¡ POETRY ! discussion

CALLS FOR WORK - SUBMIT! > Open for Submissions Better than Starbucks

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Watkins (AnthonyUplandpoetWatkins) | 795 comments We are always looking for poetry, of ALL genres, as well as fiction and non fiction. We have published poetry and stories and interviews with several members of this group in the past and will be happy to consider work from anyone here (no promises on publication prior to reading)
Check us out, and consider sending us some of you previously unpublished, or previously published work, we accept both!

We are LIVE!!!!
betterthanstarbucks.org
Better Than Starbucks! July 2017 Vol. II No. VII, Not your ordinary poetry magazine!
If good coffee (or just the concept of coffee), great books, sharp wit, and great authors excite you, we are for you!

Better than Starbucks -- The Interview Ron Silliman
Featured Poem of the month The Solar Apogee of Indigo Mystics by Catherine Adel West
Fiction by Maddie Woda and Jennie Verhey
Non Fiction Threading a needle by Rohini Sunderam
General Poetry with Suzanne Robinson
William Doreski, Jessica Nieberg, James Keane, Jason Nicholas Smith, Kiik A.K.
Haiku with Kevin McLaughlin
Vera Ignatowitsch, Jill Rivera, Angie Davidson, Joseph Davidson, Glenn Ingersoll, Honorah Murphy, MistyRose Bosworth, A. E. (Elizabeth) Faris, Joan McNerney, David Rosen
Formal & Rhyming Poetry with Vera Ignatowitsch
Michael R. Burch, Peter Branson, Thomas Locicero, Kathryn Jacobs, John Beaton, Robert Youngs Pelgrift, Jr., Janice Canerdy
Translations with S. Ye Laird
Nikolay Gumilev translated by Don Mager and Yevgeny Bonver
ModPo & Experimental Poetry with Anthony Watkins
Shirley Jones-Luke, Adam Levon Brown
International Poetry with Rameeza Nasim, and Tendai Rinos Mwanaka
Mbizo Chirasha, Wanjohi wa Makokha, Christine Coates, Dr Dilantha Gunawardana, Mojtaba Darvishi Cohan, Jane Du, April Xu, Maziar Karim
…from the mad mind of the poet Anthony Uplandpoet Watkins

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The Weary Traveler

I was a weary traveler on a passenger train I boarded when I turned eighteen.
I thought the train an easy escape from the strife of my abusive family life.
It looked so inviting, so shiny, streamlined as the charming conductor took me aboard.
He said the train would speed me to my promised land… But only to discover it was a ride to a barren desert of sand.

At first the ride was exhilarating, the answer to all my woes. I saw and experienced new sights, sounds, and emotional ups and downs.
Then the train stopped on down the line and I disembarked full of hope and glee… Thinking I was at the right destination that was perfect for me.

And soon I found out, what the destination was about—it was a reality check that left me in doubt.
I had not escaped but only had traveled from one form of abuse to another.
So I boarded the train and fled as fast as I could, to what I thought would certainly be the next perfect destination for me.

But each station stop was all the same.
Nothing more but misery I gained.
And as the years passed by, I tried not to cry about how I had created a life that was about to die.
And it was during one endless trip of my mine, that I woke up and pulled the cable one last time… to finally disembark and make my life stable.

And as I walked away down the deck, I turned back to see…
A train that was battered, weather worn, neglected, and in need of repair.
Then I stopped and reflected about my free ride, only to realize…
It had cost me my life, limb, and nearly my hide.

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Watkins (AnthonyUplandpoetWatkins) | 795 comments cool, if you would like to submit this piece or any other, please follow the directions above