All About Books discussion

Upcoming Monthly Reads > July 2017- What will you be reading?

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (hev_uk) | 4082 comments It's July already!

What will you be reading this month?

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (hev_uk) | 4082 comments I will be finishing To the Bright Edge of the World. I also hope to read A Horse Walks into a Bar.

I will also be reading Essential Haematology in preparation for my new job in August

message 3: by dely (new)

dely | 4924 comments I want to finish A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose to read at home, then maybe another book to read on the beach (but I still don't know what, I have to see what is available at the beach-library because the books I already own are not light reads suitable to read on the beach).

Then I hope to read The Song of Bernadette though my son wants to force me to read 1984. He is reading it now and loving it, so now he wants me to read it as soon as possible. I will surely read it seen that I haven't read it yet.

message 5: by Angela M (new)

Angela M | 3778 comments Esther , looking forward to what you think of Sport of Kings. I have a copy but haven't gotten to it yet .

Marina (Sonnenbarke) (Sonnenbarke) | 1181 comments My plans:

finish The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 4
finish Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books

continue reading (if possible finish) Deutschland, eine Reise

1984 - a re-read, started this morning
A Dance with Dragons - at long last!
Animal Farm - a re-read
Chess Story
Between Nine and Nine

Not much more, I think, since G.R.R. Martin's book is over 1,100 pages!

message 7: by Ana (new)

Ana | 475 comments Hello! :) This month I'll be reading " The old man and the sea" (Hemingway) and "Frankenstein" (M. Shelley). They've been on my list for a while. Let's see what these books carry inside :)

message 8: by Pink (last edited Aug 04, 2017 03:56AM) (new)

Pink | 4265 comments Lot's of plans, little hope of completing!

To finish -
Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs 4 stars
The Count of Monte Cristo 5 stars

Personal challenges, something from these -
The Waves currently reading 2 stars
The Two Gentlemen of Verona 3 stars
Twelfth Night 3 stars
The Swimming-Pool Library
Sons and Lovers currently reading
Ada, or Ardor: A Family Chronicle
Howards End
A Clergyman's Daughter 3.5 stars

Other library books on loan -
The Essex Serpent 4 stars
A Horse Walks into a Bar 2.5 stars
The Good People
They Can't Kill Us All: The Story of Black Lives Matter
The Secret Scripture
Homegoing
Judas

I'd be grateful if anyone has opinion's on any of these books, as I won't have time for them all :)

message 9: by Leslie (last edited Jul 31, 2017 11:56AM) (new)

Leslie | 14541 comments For now, I am operating without a plan... Actually, I am finding the lack of planning a bit more stressful than I expected!

So here is a minimal plan for July:

I will finish up my current books: The Far Pavilions in audiobook & Stop Press, a mystery by Michael Innes, on my Kindle.

I hope to read in July:
The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (reread via audiobook)
Plan B, a sci fi book from the library
The Annam Jewel

Infinite Jest (readalong)
Brewster's Millions
A Raisin in the Sun (AAB seasonal play)

message 10: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 932 comments Pink wrote: "Lot's of plans, little hope of completing!
Other library books on loan -
The Essex Serpent..."

I have the Essex Serpent waiting on my shelf. I really want to start it but have because so slammed with work and other commitments I just don't seem to be able to get enough time to read.

message 11: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 932 comments Leslie wrote: "will finish up my current books: The Far Pavilions .."

Wow that is a flash of nostalgia. My mother bought, and read, that book after loving the TV series. Somehow I never got round to it.

message 12: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 932 comments Angela M wrote: "Esther , looking forward to what you think of Sport of Kings. I have a copy but haven't gotten to it yet ."

I don't much like either sport or horses but Simon from The Readers podcast recommended it so I thought I would give it a go.

message 13: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4172 comments I'll be continuing with Memoirs of a Geisha and starting Small Great Things with my book club. Not sure what will be next, but I have no shortage of books both on kindle and my bookshelves...

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 14541 comments Esther wrote: "Leslie wrote: "will finish up my current books: The Far Pavilions .."

Wow that is a flash of nostalgia. My mother bought, and read, that book after loving the TV series. Somehow I never got round ..."

Someone else mentioned to me that there was a lovely film of this. Funnily enough, I had never heard of this book until recently! Maybe the TV series didn't make it to the US?

message 15: by Esther (last edited Jul 02, 2017 07:52AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 932 comments Leslie wrote: "Someone else mentioned to me that there was a lovely film of this. Funnily enough, I had never heard of this book until recently! Maybe the TV series didn't make it to the US? ..."

It was very popular in England but possibly didn't make it the the US
Far Pavilions.
It might seem dated now especially with Amy Irving playing the Indian female lead!
But it has Omar Sharrif and Ben Cross playing the charming English officer. More romantic but a lot less realistic than Jewel In the Crown.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather (hev_uk) | 4082 comments Shirley, I really enjoyed Great Small Things. It really made me think. Would love to hear you thoughts.

message 18: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 28, 2017 02:44PM) (new)

message 20: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) | 65 comments I will be starting The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See. This is is for my newly formed book group which meets at the end of July. But other than for book groups - I'm in three - I don't plan out my books. I am a mood reader so I let the books decide for me.

message 21: by Pink (new)

Pink | 4265 comments Esther, I feel the same way about The Essex Serpent, I've been meaning to get to it for ages, but never seem to make time for it. I might start later today.

message 22: by Petra (new)

Petra | 2962 comments Nancy, I think you'll enjoy The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane. Have you read any of Lisa See's books before?

message 24: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) | 65 comments Petra - I do hope I enjoy The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane. Yes, I've read most of Lisa See's books but still think Jason's Flower and the secret Fan is her best read. What have you read and what did you think?

message 25: by Petra (new)

Petra | 2962 comments Nancy from NJ wrote: "Petra - I do hope I enjoy The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane. Yes, I've read most of Lisa See's books but still think Jason's Flower and the secret Fan is her best read. What have you read and what d..."

Nancy, I like Lisa See's writing and have enjoyed many of her books:
Snowflower and the Secret Fan
Peony in Love
Shanghai Girls & Dreams of Joy
China Dolls
The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane

I would probably pick up any book by her and give it a try. I've had luck with her books so far.

message 26: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 9440 comments Nancy and Petra, I think Lisa See's best is On Gold Mountain: The One-Hundred-Year Odyssey of My Chinese-American Family. You might want to check it out.

message 27: by Petra (new)

Petra | 2962 comments Chrissie, I'll look into that book. I like a good family history memoir story. Thanks!

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather (hev_uk) | 4082 comments I really enjoyed Snow Flower and the Secret Fan but I've not read any of her other books. I will need to check them out at some point!

message 29: by Colleen (last edited Aug 16, 2017 05:32PM) (new)

message 30: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 9440 comments Petra wrote: "Chrissie, I'll look into that book. I like a good family history memoir story. Thanks!"

Well, it was without a doubt my favorite by See.

message 31: by Guy (new)

Guy Austin | 267 comments my July list I hope to find time to get to:

Still reading:
Les Misérables Loving
Killers of the Flower Moon Loving
Multiply: Disciples Making Disciples Live Club slow read.

Hope to get to:
The Kite Runner
Exit West

message 32: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 932 comments Esther wrote: "I will be finishing The Stargazer's Embassy and Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China.
I am also hoping to read The Solace of Trees and [book:The Sport of..."

I finished The Stargazer's Embassy. I will return to Wild Swans but am not sure I will haul around that brick on my commute.

message 33: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) | 65 comments I will be reading, for my newly formed book group, Lis See's new book The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane.

message 34: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 31, 2017 10:19AM) (new)

Chrissie | 9440 comments I need another book or two and have chosen:

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman 2 stars read
Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome completed in August

See message 18 for other books read this month.

message 35: by Esther (last edited Aug 02, 2017 11:04AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 932 comments Esther wrote: "I will be finishing The Stargazer's Embassy and Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China.
I am also hoping to read The Solace of Trees and book:The Sport of..."

Well I didn't finish Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China but I did finish The Stargazer's Embassy and The Solace of Trees both of which were a little out of the usual for me.