Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > The Other Diane's Summer Road Trip

Comments (showing 1-47 of 47) (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (last edited Sep 30, 2017 07:52AM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Starting in my current home state of Georgia.

Create Your Own Visited States Map

States visited: 22
Landmarks visited: 10
Points: 47 (including 5 points for reaching the West coast)

States
1. Georgia: Possessing the Secret of Joy by Alice Walker
2. Florida: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
3, Alabama: Nada by Carmen Laforet (from Wish List)
4. Tennessee: They Shoot Horses, Don't They? by Horace McCoy
5. Mississippi: Go Down, Moses by William Faulkner
6. Louisiana: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
7. Arkansas: Blind Man with a Pistol by Chester Himes
8. Texas: Come Back, Dr. Caligari by Donald Barthelme
9. Oklahoma: The Golden Bowl by Henry James
10. Kansas: Bosnian Chronicle by Ivo Andrić
11. Nebraska: The Third Wedding by Costas Taktsis
12. Wyoming: Hallucinating Foucault by Patricia Duncker
13. Montana: Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
14. Idaho: Inside Mister Enderby by Anthony Burgess
15. Utah: Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
16. New Mexico: Against Nature by Joris-Karl Huysmans
17. Colorado: Henry Von Ofterdingen: A Romance by Novalis
18. Arizona: Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy
19. Nevada: W, or the Memory of Childhood by Georges Perec
20. California: Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
21. Oregon: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
22. Washington: Willard and His Bowling Trophies

Landmarks
1. Savannah, GA
2. Dreamland BBQ, AL
3. Graceland, in Memphis, TN
4. Spotted Cat Jazz Club, LA
5. Largest ball of twine, KS
6. Yellowstone National Park, WY
7. Zion National Park, UT
8. Carlsbad Caverns, NM
9. Antelope Canyon, AZ
10. Las Vegas, NV

message 2: by Diane (last edited Jul 04, 2017 11:19AM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments And I'm off....

1. Georgia: Possessing the Secret of Joy by Alice Walker Possessing the Secret of Joy by Alice Walker.

Rating: 4 Stars
Read: July 2017

Despite the subject matter, I really enjoyed it and read it in one sitting. I didn't realize until I was part way through that it was actually the 3rd book in The Color Purple Collection/Trilogy. Initially I was concerned since I skipped the second book. However, it was apparently not a continuation of either of the first two books and did well as a stand alone. The only link is that it used a couple of the characters found in the previous books.

The book is essentially about the practice of female genital mutilation in some parts of Africa. The main character, Tashi, is an African immigrant who feels the pressure to become Westernized, yet wants to identify with her traditional culture. She lost a sister to a botched circumcision, yet still feels compelled to follow tradition to have it done. Alice Walker learned about the practice while doing volunteer work in Kenya as a young woman, prior to becoming an author. The subject haunted her and she felt the need to write a book to raise awareness of the dangers of this practice. She researched the subject well and received a lot of flack from proponents of the practice.

Overall an excellent book, but with a lot of parts that will make you squeamish. I look forward to reading the remaining book in the trilogy.

home in savannah historic distric photo homeinsavannahhistoricdistric.jpg

Wormsloe in Savannah, Georgia photo DSCN00630012.jpg
Wormsloe Plantation. My favorite place in Savannah.

Now off to the beaches of the Florida panhandle...

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1897 comments Mod
I love the map photo.

message 4: by Diane (last edited Jul 03, 2017 04:21PM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments 2. Florida: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.

Rating: 4 stars
Re-read: July 2017

I couldn't resist visiting Florida when I saw this book on the list. This is the third time I have read this book. Hopefully, it will be my only re-read on this journey.

This is the story of Janie, an African-American woman, in her quest for true love. She didn't receive the love she needed from her mother (view spoiler) and she didn't feel loved by her grandmother (view spoiler). During her adulthood, we follow Janie through three relationships with the men in her life on her quest for unconditional love.

Overall, a wonderfully written book. The book is set in various parts of Florida. It is definitely representative of a Florida of years gone by, when it was more of a Southern state instead of a tourist mecca.

Florida Everglades, Everglade City, Florida photo Airboat03-19-2005MangroveForest.jpg
The Everglades. One of the settings in the book. I visited here recently in real life.

Now off to the more secluded beaches of Gulf Shores, Alabama...

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1897 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "And I'm off....

1. Georgia: Possessing the Secret of Joy by Alice Walker Possessing the Secret of Joy by Alice Walker.

I'm reading the Color Purple now. Tashi is mentioned in the letters and I wondered about her fate. I didn't know it was a trilogy.

message 6: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 91 comments Jen wrote: "I love the map photo."

Me too. I'm going to use it in my topic. Thank you Diane! Hope you don't mind it.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Charisma wrote: "Jen wrote: "I love the map photo."

Me too. I'm going to use it in my topic. Thank you Diane! Hope you don't mind it."

I don't mind at all.

message 8: by Diane (last edited Jul 04, 2017 11:31AM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments 3. Alabama: Nada by Carmen Laforet Nada by Carmen Laforet. from Wish List

Read: July 2017

I have already read the listed books for Alabama, so I chose a book from the Wish List. A couple of my Goodreads friends had given this mediocre ratings, so I didn't expect much. I was, however, pleasantly surprised.

This is the semi-autobiographical coming of age story of Andrea, an orphaned young woman (probably late teens) living in poverty shortly after the Spanish Civil War. The book is set in Barcelona. The author's the prose is beautiful. Her descriptions of Barcelona made me long to go back to Spain. Her descriptions of the squalid conditions of how she had to live painted a vivid picture of the type of conditions many had to endure after the war.

This book is considered to be the Spanish equivalent to The Catch in the Rye. The really amazing thing about the book is that it is the author's debut novel, written when she was only 23 years old. So, what is my link to Alabama? This young woman, born in the 1920's, wrote one of the most important novels of Spain. It calls to mind another young woman, also born in the 1920's, who wrote one of the most important books of the United States. She was from Alabama. Her name is Harper Lee, the author of To Kill a Mockingbird.

dreamland bbq photo Dreamland-BBQ.jpg
The featured landmark. There is apparently one of these in the ATL. I will have to check it out.

Cherokee Rock Village photo cheorkeevillage.jpg
Lookout Mountain, one of my favorite places to visit in Alabama.

Now off to Memphis, TN...

message 9: by Diane (last edited Jul 03, 2017 04:23PM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments 4. Tennessee: They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? by Horace McCoy They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? by Horace McCoy.

Read; July 3, 2017

This was a very good book. I'm surprised that this author isn't better known than he is. I definitely want to read more by him.

The book starts out with a murder. We know who the killer is, but we really don't understand why the killing took place. The majority of the book takes place during a dance marathon, a popular activity during the Great Depression, which is when the story takes place. The main characters participate in this dance marathon in an effort to further their careers in the film industry. I thought the title of the book was odd initially, but it makes perfect sense once you get to the end of the book.

Overall, a fantastic little book. I am sure I will re-read it again someday. What does it have to do with Tennessee? McCoy was born in Tennessee, even though the book takes place in California.

GRACELAND-GATES photo frontgraceland.jpg
Graceland, the home of the King. I had my picture taken in front of these gates as a child.

Now off to Tupelo, Mississippi to see where Elvis was born...

message 10: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 191 comments Wow you are moving fast!!

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Dianne wrote: "Wow you are moving fast!!"

I am stuck on the couch with a badly broken leg, so I have a lot of time on my hands to read.

message 12: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 191 comments Oh no! At least you found an upside! Hope your healing goes well and quickly :)

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Dianne wrote: "Oh no! At least you found an upside! Hope your healing goes well and quickly :)"

Thank you!

message 14: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 91 comments Diane wrote: "Dianne wrote: "Wow you are moving fast!!"

I am stuck on the couch with a badly broken leg, so I have a lot of time on my hands to read."

OMG! I hope it heals fast and doesn't bother you too much.

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Charisma wrote: "Diane wrote: "Dianne wrote: "Wow you are moving fast!!"

I am stuck on the couch with a badly broken leg, so I have a lot of time on my hands to read."

OMG! I hope it heals fast and doesn't bother..."

Thank you.

message 16: by Diane (last edited Jul 04, 2017 11:12AM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments 5. Mississippi: Go Down, Moses by William Faulkner Go Down, Moses by William Faulkner.

Read: July 3-4, 2017

This is my 4th and final Faulkner list book. It consists of interconnected tales of a Mississippi plantation family's life over several decades, from the mid-1800's through to the Depression Era. The characters are of different races (black, white, and Native American) but can all share common lineage somewhere along the line. Many themes are explored here, such as race relations, slavery, coming of age, nature, and the changes seen in the South over the years.

This is not Faulkner's most difficult book, but it isn't his most accessible either. He is not an easy read. Overall, a very solid and worthwhile read that merits it's place on the list.

Oak Alley Plantation photo IMG_0001-1.jpg
A Faulkner-esque plantation in Mississippi.

Off to the Big Easy...

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments 6. Louisiana: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

This has been on my TBR pile for years. I am glad to have finally read it. It seems like most people either love or hate it, I was interested to see where I fell on that continuum.

The book centers on an obnoxious, overweight, and over-educated 30 year old man who lives with his mom, who is now forced to get a job. He is socially awkward past the point of ridiculousness. He and the rest of the characters are completely unlikable, the events are frustrating and cringe-worthy, but the book is so funny (if you like slapstick-type of humor).

Overall, I enjoyed this but I can see why a lot of people don't, especially with such hard to love characters and over-the-top antics. I do think the book does a great job of depicting some of the types of eccentric characters you might find in New Orleans.

New Orleans photo DSC05044.jpg
New Orleans French Quarter

Off to Arkansas...

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments 7. Arkansas: Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8) by Chester Himes Blind Man with a Pistol by Chester Himes

Rating: 3.5 Stars

Blind Man with a Pistol is a detective mystery set in Harlem, NY. It is the 8th book in the Harlem Cycle series. We follow African-American detectives Grave Digger and Coffin Ed as they investigate various cases around 1960's Harlem.

Based upon the description, I honestly did not think I would enjoy this book. I was, however, pleasantly surprised. Even though the genre really isn't my thing, it is a well-written and entertaining novel. Himes did a great job portraying the racial tensions of the 60s. My biggest complaint is that the crimes investigated weren't really solved.

The connection to Arkansas is that Himes lived there briefly as an adolescent.

Arkansas Ozarks photo ArkansasOzarks.jpg
The Ozark Mountains in autumn.

Next stop: Texas

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments 8. Texas: Come Back, Dr. Caligari by Donald Barthelme Come Back, Dr. Caligari by Donald Barthelme.

Rating: 3 Stars

This is a collection of odd stories. Some are very good and some are just okay. People that love absurdism and quirky stories that often don't make a lot of sense would love this collection. I appreciate that to a point, but some of the stories were lost on me.

Barthelme grew up in Texas. Texas was mentioned in passing a couple of times in the book, but other locations were mentioned as well. Most stories did not have a specified setting. For the most part, one did not feel a sense of place in his stories.

Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo Texas photo vac09A023.jpg
Cadillac Ranch

Next, northward to Oklahoma...

message 20: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 191 comments Diane you are faster than an actual car, awesome!

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Oklahoma: The Golden Bowl  by Henry James The Golden Bowl by Henry James (Wishlist book).

This book was a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed it much more than I anticipated. It is the story of a widowed father, his daughter, and the two people they fall in love with and marry. We learn that there are secrets shared between the four people that place their relationships in jeopardy. These secrets are brought to light as the result of a cracked antique bowl.

Very Victorian and very long, but overall a cleverly executed novel with multiple layers and points of view, and a nice resolution.

I chose this book because it contains the word "bowl". Oklahoma is part of the "dust bowl".

tornado near Bison Oklahoma photo may24storms001.jpg
Tornado in Oklahoma.

I am now traveling to Kansas for my next book...

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1897 comments Mod
Diane, unfortunately, the randomizer has conspired against you this week. You were one of the players selected for a travel delay. Since you declared your next state (Kansas) you may complete this book but then must wait until Monday July 17 to start your next state.

Since you were selected this week, you will be exempt from receiving a delay next week.

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Kansas: Bosnian Chronicle by Ivo Andrić Bosnian Chronicle by Ivo Andrić (wishlist book).

This book told about a period in time (about 4 or so years) in a town in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The action took place during the the Napoleonic era and the tail end of Ottoman rule for that country. Oddly enough, the main characters were not Bosnians but people who were there as part of its occupation, and were from France, Austria, and Turkey. The book shed a lot of light on the diverse blend of people in this country and their interactions.

If you like storytelling, this is an awesome book. It is extremely well-written and shows multiple points of view as told by the narrator. If you like dialogue between characters, however, you may not enjoy it. There is virtually no dialogue here in a book of close to 500 pages.

The book has absolutely nothing to do with Kansas. The main reason for my selection was that I needed it for a couple of other challenges I am participating in.

Largest Ball of Twine, Cawker, Kansas photo _MG_7297.jpg
World's Largest Ball of Twine.

I like it so much here in Kansas, I think I will stay here a while ;)

message 24: by Diane (last edited Jul 27, 2017 12:58PM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Nebraska: The Third Wedding by Costas Taktsis The Third Wedding by Costas Taktsis (Wishlist book)

This was very good and I'll bet it is even better when read in its original language (I noticed the ratings from English speakers tended to be quite a bit lower than from native speakers). It is the story of two women living in Greece during years of war and political unrest (1920's-1950's). Through their narratives, we follow their lives over the years. The book is written in an entertaining and conversational tone. The narrators were often a bit catty, especially when talking about their daughters, but I found this rather amusing. The book painted a believable picture of daily life in Greece amidst civil war and German occupation during WWII.

Nebraska photo LJWest10012.jpg

Next stop: Wyoming, reading Hallucinating Foucault.

message 25: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 191 comments Diane just a note that I love your posts and the pictures you added, thank you for sharing!

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Dianne wrote: "Diane just a note that I love your posts and the pictures you added, thank you for sharing!"

Thanks! Unfortunately, my map and the last picture i tried to post will not post right and say "image error". I have no idea how to fix the problem, either.

message 27: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 191 comments Diane wrote: "Dianne wrote: "Diane just a note that I love your posts and the pictures you added, thank you for sharing!"

Thanks! Unfortunately, my map and the last picture i tried to post will not post right a..."

Well I don't even know how to post a photo
So you are way ahead of me!

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1897 comments Mod
I love your photos too. It's fun to follow along with your travels.

This issue happened to me with my map when I first posted it. I just deleted and reposted the link and it eventually worked but took a few tries. Weird that those would stop working but the others seem fine

message 29: by Diane (last edited Jul 27, 2017 06:05PM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Wyoming: Hallucinating Foucault by Patricia Duncker Hallucinating Foucault by Patricia Duncker. (2017 BOTM book)

I really enjoyed this story of love between a reader and his favorite author. It is hard to discuss much about this book without giving important details away, so I will refrain from doing so. I also wrote comments in the BOTM thread for this book.

Yellowstone photo 15092011Yellowstone102.jpg
Yellowstone National Park

Next stop: Either Colorado or Montana

message 30: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Montana: Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. (any 1001 book).

Rating: 3 stars

My rating doesn't fit with the masses, since this book has an average rating of 4.18. I really enjoyed Slaughterhouse-Five, but this one failed to consistently hold my interest. I usually love satire, too. Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike it - I just didn't love it like most people do. I think the book raises some very good points, however, about how our careless use of science may bring about the destruction of the world. Maybe I will attempt to re-read it one day.

Montana photo 7074.jpg

Next stop: Idaho.

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Idaho: Inside Mister Enderby by Anthony Burgess Inside Mister Enderby by Anthony Burgess (Wish list book)

Rating: 2.5 stars

Sometimes I get British humor, sometimes I just don't. This was a case of the latter. So, overall, it was just an okay read for me. The book centers around a very flatulent, middle-aged poet. The inspiration for his poetry comes to him best when sitting on the pot. Not really my thing. Also, I didn't think the ending fit the overall tone the book.

Boise Idaho Skyline photo boise_skyline.jpg
Boise skyline

Next stop: Utah (You didn't honestly think I would take the easy way out and go to Washington, did you?) ;)

message 32: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 88 comments Beautifully done, Diane! I love your travelogue!

message 33: by Diane (last edited Aug 06, 2017 07:17PM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Utah: Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (2017 BOTM).

I love Dostoevsky. This is my least favorite from him, and it still rates 4 stars. The first half contains rantings, ravings, and ramblings by an "old man" of 40 (he said this, not me). During the second half, he reminisces about key events that happened when he was 24. These events shed light on his ramblings in the first half.

When I embarked on re-reading this, I forgot what a dense book it is. Don't let the low page count fool you. I am still glad I re-read it, though, since I do love Dostoevsky.

Zion National Park, Utah photo _DSC0034_aa-1.jpg
Zion National Park, Utah

Next stop: New Mexico

message 34: by Diane (last edited Aug 07, 2017 05:28AM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments New Mexico: Against Nature by Joris-Karl Huysmans Against Nature by Joris-Karl Huysmans (wishlist book).

This book wasn't at all what I expected. Based upon the description, I was anticipating something more plot-driven. Generally, the lack of plot would disappoint me, but not in this case.

The underlying story is about an eccentric rich guy in failing health who basically becomes fed-up with all the ridiculous rules of society. The book takes place in the late 1800's when all of the rules for what is proper are at their peak. He retreats from society and decides that he is going to do what he wants in the way that he wants, no holds barred. This is where the plot stops - nothing else really happens. Most of the book contains a lot of rantings and tangents about what the protagonist likes and doesn't like, which are actually quite entertaining, especially those about art, music, and literature. Overall, and intelligent and well-written novel.

Carlsbad Caverns New Mexico photo Picture190.jpg
Carlsbad Caverns

Next stop: Colorado

message 35: by Diane (last edited Aug 13, 2017 03:44PM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Colorado: Henry Von Ofterdingen A Romance by Novalis Henry Von Ofterdingen: A Romance by Novalis (Wishlist Book).

Rating: 3 Stars

This is a sweet and allegorical story of love and self-discovery interspersed with poetry. The combination of such was something new back in its day (late 1700's-early 1800's). It is considered to be the first representation of German romanticism and also what started the blue flower symbolism of German romanticism. The language is quite beautiful and flowery, no pun intended. The story is a semi-autobiographical account of a poet who falls in love with a young girl while traveling. I have since learned that Penelope Fitzgerald's book, The Blue Flower is based upon this author and his true and tragic love story that was the inspiration for this book.

I only gave it 3 stars since I often had to fight to stay engaged with the story, despite the lovely language and symbolism. Nevertheless, I think it does deserve to be on the list due to its important literary contribution and being groundbreaking for its time.

Colorado photo 249497_2131408483899_1206600620_2650131_8096258_n.jpg

Next stop: Arizona with Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

message 36: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Arizona: Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy.

Westerns aren't really my thing, especially those that contain a lot of gratuitous violence. McCarthy is such a good storyteller, however, making it not only bearable, but interesting. This is the story of a teenage boy who becomes involved with a notorious gang of mercenaries who were terrorizing the Mexican border and scalping Apaches during the Westward expansion of the mid-1800s. Apparently this lawless group really existed in real life.

So, not the type of book I would want to read on a regular basis, and definitely not an easy read, but a good book nevertheless.

Part of the book takes place in Yuma, Arizona, on the border to Mexico (I used to live there long ago!). The book also takes place in Texas, California, and Mexico.

Antelope Canyon photo Antelope-Canyon.jpg
Antelope Canyon, AZ

Next stop: Nevada

message 37: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Darn. I have been delayed in Vegas. I guess I'll have to hit the slot machines and catch a few shows...

message 38: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Nevada: W, or the Memory of Childhood by Georges Perec W, or the Memory of Childhood by Georges Perec (Wishlist book).

This was an interesting and different book in that it combined a memoir and fiction in two separate sections and integrated them in the end. The first part was a memoir (which I think is somewhat fictionalized) of the author. He seems a bit of an unreliable narrator of his own memoir since he can't remember many things of his childhood and some of the things he remembers aren't remembered by others. Given what he went through during his childhood this is understandable. Perec lost both of his parents during WWII while he was a young child. His father died during battle and his mother died in a concentration camp. His parents were both Jewish natives of Poland who had relocated to France and changed their names. They gave the author a French name and put him in a Catholic boarding school to protect him. He was adopted by his aunt when he was about 6.

The second part of the story deals with a fictionalized island called "W" off the coast of Chile that initially appears to be a utopian society devoted to creating Olympic athletes. Things, however, are not what they first seemed and the island appears to be more dystopian than utopian. As the story goes on, you realize it is actually an allegory of the Holocaust and Nazi ideology.

Overall, a very well-written and powerful book.

Las Vegas !!! photo LasVegasSign-1.jpg

Next stop: Sunny California

message 39: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments California: Cannery Row by John Steinbeck Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

Rating: 4.5 stars

Steinbeck is such a wonderful writer. I can't believe I finally got around to reading this one. I think I was 12 when I read my first Steinbeck - East of Eden.

This book is a slice of everyday life of the inhabitants of the former cannery district of Monterey, California. It is set around the time of the Great Depression. You get a great sense of the place and time and the hardships experienced by the different characters. I love how Steinbeck finds such beauty in the ordinary and hope amidst the poverty and less-than-desirable living conditions. This is a very different place from the Monterey of today.

Saving Monterey photo DSC_0347.jpg
Monterey, California

message 40: by Diane (last edited Sep 06, 2017 09:42PM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments I was going to head up the Pacific coast, but I doubt I will able to squeeze in any more books before the deadline. So, I will tentatively go on to Oregon, but I may not progress any farther. I have been reading at a snail's pace as of late.

message 41: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (Tstan) | 576 comments I think you've earned a break! Eight books from the wishlist is really impressive. And I've enjoyed all the visuals from your trip- it's a slideshow with book reviews!

message 42: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Tracy wrote: "I think you've earned a break! Eight books from the wishlist is really impressive. And I've enjoyed all the visuals from your trip- it's a slideshow with book reviews!"

Thank you, Tracy!

message 43: by Diane (last edited Sep 10, 2017 08:37PM) (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Oregon: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey,

Rating: 4+ stars.

Great book. This is the third time I have read it and I enjoy it a little more each time. It is about a psychiatric hospital in Oregon whose patients are under the care of the infamous and cruel Nurse Ratched. A newcomer arrives and takes on Ratched and changes the fortunes of the patients.

Crater Lake - deepest lake in the US

message 44: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments On to Washington.

message 45: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments 22. Washington: Willard and His Bowling Trophies by Richard Brautigan Willard and His Bowling Trophies by Richard Brautigan.

Rating: 3 stars
Connection to Washington: Author was born there (setting is in California)

This is an odd little book. It is a super quick read and written in sparse prose with short sentences. The story is entertaining, yet strange. The main characters are a dysfunctional couple who suffer from a venereal disease. Meanwhile, a band of brothers has turned to crime in an effort to get back their stolen bowling trophies. Willard, from the title, is a papier-mâché bird who accompanied the stolen bowling trophies.

This was perhaps a little less bizarre than In Watermelon Sugar, but I enjoyed that book more since it didn't have the graphic sex that this book has. Fortunately, it is just in the beginning. The couple was into the book Story of O, if that tells you anything.

Overall, although entertaining, I don't think this book should be on the list.

[image error]

message 46: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (Hilded) | 228 comments Loved following your journey, so many nice pictures :)

message 47: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1151 comments Hilde wrote: "Loved following your journey, so many nice pictures :)"

Thank you!