READ 100+ BOOKS IN 2017 discussion

July's challenge

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Halfway through the year! It is going fast. I hope you all are finding good books to read. Here's July's topics:

1. Read a book whose title begins with B.
2. July 1 is Canada Day. Read a book set in Canada.
3. July 4 is Independence Day. Read a book set in the United States.
4. July 14 is Bastille Day. Read a book set in France.
5. Since England was involved in some way with each of the above countries, read a book set in England.
6. July is National Ice Cream month, National Blueberry month, and National Hot Dog month so read a book about food.
7. July 27 is Bagpipe Appreciation Day. Read a book set in Scotland.
8. Read a book by an author born the same year as you.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Jul 28, 2017 08:12AM) (new)

Book Concierge (TessaBookConcierge) July challenge
begins: 01July17 / Ends: 31July17

5 tasks completed

1. Title begins with B - Band of Brothers ✔ – 07July17
3. Set in the United States - The Gatekeeper ✔ – 08July17
5. Set in England - The Serpent's Tale ✔ – 13July17
6. A book about food - Bliss ✔ – 27July17
9. Your choice - Into the Beautiful North ✔ – 16July17

message 3: by Chuck (last edited Jul 21, 2017 04:49AM) (new)

Chuck Herrera | 34 comments My July's topics:

1. Read a book whose title begins with B.
"Beware Beware" by Steph Cha
3. July 4 is Independence Day. Read a book set in the United States.
"City of Ghosts" by Kelli Stanley, Book #3 of the Miranda Corbie series. Takes place in San Francisco and Reno, Nevada.
"Trouble is My Business," by Raymond Chandler Los Angeles, California is the location.
5. Since England was involved in some way with each of the above countries, read a book set in England.
6. July is National Ice Cream month, National Blueberry month, and National Hot Dog month so read a book about food.
9. Your choice.
"Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn
"Monday Mornings" By Sanjay Gupta, MD
"Midnight Sun" by Jo Nesbo

message 4: by Sheila (last edited Jul 29, 2017 09:16PM) (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Here are my reads for July. Slow going though.

5/9, 11 books

1. Read a book whose title begins with B--Belong to Me by Gaelen Foley and Jaz Kennedy--finished 7/16/17 Belong to Me (Harmony Falls, Book 2) by Gaelen Foley.
3. July 4 is Independence Day. Read a book set in the United States.--The Librarian and the Spy by Susan Mann--finished 7/7/17 The Librarian and the Spy (Librarian and the Spy Escapade #1) by Susan Mann
5. Since England was involved in some way with each of the above countries, read a book set in England--Pretty Jane and the Viper of Kidbrooke Lane: A True Story of Victorian Law and Disorder by Paul Thomas Murphy--finished 7/26/17. Pretty Jane and the Viper of Kidbrooke Lane A True Story of Victorian Law and Disorder The Unsolved Murder that Shocked Victorian England by Paul Thomas Murphy
6. July is National Ice Cream month, National Blueberry month, and National Hot Dog month so read a book about food--The Simplicity of Cider by Amy E. Reichert--finished 7/28/17. The Simplicity of Cider by Amy E. Reichert
9. Your choice--Au Naturel by Ernestine Winn--finished 7/1/17 Au Naturel by Ernestine Winn

Bonus:
Dream of Me by Gaelen Foley and Jaz Kennedy--finished 7/10/17 Dream of Me (Harmony Falls, #1) by Gaelen Foley
Another Day in the Death of America--Gary Younge--finished 7/19/17 Another Day in the Death of America A Chronicle of Ten Short Lives by Gary Younge
Be Frank With Me by Julia Clairborne Johnson--finished 7/21/17 Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson
The Long Road Home: Brody by Jan Scarbrough--finished 7/28/17 Brody The Montana McKennas (The Montana Ranchers, #2) by Jan Scarbrough
The Silence of the Library by Miranda James--finished 7/29/17 The Silence of the Library (Cat in the Stacks, #5) by Miranda James
Denali Nights by Mark Horrell--finished 7/29/17 Denali Nights A commercial expedition to climb Mt McKinley's West Buttress (Footsteps on the Mountain travel diaries Book 20) by Mark Horrell

message 5: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 34 comments Now reading "Midnight Sun" by Jo Nesbo (Blood on Snow #2).

"A wayward hitman, mourning a recent loss, arrives in a tiny town on Norway's far northeastern border. He calls himself Ulf and gives a halfhearted excuse for his presence, but the locals, who seem as if out of a folk story from a previous century, ask him few questions and supply him with food, shelter, and a gun.

In his previous life, Ulf worked as a fixer for The Fisherman, one of the cruelest drug kings in Oslo, a man whose reach spans the globe. After acting foolishly (but out of mercy and desperation), Ulf has now become the man his boss needs fixed. Can this strange town - and especially a curious, lonely boy with his taciturn mother - offer Ulf a chance at redemption while he awaits the arrival of those who would hunt him down?"

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9) by Jan Karon-Jan Karon 7-2-17
This is the ninth book of a laid back series about an Episcopalian priest in a small town in North Carolina. It is often funny and sweet with the occasional sad vignette mixed into the plot. I'm enjoying rereading this series.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling-J.K. Rowling 7-20-17
For the most part, my view of the Harry Potter series is that each subsequent book in this series gets longer and more interesting because the kids are getting older, and so, the situations get more intense. It's so well written and has good values. Very good fantasy.

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9) by Jan Karon-Jan Karon 7-2-17
This is the ninth book of a laid back series about an Episcopalian priest in a small town in North Carolina. It is often funny and sweet with th..."

I enjoyed the Harry Potter series. I am amazed when I reread them how much I have forgotten. Great series!

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (TessaBookConcierge) Update Message # 2

Managed to finish 5 tasks so far. Won't get my Canada book read (or probably even started) before the month ends.

Calling this one done.

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Update Message # 2

Managed to finish 5 tasks so far. Won't get my Canada book read (or probably even started) before the month ends.

Calling this one done."

I'm not sure if I'll get it all done but I have the books picked out. As long as you are enjoying yourself, that is all that matters.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Home to Holly Springs (Father Tim, #1) by Jan Karon-Jan Karon 7-30-17
Even though this is considered a Father Tim novel rather than a Mitford novel, it is chronologically number 10 of the Mitford series except for the fact Father Tim is visiting his hometown in Mississippi for the entire novel. So, I consider this to be the tenth book of a laid back series about an Episcopalian priest in a small town in North Carolina. It is often funny and sweet with the occasional sad vignette mixed into the plot. According to my records, I've read this novel before, but it must have been a long time ago because I'd completely forgotten it. Anyhow, it explained a lot about Father Tim's background and served to develop his character even more, and I enjoyed it.