Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

Fangirl
This topic is about Fangirl
Book of the Month 2018 > July - Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia  | 17307 comments Mod
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell by Rainbow Rowell covers the works of Fandoms as our Book of the Month for July. So grab a copy and join in the discussion.

Shaw McKnight | 56 comments Read this one. Not usually my type of book but I enjoyed it. Good choice for July!

message 3: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy | 11534 comments Mod
I have already read this one. Enjoy!

message 4: by Sylvia (new)

Tracy wrote: "I have already read this one. Enjoy!"

Did you enjoy this?

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

Shaw wrote: "Read this one. Not usually my type of book but I enjoyed it. Good choice for July!"

Good to know...I too don't know if this is a book for me.

Farren (MmmCookies) Someone in another group chose this book for me to read this month so this works out perfectly! I wasn't very interested in the book, in fact I only recently added it to my TBR, but I loved Eliza and Her Monsters so my partner insists I try it.

message 7: by Sylvia (new)

Farren wrote: "Someone in another group chose this book for me to read this month so this works out perfectly! I wasn't very interested in the book, in fact I only recently added it to my TBR, but I loved Eliza a..."

Definitely works out perfectly for you ☺️ Happy Reading!

Geri I read this a while ago and loved it! It's in my favorites shelf. I hope everyone enjoys this book!

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 296 comments I keep hearing so much about Rainbow Rowell and keep meaning to read something by her.

message 10: by Sylvia (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "I keep hearing so much about Rainbow Rowell and keep meaning to read something by her."

Me too but I never seem really compelled to and I don't know why. This might be the chance to take the plunge.

Harshini  Ramanujam (watchmeread) | 106 comments I really enjoyed this one, cause I read it during my first year of uni and found it really relatable. I hope everyone finds something to take away from the book! :D

message 12: by Tracy (new) - added it

Sylvia wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I have already read this one. Enjoy!"

Did you enjoy this?"

It wasn't bad Sylvia. The ending just left me flat.

message 13: by Tracy (new) - added it

Farren wrote: "Someone in another group chose this book for me to read this month so this works out perfectly! I wasn't very interested in the book, in fact I only recently added it to my TBR, but I loved Eliza a..."

Two reasons to read it Farren.

message 14: by Tracy (new) - added it

Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "I keep hearing so much about Rainbow Rowell and keep meaning to read something by her."

Now is your chance Shera.

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1788 comments I adored this book! Anyone who likes a good contemporary should like this! Rainbow Rowell is amazing!

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 296 comments Definitely seems like my time has come to try out this author.

Yep, I won't lie though Carry On by Rainbow Rowell has captured my attention.

Farren (MmmCookies) Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Definitely seems like my time has come to try out this author.

Yep, I won't lie though Carry On by Rainbow Rowell has captured my attention."

I wasn't going to read Carry On, although I have heard it's best to read that one before Fangirl. But that new cover is sooo beautiful that I might just have to find it on sale some day soon ;)
The new edition of Fangirl is very pretty too, I love the artwork on the end pages!

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 296 comments Than maybe I will start with that one first.

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1788 comments I don't really think it matters. I read Fangirl first, and it did make me appreciate Carry On more, to know where it came from.

Kelly | 26 comments I've had this book in my TBR pile for a couple of months now and just haven't around to it yet. Maybe I'll have to add it to my holiday book pile and get it read this month.

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 296 comments Jenny wrote: "I don't really think it matters. I read Fangirl first, and it did make me appreciate Carry On more, to know where it came from."

Okay, so I might go by publication date then. But Carry On really as piqued my interests.

message 22: by Tracy (last edited Jul 05, 2017 04:44PM) (new) - added it

Kelly wrote: "I've had this book in my TBR pile for a couple of months now and just haven't around to it yet. Maybe I'll have to add it to my holiday book pile and get it read this month."

Sounds like a good idea.

Laura Basaldua (LLBasaldua) | 1470 comments Oh I didnt even realize we was in July !!
Looking forward to this one I have almost all her books and havent gotten to one of them yet!

BookPusher D (BookpusherD) | 58 comments I thought I read more of Rainbow's books and after just checking, I have only read 2. I am not a huge contemporary reader, I have to be in the mood to keep focussed on one. I did read this one 3yrs ago, and found it relatable in the fandom aspect. I was a closet X-men, DC, and Star Wars fangirl that "came out" after college. I also became a booknerd after graduation as well.

I like to think that if I was a reader in high school I prob would have been Cath.. lol I don't really do fanfic, but in those early Twilight and Deathly Hallows days I did get to read a few good fics.. I also was part of a few very hardcore HP bookclub/competition groups online. My favorite was on cafemoms, those mommas were competitive and were brilliant in creating an online Hogwarts School with Quidditch, regular Classes, OWLS, and House pride.

I think I enjoyed Fangirl b/c it reminded me of that little experience, which was so much fun. I did write a small Dramione fanfic for myself during that time, so it was easy to see how Cath got caught up in her Simon and Bas world.

To be honest her fanfic didn't pull me in though. I remember skipping over it to get to the main story, so I have no intent on reading Carry On. I wish I did but there are so many other books I want to get to.

I think I did like the romance of the MCs in this one. I can't recall all that happened, cuz it's been so long, but I look forward to hearing all your thoughts :)

D

katwiththehat | 9 comments The fanfic excerpts of this one didn't do much for me (to be honest, after the first few excerpts, I just started skipping them), but I loved the relationships the book explores, both between Levi and Cath, and also the familial and friendship relationships. Such interesting characters.

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1788 comments I hope you all give Carry On a chance. Its the book that has surprised me the most out of all the books I read this year.

It starts out feeling like a HP fanfic story at first, but after awhile, you completely forget about HP, Fangirl, etc, and the story takes over. One of the most interesting fantasies I've ever read. Baz himself makes the whole thing worth reading. I don't know how Rainbow Rowell pulled it off, but Carry On is just genius writing!

Kelly | 26 comments I've just finished Fangirl and my review is now on here as well if you want to read it. I really enjoyed the book and quite liked how the different excerpts linked in with what Cath was experiencing in current chapter.

I'd wanted to read it for a while and had it on my shelf for a ew months too, so I'm glad I enjoyed it.

Farren (MmmCookies) Well I finally read it. I thought because it was set in college I was hoping I'd fall in love with it, but it almost seemed very immature compared to a lot of other YA contemporaries I read. Probably because Cath kept crying and was just so... pure lol

I definitely liked Eliza and Her Monsters way more so I would recommend that book to people who love this one. The inspiration is very obvious, but it's just fleshed out better and focuses on anxiety and demanding fans.

After a while I started skipping the Simon Snow parts, too. I don't read Harry Potter so that could be why I found those excerpts so boring. I will have to take a pass on Carry On, even though the cover is screaming for me to buy it.

Stephanie Cassidy | 18 comments This is my next To Read book. I can't wait to read it.

katwiththehat | 9 comments It's super cute. Definitely going in my "having a sick day and need something to cheer me up" folder on the Kindle.

message 31: by Tracy (new) - added it

I have yet to read this one. Glad that some of you are enjoying it. Need to see if my library has this one.

☆*:.。. DANIELA .。.:*☆ Farren wrote: "Well I finally read it. I thought because it was set in college I was hoping I'd fall in love with it, but it almost seemed very immature compared to a lot of other YA contemporaries I read. Probab..."

While I enjoyed Fangirl, I also hated the fanfiction parts. In all honesty, being a huge fangirl for years, Cath didn't seem like a real fangirl. We hardly ever saw her act like one, and when she did she was very 'stereotypical'.
You might like Carry On if you haven't read any of the HP books. I honestly hated it because I was a huge HP nerd and do consider that one as horrible AU fanfiction (sorry Carry On lovers!). But since you will have a much fresher view on it, you might enjoy it. Rowell is great with characters, and it shows with this book as well. My only word of warning is that if you are into fantasy of any type, you'll find the plot very lacking and some character stories unnecessary. But I'm very plot-driven, so that may just be me.
Eliza and Her Monsters I've been curious about, especially because Fangirl was lacking in Fandom. I've heard mixed reviews, so I'm willing to try it.

Farren (MmmCookies) I'm surprised you've heard mixed reviews Daniela, I've never heard anything but praise for Eliza and Her Monsters. I had a couple issues with it and still rated it 4.5 stars because I loved it that much. That's big coming from me, because those 1 and 5 star books are few and far between and have to really really earn such an extreme rating.

Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) (barbifayethebookfae) | 52 comments I noticed Christine (Polandbananas) on YouTube said she recently gave Fangirl a reread, and liked it differently after reading Carry On. I couldn't get into Carry On myself: too much HP in the sauce!! Haa!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeGnB... Here's the linky-poo if you want to see her book review.

☆*:.。. DANIELA .。.:*☆ Farren wrote: "I'm surprised you've heard mixed reviews Daniela, I've never heard anything but praise for Eliza and Her Monsters. I had a couple issues with it and still rated it 4.5 stars because I loved it that..."
There are a few youtube reviewers I highly respect that have had issues with the character continuity. As in, the character went out of character at times. But at the same time, there are others that gave it great reviews. Even those who had issues with the book ENJOYED the book, so that's always a great sign.

message 36: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily Malik | 1 comments I've read a few years back. I can't say I enjoy it. I love contemporary books, but this one don't get me. When I finished it, there's a feeling kinda like "that's it??". When I finished We Were Liars, I was in shock. Mouth gaping shock. But for Fangirl, it's just an OK book for me.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fangirl (other topics)
Carry On (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rainbow Rowell (other topics)