Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Current Reads 2017 > July 2017

Comments (showing 1-50 of 289) (289 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4327 comments Starting the month with a nonfiction title: How To Be a Tudor: A Dawn-to-Dusk Guide to Tudor Life.

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (Pjaye) | 862 comments Gah...it's July already?? How did that happen?
June seemed to whiz by so fast.

I just started The Alice Network by Kate Quinn and it seems promising as one that I will really like after a few recent duds.

message 3: by Patricia (last edited Jun 30, 2017 10:43PM) (new)

Patricia (Pjaye) | 862 comments Some replies to last month

MissSusie:
Started Before the Fall by Noah Hawley narrated by, Robert Petkoff I heard this was being made into a movie so added it to my wishlist then saw that Petkoff was the narrator so bumped it up on the TBL list. ..."
I didn't like this much, very androcentric - the men are brilliant & powerful and the women are all either bimbos or good mothers. I'm not a fan of books where all of the women are secondary characters and the men are smart and strong and brave.

Jenifer:
I also recently listened to My Cousin Rachel and enjoyed it but not as much as Rebecca if you haven't read that yet, then I'd highly recommend it.

message 4: by Ameena (new)

Ameena Elahi | 3 comments I'm about 25% into Not A Sound by Heather Gudenkauf. It's a little slow for me so far but I have high expectations, as she is one of my favorite authors.

message 5: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4973 comments I picked up a new offering in the Nocturne Falls Universe stories--Close Encounters of the Alien Kind by Fiona Roarke. While I enjoy any story set in Nocturne Falls with the familiar town and characters, this one was not fully developed and needed either a lot more or a lot less of... something.

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 1772 comments I finished Deadline this afternoon. I enjoyed it, just not as much as the first book. I predicted the cliffhanger, so I'm looking forward to the final installment of the trilogy. I hope to get to it soon.

But first, I have to read A Monster Calls. I'm leading the discussion of it for a themed read in another group.

message 7: by Joy (new)

Joy (AudioAddict1234) | 401 comments The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher was disappointing.

J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ | 1387 comments I'm doing a relisten of a book that I absolutely hated the first time around, The Quantum Thief. I was relistening because I'm extremely into Augmented and Mixed reality and the book has some wild ideas on the subject, but I'm finding myself enjoying it more this time around. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood the first time.

I was in a book rut not long ago and now I feel like I've got a Mt Everest of books I'm eager to listen to. Everything on my tbr list looks great all of a sudden.

And there are so many high potential books coming out this year. The next book in the MHI series is just around the corner. John Dies 3 comes out in October, I got a review copy of YAY! But it's physical book...BOO! :) Peter Clines has a time travel book coming out, I'm very into time travel right now for whatever reason. I recently found out the author of The Martian has a new book coming out in November, so that's something to be hopeful for.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda | 362 comments I just finished The Divine Invasion by Philip K. Dick, which is the second book in the VALIS trilogy. I thought the audio was great, it was narrated by Dick Hill. The story was at turns confusing, though-provoking, entertaining, and laugh-out funny. I gave it 4 stars, although I think I would have appreciated it even more with a stronger religious background.

I'm going to listen to Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders next.

message 10: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4973 comments I finished A Study in Scarlet Women, first in the Lady Sherlock series by Sherry Thomas and narrated by Kate Reading. I got this as a Daily Deal a little while back--might not have taken the chance for a full credit. I have to admit I am very pleasantly surprised by this re-imagining of the Homes legend, even though most such attempts usually strike me as sacrilege. I will be spending a full credit on the next in the series when it comes out in the fall.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1751 comments Faith wrote: "I finished Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood. My review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

I'm listening to the Tempest right now - reading challenge book involving the original and a derivative - debating on wehther to read/listen to the following: Hag-Seed, or Miranda and Caliban

message 14: by Patricia (last edited Jul 03, 2017 08:08AM) (new)

Patricia (Pjaye) | 862 comments Finally a 5 star listen!
The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.
Fictional story but built around a female ring of spies in WW1 & some actual events.
Loved everything about this, excellent narration by Saskia Maarleveld too.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1751 comments Patricia wrote: "Finally a 5 star listen!
The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.
Fictional story but built around a female ring of spies in WW1 woman & some actual events.
Loved everything about this, ex..."

I have this one ot read on the pile - it was also just selected as Reese Witherspoon's July Book Club read

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (Pjaye) | 862 comments No doubt Reece will be trying to get the film right and cast herself in the starring role - although the main character is 19 so she might be pushing it this time...lol

message 17: by Faith (new)

Faith | 780 comments Dee wrote: "Faith wrote: "I finished Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood. My review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

I'm listening to the Tempest right now - reading c..."

Your two options are quite different. Miranda and Caliban wouldn't appeal to me.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1751 comments there is another YA steampunk based on it too that I found - The Dream of Perpetual Motion or Tempestuous

message 19: by ConnieD (new)

ConnieD (Bookwithcat) | 6 comments Recently finished a couple of YA books by Sara Shepherd - The Perfectionists and sequel The Good Girls. Because of the OMG in the second book, this is one case where I need to see the first book in print so I can go back and look at a few passages.

message 20: by ConnieD (new)

ConnieD (Bookwithcat) | 6 comments Also just finished The Castle of Otranto on Librevox.

message 21: by Ameena (new)

Ameena Elahi | 3 comments Finished Not A Sound by Heather Gudenkauf and I could barely get through it... I absolutely loved her previous books such as These things Hidden but this was just way to cliché for me.

message 22: by Ameena (new)

Ameena Elahi | 3 comments Just started :A Gentleman in Moscow|29430012]

message 23: by Fran (new)

Fran Wilkins | 1177 comments I finished The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan. I'm not so sure how I feel about myself since I listened to the end. I guess it's about a 3 star give or take a 1/2. The book had much too much graphic description of what courtesans do with their customers.

So I'm going puritanical and listening to Dr. Thorne the third in the Barchester Chronicles by Anthony Trollope.

message 24: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2741 comments I got about 2 1/2 hours into Before the Fall by Noah Hawley and decided I wasn't enjoying it at all so have set it aside.

Now starting Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann, narrated by, Will Patton , Ann Marie Lee & Danny Campbell

message 25: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 1772 comments I finished A Monster Calls yesterday and gave it 5 stars. It's a gem of a book with a powerful message.

Today, I'll start In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber.

message 26: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 812 comments I finished my re-listen of The Waste Lands yesterday and started Glass Sword for a book club. It's not terribly original. I'm sure I'll be able to get through it though.

message 27: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 812 comments J. wrote: "I'm doing a relisten of a book that I absolutely hated the first time around, The Quantum Thief. I was relistening because I'm extremely into Augmented and Mixed reality and the book..."

I wonder who is doing the John Dies 3 audio. I liked both. I'm jealous that you got an ARC!

message 28: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 03, 2017 09:46PM) (new)

Chrissie | 3350 comments I have taken a long car tip, then my computer went on the blink. all of this has made writing reviews quite a challenge while at the same time giving me more time to read/listen to books!

For those who are interested, I have completed these three books and reviews:

Essays of E.B. White
My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Washington Square

Quiet Until the Thaw

White is a joy to read. James' is great for those who want in-depth character portrayal.

Alexandra Fuller's latest (Quiet Until the Thaw) was a huge disappointment to me. I have absolutely adored her books about her family, all the many ones set in Africa, but not the latest novel! So now as a follow up to Fuller's I am reading a book that is NOT fictional and is also about Native Americans: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me: A Memoir by Sherman Alexie, which I am sure many of you know of. Immediately you recognize this is the one to read, not Fuller's. Captivating, albeit heart-wrenching - difficult family relationships honesty told.

I still have two more reviews to write but will do them as soon as I can. My computer has to be replaced, so cross your fingers for me.

message 29: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4327 comments Great that you could check in and update us, Chrissie.

message 30: by Donna (new)

Donna | 205 comments Chrissie wrote: "I have taken a long car tip, then my computer went on the blink. all of this has made writing reviews quite a challenge while at the same time giving me more time to read/listen to books!

For thos..."

I just got You Don't Have to Say You Love Me: A Memoir today. I hope to get to it on Wednesday. I look forward to hearing what you think.

I finished Fiona Barton's new book, The Child. It was just so-so as far as the story was concerned.

message 31: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (SpecsBunny) | 1119 comments Chrissie wrote: "I still have two more reviews to write but will do them as soon as I can. My computer has to be replaced, so cross your fingers for me.."

Will do, hope it goes well - always a bit stressful these things.

message 32: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3350 comments Specs, you're not kidding. We need one with a French keyboard and in Sweden that seems very difficult to obtain.

Donna, it is an emotional ride.

message 33: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4327 comments I'm no techie, but thought it is possible to switch to other (virtual) keyboards as needed?

message 34: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3350 comments John, well we continue to look.

message 35: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4973 comments I finished Lions and Tigers and Murder, Oh My by Denise Swanson. This is the latest in the Devereau's Dime Store Mystery series. It was a decent story and, thank heavens, the pesky love triangle was finally resolved. I had already determined that if it went on for one more book I'd drop the series. I wish authors would stop using that stupid trick!

message 36: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer | 128 comments MissSusie wrote: "I got about 2 1/2 hours into Before the Fall by Noah Hawley and decided I wasn't enjoying it ..."
Now...I liked that one....

I wanted to tell you though that you were absolutely spot on right about The Book of Polly - wonderful in every way.

Throughout I kept thinking to myself how much it reminded me of The Help - realized much later that it was because they were both expertly narrated by the same person,

message 37: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3350 comments Finally I have written reviews explaining how how I felt about Jessica Mitford's memoir (Hons and Rebels) and Nancy Mitford's novel (The Pursuit of Love.

One I liked a lot. Tthe other I detested.

My review of Jessica's book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

My review of Nancy's book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 38: by Bill (Just a) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 1038 comments J. wrote: "Peter Clines has a time travel book coming out, I'm very into time travel right now for whatever reason. k..."

I like time travel as well. Have you listened to:

1. 11-22-63 - Stephen King
2. Lightening - Dean Koontz
3. Time and Again - Jack Finney
4. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

I liked all of those with "Time and Again" being my favorite.

message 39: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4327 comments Time and Again, and it's sequel, were brilliant!

I wasn't as fond of Connie Willis' Doomsday Book as much as I was of its spin-off To Say Nothing of the Dog.

message 40: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 812 comments I finished Glass Sword and was completely underwhelmed.

My review here

message 41: by Aurelia (new)

Aurelia Scott | 77 comments John wrote: "Starting the month with a nonfiction title: How To Be a Tudor: A Dawn-to-Dusk Guide to Tudor Life."

I'd be interested in your reaction, John. I loved the hard-copy book and then listened to the audiobook with my AudioFile reviewer hat on. Enjoyed it again, but differently. Have you heard The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century? I loved listening to it.

message 42: by Aurelia (new)

Aurelia Scott | 77 comments John wrote: "Time and Again, and it's sequel, were brilliant!

I wasn't as fond of Connie Willis' Doomsday Book as much as I was of its spin-off To Say Nothing of the Dog."

Agree. I love Connie Willis in general and I so loved the audio of To Say Nothing of the Dog, which I thought Steven Crossley aced.

message 43: by Aurelia (new)

Aurelia Scott | 77 comments I listened to How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff a few years ago for AudioFile and loved it. It's officially classified as a YA title, although it seems completely cross-over to me. (Here's my review: http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/revi...). Well, given everything happening in the world today, I've picked it up again. Some of the darkness of the protagonist's situation is actually comforting. Still love the book, read by Kim Man Guest.

message 44: by Manda (new)

Manda (Manda-Jane) | 794 comments I'm enjoying Fight Club.

The first rule of fight club is that you don't talk about fight club. The second rule of fight club is that you don't talk about fight club.

It's funny, insane, dysfunctional and a great listen. Not as shocking as I thought it might be. Much tamer (so far!) than American Psycho

message 45: by J. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (new)

J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ | 1387 comments Bill (Just a) wrote: "J. wrote: "Peter Clines has a time travel book coming out, I'm very into time travel right now for whatever reason. k..."

I like time travel as well. Have you listened to:

1. 11-22-63 - Stephen K..."

Thanks, Bill. The only one of those that really stood out to me was Lightning. I've added it to my to-read list.

I just started The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. and it sounds like it's going to have something of a time-travel element.

I liked Timeline and In Times Like These a lot. It gets good ratings, but I absolutely hated All Our Wrong Todays.

message 46: by Robin (new)

Robin | 1557 comments I was also disappointed in All Our Wrong Todays and I liked In Times Like These. I didn't like the sequel, The Chronothon, quite as much but it was also good.

A time travel book I liked a lot is Replay. There's no technology to it, rather, It's about the choices we make.

I also liked Rewinder but on that one the sequel was definitely inferior.

message 47: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4973 comments I finished the latest in the Psychic Eye mystery series by Victoria Laurie, A Panicked Premonition. This was a good one and I enjoyed it. Most of the books in this series are stand-alone and can be understood by anyone at pretty much any point in the series.

message 48: by Linda (new)

Linda | 362 comments J. wrote: "I just started The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. and it sounds like it's going to have something of a time-travel element."

I'm excited to read this one, I've got it on my list for September so I'll be curious how you like it. I've so far read Stephenson only in print, no audio.

Per your and Bill (Just a)'s above convo, might I suggest checking out The Man from Primrose Lane, although it's best not knowing anything about the book beforehand. It's a mystery/thriller. Several of my friends and I in another group all loved it and gave it 4 stars. We had a great discussion throughout the book. I read the print version, but one of my friends listened to the audio and said it was good.

message 49: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3350 comments I highly recommend You Don't Have to Say You Love Me: A Memoir written by Sherman Alexie and read by him too. I feel strongly that it should be listened to, not read!

It is a difficult read, so now I need something with humor. I am returning to Muriel Spark, having loved the humor in A Far Cry from Kensington. Now I am going to read Memento Mori. I have started and I am already laughing. Spark and I seem to share the same humor.

message 50: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1401 comments Vita Brevis A Crime Novel of the Roman Empire by Ruth Downie This is Aurelia. I had been going to mention that I really enjoyed my just-finished listen to Vita Brevis, Ruth Downie's most recent mystery set in the era of ancient Rome. Others have also enjoyed Downie - all read by Simon Vance. My review actually appeared today in the most recent AudioFile e-newsletter, so I'm sharing it: http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/revi....

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.