from Gabriel. My devotion/respect/admiration kind of made me feel complict in his actions against Joleta. It is tough stuff.

message 15: by Alex Farrand (new)

I can understand that.