Free Birds Read Along discussion

Jane Eyre
This topic is about Jane Eyre
JE Chapter Discussion > Favorite Quotes and Excerpts

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cody (new) - added it

Cody (Mybibliophiliclife) | 65 comments Mod
You may leave some of your favorite quotes from the books here.

Noemi (booknerdwithlipstick) | 18 comments Page 92 : " If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends."

message 3: by Cody (new) - added it

"I am not deceitful: if I were, I should say I loved you; but I declare I do not love you: I dislike you the worst of anybody in the world except John Reed; and this book about the liar, you may give to your girl, Georgiana, for it is she who tells lies, and not I."

message 4: by Cody (new) - added it

"Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex." (Pg 161)

message 5: by Cody (new) - added it

"I see at intervals the glance of a curious sort of bird through the close set bars of a cage: a vivid, restless, resolute captive is there; were it but free, it would soar cloud-high." (p. 206)

message 6: by Cody (new) - added it

"You never felt jealousy, did you, Miss Eyre? Of course not: I need not ask you; because you never felt love. You have both sentiments yet to experience: your soul sleeps; the shock is yet to be given which shall waken it. You think all existence lapses in as quiet a flow as that in which your youth has hitherto slid away. Floating on with closed eyes and muffled ears, you neither see the rocks bristling not far off in the bed of the flood, nor hear the breakers boil at their base. But I tell you — and you may mark my words — you will come some day to a craggy pass in the channel, where the whole of life's stream will be broken up into whirl and tumult, foam and noise: either you will be dashed to atoms on crag points, or lifted up and borne on by some master-wave into a calmer current..." ( p. 210)

message 7: by Cody (new) - added it

"Blasphemy against nature! Every good, true, vigorous feeling I have gathers impulsively around him" (p. 260)

message 8: by Cody (new) - added it

"...there was ever in Mr. Rochester such[...] a wealth of the power of communicating happiness,that to taste but of the crumbs he scattered to stray and stranger birds like me, was to feast genially." (p. 365)

message 9: by Cody (new) - added it

"Because, he said, "I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you - especially when you are near me, as now: it is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame. And if that boisterous channel, and two hundred miles or so of land some broad between us, I am afraid that cord of communion will be snapt; and then I've a nervous notion I should take to bleeding inwardly. As for you, - you'd forget me." (p. 376)

message 10: by Cody (new) - added it

"I tell you I must go!" I retorted, roused to something like passion. "Do you think I can stay to become nothing to you? Do you think I am an automaton? — a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! — I have as much soul as you, — and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh; — it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal, — as we are!" (p.378)

Mariah (austenandarthur) | 10 comments Cody wrote: ""I tell you I must go!" I retorted, roused to something like passion. "Do you think I can stay to become nothing to you? Do you think I am an automaton? — a machine without feelings? and can bear t..." THIS... This is my favorite and it gets me right in the heart every time.

message 12: by Cody (last edited Jul 04, 2017 08:16PM) (new) - added it

"You have neither relatives nor acquaintances whom you need fear to offend by living with me?"... "I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself."( Pg. 475)

message 13: by Cody (last edited Jul 04, 2017 08:16PM) (new) - added it

"Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour; stringent are they; inviolate they shall be. If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth? " (P.475)

message 14: by Zara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zara Horn | 23 comments "It was if a band of Italian days had come from the South, like a flock of glorious passenger birds, and lighted to rest on the cliffs of Albion." Pg 286 ch 23

Noemi (booknerdwithlipstick) | 18 comments Page 243 : "He is not to them what he is to me." I thought. "He is not of their kind. I believe he is of mine - I am sure he is - I feel akin to him - I understand the language of his countenance and movements : thought rank and wealth server us widely, I have something in my brain and heart, in my blood and nerves, that assimilates me mentally to him.

message 16: by Valérie (new)

Valérie (OliviaPlotwist) | 4 comments Cody wrote: ""I tell you I must go!" I retorted, roused to something like passion. "Do you think I can stay to become nothing to you? Do you think I am an automaton? — a machine without feelings? and can bear t..." Yes, this made my eyes water. Epic!