World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > From cyber to real

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7792 comments With all those waves of recent cyber attacks, it's rather clear that at least in the short run these are gonna intensify and become worse.
Add into equation all those smart/stupid TVs, homes, refrigerators, cars, airplanes, space vehicles and other stuff that the current trend is to make them operable from afar through remote/cellphone controls and we are giving a cyberworld the tools to control the real world through this smart/dumb gadgetry.
Can you imagine cyber attacks causing TV sets to explode, overriding airplane controls or causing cars to clash? Or is it just a sci-fi/paranoia? -:)

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) | 1399 comments Nik wrote: "With all those waves of recent cyber attacks, it's rather clear that at least in the short run these are gonna intensify and become worse.
Add into equation all those smart/stupid TVs, homes, refri..."

Good question, and I would say its a bit of both. It does feel like an exploding tv might be a bit over the top, but considering how big the Internet of Things is going to be in the coming years and how much of our world will be accessible/connected, a bad hackjob will have the same effect.

Sure, you're devices might not explode. But after losing all your broadband access or watching your machines become inoperable, you might wish it had! :)

message 3: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1709 comments It doesn't seem beyond the pale to think that cyber attacks could result in Very Bad Things. I think exploding devices would be the least of it.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7792 comments Yes, internet of things. In the end gadgets won't be operable mechanically by our limbs, but electronically through voice or internet commands, it seems

message 5: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 1211 comments More likely, you'll see even more pervs gaining access to your baby monitors and trading footage with their perv friends...

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 4112 comments When my 'Bot War was BoM, nobody seemed to protest at the episode where driverless cars were hacked and made to crash into each other, or autopilots were to be taken over so, Nik, those suggestions of yours seem to be generally accepted :-) Forget exploding TVs - won't happen, unless you have lithium battery powered TVs because there is nothing to explode, and hopefully the lithium battery charging controls will not be linked to the internet. Personally, I can't see why my refrigerator or washing machine should be connected, so I would cancel that if I was forced to buy such a machine. I would also recommend taking power stations off the web. But the inability use computers would be bad.

message 7: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1709 comments I've covered up the camera on my laptop. I unplug appliances like my crock pot (of all things!) when not in use. Don't have a smart TV. No GPS or satellite radio in my car. Disable locations on my laptop and cell phone. I do what I can to foil Big Brother. Sounds pretty paranoid, I know.

message 8: by Nik (last edited Jul 04, 2017 11:13AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 7792 comments Scout wrote: "I do what I can to foil Big Brother. ..."

I'd rather they paid royalties for invasion of privacy - at least it would be something - over the table not under the table, since they have this private reality show available about any of us anyway -:)

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 4112 comments Yes, Nik, but look at it this way - so many reality shows are really boring and nobody would watch them if it were not for the fact that a large sum of money was at stake for a "winner". I mean, how many people really want to watch a whole lot of would be cooks running around in a kitchen? Probably not many because even the show's makers realize this and put the actual cooking as much in the background as possible, putting their time into caustic comments from judges. From Big Brother's point of view, can you imagine how thoroughly boring it all must be?

message 10: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7792 comments Ian wrote: "I mean, how many people really want to watch a whole lot of would be cooks running around in a kitchen?..."

I would have thought so too, but the rating of would-be cooks here is skyrocketing, so go figure.
BB probably uses machinery to sift through the very big data inflow and our reality show rarely gets to be seen by human eyes, I guess..

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 4112 comments My guess is it is not the cooks at all - it is the desire to watch the judges trash the competitors and to watch the competitors grin and bear it as harsh words came their way. The modern equivalent of gladiatorial contests :-(

message 12: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1709 comments Since you brought it up, Ian, I'd say that national sports are the modern equivalent of gladiatorial contests :)

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 4112 comments Scout wrote: "Since you brought it up, Ian, I'd say that national sports are the modern equivalent of gladiatorial contests :)"

You are not wrong there. Something like Superbowl has many of the characteristics, other than actual killing.