Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Connie D's 2017 Summer Roadtrip

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 88 comments Georgia - Alice Walker's ...

message 2: by Connie (last edited Jul 24, 2017 10:33PM) (new)

Connie D | 88 comments Completed Alice Walker's Possessing the Secret of Joy 7/21/17. 4 stars.

Possessing joy is hard to find in this book...so many dark feelings, which are completely expected since it's discussing the mutilation of female gentalia.

Despite the rather depressing situations and emotions, I loved the way Alice Walker revealed her characters' perspectives in alternating out-of-sequence chapters, her carefully crafted words, and the mythological context.

3 points so far; GA is a landmark state

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 88 comments I'm now in Tennessee reading They Shoot Horses, Don't They? .

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Hi Connie! Can you do me a favor and also keep tally of your current score? That makes it a little easier for me to keep everything updated. Georgia is a landmark state so you get three points for that.

Thanks so much and congrats on your first book! I'm reading the same states as you so far!

message 5: by Connie (last edited Jul 24, 2017 10:32PM) (new)

Connie D | 88 comments Jen wrote: "Hi Connie! Can you do me a favor and also keep tally of your current score? That makes it a little easier for me to keep everything updated. Georgia is a landmark state so you get three points for ..."

Thanks for the clarification, Jen. I didn't realize I put my own scores in. Do I just put my score on the bottom of my thread or on the first intro thread?

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Where ever is easiest for you. I'll finish it and will help/double check but it's slightly easier to do that if you keep a tally for me. Take a look how others have done it. I think people have done it both ways

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 88 comments Traveled through Tennessee and read They Shoot Horses, Don't They?.

A visit to Graceland bring me up to 3 points for TN.

3 points before
3 points this week

6 points total

I'm in Mississippi reading The Sound and the Fury.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Connie wrote: "Traveled through Tennessee and read They Shoot Horses, Don't They?.

A visit to Graceland bring me up to 3 points for TN.

3 points before
3 points this week

6 points total

I'm in M..."

Thank you! This is great!

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 88 comments Now I've traveled through Mississippi, reading
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
one point

and Louisiana,
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
Since I stopped at the Spotted Cat Jazz Club in New Orleans,
three points

Now I'm traveling to Arkansas to read Chester Himes' Blind Man with a Pistol.

6 points before
4 points this week

10 total

message 10: by Connie (last edited Aug 27, 2017 07:18PM) (new)

Connie D | 88 comments I got stuck in Arkansas reading Chester Himes' Blind Man with a Pistol, but I finished 8/16/17. 3 stars.

1 point this week

11 points total

SOON I'm going to Oklahoma to read The Grapes of Wrath.

P.S. Do I get any extra points for physically driving across the states? I left the coast of Virgina last week and will arrive in Washington State tomorrow.

message 11: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 88 comments P.S. You decide whether we get extra discussion points, right?

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Connie wrote: "P.S. You decide whether we get extra discussion points, right?"

What do you mean extra discussion points? And you don't get any extra for driving across all states. Just the points per state you visit

message 13: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (Tstan) | 552 comments Connie, that's a long trip! Did you travel by car, or RV?

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Tracy wrote: "Connie, that's a long trip! Did you travel by car, or RV?"

ha ha, maybe I misread your post. Do you mean you actually physically drove across the country? That is impressive if so.

message 15: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 88 comments Jen wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Connie, that's a long trip! Did you travel by car, or RV?"

ha ha, maybe I misread your post. Do you mean you actually physically drove across the country? That is impressive if so."

Yes, we physically drove across the country, by van!

message 16: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 88 comments Jen wrote: "Connie wrote: "P.S. You decide whether we get extra discussion points, right?"

What do you mean extra discussion points? And you don't get any extra for driving across all states. Just the points ..."

I was referring to the random discussions, which is completely separate from this across country challenge...never mind.

message 17: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 88 comments Finally leaving Oklahoma!

I've finished The Grapes of Wrath.

It's easy to see why this is a classic and why it was given the Pulitzer when it was written. The horrible situations Oklahoma migrants experienced became real, especially to people who were still living comfortably, didn't know what was happening, or only saw things from the business/big farmer's point of view. It was disturbingly fitting these days concerning issues that still exist for many migrant workers and immigrants.

I had complicated feelings about this book. For some reason, it took me a long time to listen to it, but I was quite involved whenever I was listening. I really cared about the characters, and yet in retrospect, most of them were rather two-dimensional, just playing their roles in the bigger picture. I also didn't prefer the direct preaching about big business and the sentiment against small farms and migrant workers, but Steinbeck probably felt the explanation was necessary.

I'm glad I read it; images and scenarios Steinbeck created in my mind will stick with me.

message 18: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 88 comments 1 point this week

12 points total

Looks like I'm running out of time, but I'm moving on to Texas.

message 19: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 88 comments Jen, I've already read the Colorado books, but it is a good next step for me, from Oklahoma. Since it's a hub, do I have to read a book from Colorado, or can I use it just to jump to the next state? (In other words, can I skip the hub state instead of a state next to it?)

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Connie wrote: "Jen, I've already read the Colorado books, but it is a good next step for me, from Oklahoma. Since it's a hub, do I have to read a book from Colorado, or can I use it just to jump to the next state..."

sorry, I just saw your message. You'd have to read a book to move through it unfortunately. You can't skip states. Maybe try a different way around or hope for a flight hub out next week - though that' relying on a long shot

message 21: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 88 comments Jen wrote: "Connie wrote: "Jen, I've already read the Colorado books, but it is a good next step for me, from Oklahoma. Since it's a hub, do I have to read a book from Colorado, or can I use it just to jump to..."

Okay. I was afraid of that, but thought I'd ask.