Chick Lit Book Club discussion

The Bookshop on the Corner
This topic is about The Bookshop on the Corner
2017 Book Archive > The Bookshop on the Corner - SPOILERS

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Myrna (myrnamyrna) | 1084 comments Mod
Our July BOTM is The Little Shop of Happy Ever After aka The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan. Please post your questions/comments with spoilers below.

message 2: by Myrna (last edited Jul 07, 2017 10:24AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I liked that Nina followed her dream. Many people wish they could do just that. I didn't like the two love interests very much. They were a mess but glad the way it all turned out. I liked the adventure, townspeople part more. Which leads me to .....

Several reviewers mentioned they wanted more about the bookshop and the small town characters/friends than the romance angle. Agree or disagree?

Kate Hales | 13 comments I loved the romance but I would also have liked to see more about the characters and the town, it would make a great tv series.

Kate wrote: "I loved the romance but I would also have liked to see more about the characters and the town, it would make a great tv series."

Yes it would make a great tv series!

Dutchy | 52 comments I would have preferred more about the book mobile and the people she meets in there. The love interest was like Myrna said messy, maybe she should have left out the romance bit with the foreign guy, sorry forgot his name!

Ursula (Bronx) | 16 comments I agree that the 2 romances were too much. I think the storyline could have benefited from allowing the reader to understand how the farmer felt about Nina. Highlighting his generosity and connecting it to the building of their relationship would have been nice.

I did enjoy the book and loved how Nina took a risk and grew from the experience. I will read more by this author.

message 7: by Leona (last edited Jul 18, 2017 07:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leona (WDWCBM) | 17 comments Agreed. 2 romances made this somewhat clunky. I would have liked more time with Nina and the sheep farmer instead of the foreign guy (I forgot his name too!). I liked the ex-wife angle. I'm always a sucker for a good OW angle.

I felt this was more chick lit that took a slight diversion into romance.

Irèna | 25 comments I have more or less the same opinion. Too much time spent reading about a "love story" that went nowhere (and it was not that deep, so...) and really few info about the farmer and his feelings. A little bit more development about oter stories in the village would have been nice as well.

I did not enjoy the book much. Even though i do not think it is really bad, i would not recommend it to another person.

Lisa Slabach | 13 comments I actually enjoyed the book. I understand why some readers might think the two romances were clunky, but I thought the the romances worked. Marek was in many, many ways an unrealistic fantasy romance, whereas Lennox was grounded and real. I thought it showed Nina transitioning away from living through books and actually engaging in life. I would have liked to have seen more of the struggles with launching the bookshop--how do the books stay in place while she rumbles and bounces along the countryside? And some of the problems were resolved a little too neatly and quickly, but overall, it was an enjoyable, cozy read. Maybe more suited for the winter by a crackling fire than during a hot summer?

AmersBoBamers | 6 comments Overall I thought this was a cute story, however I feel like the focus was more on unimportant characters (I.e. Griffith -or- Griffin [I forgot, haha] and how he was hooking up or getting drunk all the time, and how his new job was so horrible] and tended to focus more on their lives than it did on important/main characters like Lennox. I understand the purpose of the two love interests, as one was unrealistic and was meant to demonstrate how sometimes our dream men aren't always the kind we read about in books, and understanding the separation from dreams and reality. I would have liked more of a love development between Lennox and Nina... my one real upset with this story is how abruptly it ended, and I thought it was really odd (I listened to the audible version) that the very last part of the story was them randomly reading off the young girls exam scores, it was fast and weird how they ended it.

Jennifer (featherlashes) | 894 comments Agreed! I had plenty of initial interest but the storyline seemed to detour into other characters/subplots and I quickly lost interest. Overall a fair read in my opinion but not one I would strongly recommend or want to re-read. However, I did genuinely love the introductory note to readers though. All those who love to read sigh in relief that Ms. Colgan understands <3

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Slabach | 13 comments Jennifer wrote: "Agreed! I had plenty of initial interest but the storyline seemed to detour into other characters/subplots and I quickly lost interest. Overall a fair read in my opinion but not one I would strongl..."

Yes, I agree--loved the Introduction!