Play Book Tag discussion

The Book of Unknown Americans
This topic is about The Book of Unknown Americans
June 2017: Other Books > The Book Of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez- 4 stars

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracy (Tstan) | 675 comments The Unknown Americans are all documented, or US citizens, living in an apartment complex in the Wilmington, DE area. All of them are Latinx, and just trying to get ahead. This is set in 2008-09, when the economy was in the tank, so it wasn't easy. Add the prejudices and outright hatred that all the narrators describe, and my heart was engaged from the start.
This centers around a fairly well to do couple (at least when they lived in Mexico), Arturo and Alma, and their daughter Mirabel, who suffered a brain injury, and they want to enroll her in a good special education program in the US. There's also a boy who helps bring Mirabel out of her shell as much as school does.
The agony that Alma describes as she blames herself for the accident is as real as I've ever felt from a book. And the anxiety of, as she describes, being conspicuous and invisible at the same time, is something not everyone feels( past adolescence, anyway.) I do have one warning/spoiler alert: this is a book you must finish at home. It's an ugly cry!
I highly recommend this one, especially the audio- it was a five star cast.
Plus- if you're joining in Jen's book challenge across America- Delaware!

Book Concierge (TessaBookConcierge) | 2640 comments It was a 4-star read for me.
LINK to my review

Shouldn't this be in the "coming of age" folder?