Reading the Detectives discussion

Group reads > September 2017 group read - winner!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 53) (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Judy (last edited Jul 31, 2017 11:13AM) (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 4801 comments Mod
It's time to nominate for our September group read. You are welcome to nominate books by Golden Age authors, or titles which were written later but are set during the Golden Age. Just one nomination per group member, please.

Clutch of Constables by Ngaio Marsh is already nominated for this month's poll - it was held over from the second chance poll to avoid splitting the Marsh vote. So please don't nominate any other Marsh books this time round!

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (KnyttWytch) | 232 comments I would like to nominate The Lake District Murder by John Bude The Lake District Murder (Superintendent Meredith, #1) by John Bude

When a body is found at an isolated garage, Inspector Meredith is drawn into a complex investigation where every clue leads to another puzzle. Was this a suicide, or something more sinister? Why was the dead man planning to flee the country? And how is this connected to the shady business dealings of the garage?

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill (Dogbotsmum) | 751 comments After all the legal and courtroom books we have talked about, I would like to nominateThe Middle Temple Murder by J.S. Fletcher

All this led up to the appearance of Mr. Aylmore, M.P., in the witness-box. And Spargo knew and felt that it was that appearance for which the crowded court was waiting. Thanks to his own vivid and realistic specials in the Watchman, everybody there had already become well and thoroughly acquainted with the mass of evidence represented by the nine witnesses who had been in the box before Mr. Aylmore entered it. They were familiar, too, with the facts which Mr. Aylmore had permitted Spargo to print after the interview at the club, which Ronald Breton arranged. Why, then, the extraordinary interest which the Member of Parliament's appearance aroused?

message 4: by Everyman (last edited Jun 30, 2017 07:07PM) (new)

Everyman | 541 comments The Sands of Windee (Bony, #2) by Arthur W. UpfieldI'll nominate probably the only Australian half-aborigine detective in fiction: Bony.

The Sands of Windee

Not perhaps Upfield's best, but one of the few in print in the US, and will lead those who don't know him to start to search the used bookstores for more!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 5807 comments Mod
Murder Gone Mad: A Detective Story Club Classic Crime Novel Murder Gone Mad A Detective Story Club Classic Crime Novel (The Detective Club) by Philip MacDonald

The first Golden Age detective novel to feature a serial killer with no rational motive - and surely impossible for Scotland Yard to solve?

A long knife with a brilliant but perverted brain directing it is terrorising Holmdale – innocent people are being done to death under the very eyes of the law. After every murder a business-like letter arrives announcing that another ‘removal has been carried out’, and Inspector Pyke of Scotland Yard has nothing to go on but the evidence of the bodies themselves and the butcher’s own bravado. With clear thinking impossible in the face of such a breathless killing spree, the police make painfully slow progress: but how do you find a maniac who has no rational motive?

Philip MacDonald had shown himself to be a master of the detective novel. In Murder Gone Mad he raised the stakes with the first Golden Age crime novel to feature a motiveless serial killer prompted only by blood lust – inspired by the real-life case in 1929 of the Düsseldorf Monster. This is a stand alone novel..

message 6: by Abbey (last edited Jul 02, 2017 09:03AM) (new)

Abbey (Abbess) | 93 comments Susan wrote: "Murder Gone Mad: A Detective Story Club Classic Crime Novel Murder Gone Mad A Detective Story Club Classic Crime Novel (The Detective Club) by Philip MacDonald"

This sounds absolutely wonderful (I enjoy his writing anyway) BUT

Amazon USA does NOT have kindle edition link leads to for sale! there's a little box on the page:
"This title is not currently available for purhase"

and no indicator when - or if! - it will be.

there are HC and pb copies avail tho.

message 7: by Susan (last edited Jul 02, 2017 09:08AM) (new)

I have long given up checking Amazon.com, Abbey. Apparently, I can only see what is available in the UK anyway, even on the US site, so I just have to suggest what I think would be a good read. I was a bit worried about Everyman's nomination, but his choice is available on Amazon UK. However, other nominations by US readers haven't been available on kindle and vice versa.

message 8: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Vinicius | 207 comments For me, if a book isn't available in kindle, that will be a huge obstacle.

message 9: by Judy (last edited Jul 02, 2017 09:54AM) (new)

We've had other nominations which aren't on Kindle in some parts of the world - unfortunately it's difficult for anyone nominating to check availability worldwide.

If a book does ever win the vote which some members can't get hold of, then we could always have an alternative buddy read which will hopefully keep everyone happy.

message 10: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1162 comments Everyman wrote: "The Sands of Windee (Bony, #2) by Arthur W. UpfieldI'll nominate probably the only Australian half-aborigine detective in fiction: Bony.

The Sands of Windee

Not perhaps Upfield's best, but one..."

Looks like a number of them are now available on Kindle.

message 11: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (Carolien_S) | 322 comments It's published a bit earlier, but I'd like to nominate A Strange Disappearance.

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1069 comments Mod
Carolien wrote: "It's published a bit earlier, but I'd like to nominate A Strange Disappearance."

It's free on Amazon in the US

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Michelleae) | 299 comments Sandy wrote: "Carolien wrote: "It's published a bit earlier, but I'd like to nominate A Strange Disappearance."

It's free on Amazon in the US"

And free in the UK!

message 14: by Judy (new)

Some great nominations again - I'm already torn over what to vote for. :)

message 15: by Carol ꧁꧂ (last edited Jul 05, 2017 02:10PM) (new)

Carol  ꧁꧂  | 489 comments I enjoyed the first Rex Stout so much I would like to nominate The Rubber Band It is showing up (for me) as quite pricey on Amazon, but there is a 2-in-1 set that is better value.

Edit: Should make it clear I already own this one. Just did the Amazon research for the rest of you. :)

message 16: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Vinicius | 207 comments I second The Rubber Band. Wanna meet Nero Wolf again!

message 17: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1162 comments I have that 2-in-1 set. I haven't picked it up lately though. Sounds good to me, too.

message 18: by Judy (new)

Another great nomination Carol - we had a good Rex Stout discussion last time round so it would be fun to do another one. I have read this one but don't remember it very well so would be up for a reread.

message 19: by Wend (new)

Wend (Wends) | 12 comments Please may I nominate Murder At Merisham Lodge Murder at Merisham Lodge (Miss Hart and Miss Hunter Investigate, #1) by Celina Grace by Celina Grace

message 20: by Judy (new)

You may indeed, Wend - thanks for the nomination, I've had this one on my Kindle for a while now waiting to be read.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Good nomination, Wend. There are so many great series set, rather than written, in our time period, that I am always surprised we don't get more suggested.

message 22: by Ace (new)

Ace (AceOnRoam) Judy wrote: "it's time to nominate for our September group read....

Clutch of Constables by Ngaio Marsh is already nominated for this month's poll - it was held over from the second chance poll to avoid splitting the Marsh vote. ..."

This was available on Overdrive at my library so I've grabbed it to read now. I will probably vote for it :)

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Ace wrote: "Judy wrote: "it's time to nominate for our September group read....

Clutch of Constables by Ngaio Marsh is already nominated for this month's poll - it was held over from the second chance poll to..."

Ace, I understand your voting technique. I use it as well; my first choices are ones I own as I never get to those without a deadline,

message 24: by Ace (new)

Ace (AceOnRoam) Yes Sandy, I'm also not buying books at the moment so if its not an owned or library book, it goes on my Christmas list for Santa!

So, I cannot join Hamlet Revenge! as I thought I owned it already but I was wrong :(

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Ace wrote: "Yes Sandy, I'm also not buying books at the moment so if its not an owned or library book, it goes on my Christmas list for Santa!

So, I cannot join Hamlet Revenge! as I thought I owned it already..."

Luckily I was able to get it on Hoopla thru my library.

message 26: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 541 comments Marcus wrote: "I second The Rubber Band. Wanna meet Nero Wolf again!"

Third it. Would be happy to re-read Rex Stout any time!

message 27: by Judy (new)

We have a great set of nominations already, but are there any more? The poll will go up at the end of the week.

message 28: by Judy (new)

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Judy wrote: "The poll is open!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1..."

This is not going to be an easy decision.

message 30: by Judy (new)

Yes Sandy, hard to choose. Murder at Merisham Lodge has taken an early lead but it's anybody's guess which will win!

message 31: by Susan (new)

I didn't realise there were so many choices!

message 32: by Judy (new)

Quite an array of possibilities, Susan - a bit like the line-up of suspects in some mysteries!

I've voted for Murder at Merisham Lodge because it's one I haven't read yet and have waiting on my Kindle, and the opening looks good. But I'm also very tempted by others, including the Rex Stout and Ngaio Marsh titles, though I've read those before.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Hmmm, a few I really like the look off and some others for which I am not so keen. Good, varied choice though.

message 34: by Judy (new)

Murder at Merisham Lodge has built up an early lead, with The Rubber Band coming second at the moment, but there is still plenty of time to go until the poll closes.

Just a reminder that we also have another second chance poll later in the year, so even if you think your favourite book won't win it is still worth voting.

message 35: by Judy (new)

Still looking like Merisham Lodge at the moment...

message 36: by Susan (new)

Yes, not much change in the vote. Please do vote if you haven't already and, like Judy says, your choice may get a chance in the second chance vote, even if it doesn't win this time around.

message 37: by Judy (new)

With just a few more days to go, looks like the battle is on for second place - Celina Grace is still well out in front, but John Bude has now crept ahead of Rex Stout...

message 38: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Vinicius | 207 comments That's a shame Judy! Red Stout must win...

Jay-me (Janet)  | 180 comments Well I am starting Murder at Merisham Lodge now because

1. It appears to be set in Wiltshire - and that will tick off one more county on my challenge

but also because

2. I have already read the book that is currently second in the poll and have zero interest in reading or re-reading any of the other choices.

message 40: by Susan (new)

One of the great things about our polls is that they can suggest titles you may want to read, even if they don't win. I quite often add books to my TBR pile from nominations, so I am always happy at the varied choices on offer.

message 41: by Judy (new)

Merisham Lodge is still out in front, Jay-me, and the poll closes Friday night/Saturday morning depending on your time zone, so there isn't long to go now!

I also often add books which are nominated to my TBR - I've heard of quite a few authors for the first time when they have been nominated.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 180 comments Judy wrote: "Merisham Lodge is still out in front, Jay-me, and the poll closes Friday night/Saturday morning depending on your time zone, so there isn't long to go now!

I also often add books which are nominat..."

When I checked - I had already read Murder at Merisham Lodge (possibly set in Derbyshire) The one I had lined up was by the same author and was four separate short stories set in the same place at different times. The first story was the same characters as the Murder at Merisham Lodge.
I won't change my vote though - as it will be interesting to see what others thought of that book.

message 43: by Susan (new)

The gap is lessening. I would be happy with either of the front runners, but have downloaded Murder at Merisham Lodge, as I will read it whether it wins or not.

message 44: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 541 comments Susan wrote: "The gap is lessening. I would be happy with either of the front runners, but have downloaded Murder at Merisham Lodge, as I will read it whether it wins or not."

None of my free sources has Murder at Merisham Lodge, sadly.

message 45: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (Abbess) | 93 comments I just realized that Kindle Unlimited has Merisham available, yay!

message 46: by Judy (new)

We have a winner! Murder at Merisham Lodge by Celina Grace will be our September read.

Murder at Merisham Lodge (Miss Hart and Miss Hunter Investigate, #1) by Celina Grace

The result was very close in the end, down to a single vote. In second place was The Lake District Murder by John Bude, which will go through to our next second chance vote.

Full results:

Murder at Merisham Lodge (Miss Hart and Miss Hunter Investigate, #1) 11 votes, 36.7%
The Lake District Murder (Superintendent Meredith, #1) 10 votes, 33.3%
The Rubber Band (Nero Wolfe, #3) 4 votes, 13.3%
Murder Gone Mad: A Detective Story Club Classic Crime Novel (The Detective Club) 2 votes, 6.7%
Clutch of Constables (Roderick Alleyn, #25) 2 votes, 6.7%
The Middle Temple Murder 1 vote, 3.3%
A Strange Disappearance 0 votes, 0.0%
The Sands of Windee (Bony, #2) 0 votes, 0.0%

message 47: by Susan (new)

Great, looking forward to it :)

message 48: by Judy (new)

Everyman wrote: "None of my free sources has Murder at Merisham Lodge, sadly. "

Sorry to hear that, Everyman - I picked it up a while ago when it was free on Kindle in the UK, so fingers crossed it is chosen for a similar offer in the US.

message 49: by Judy (new)

Susan wrote: "Great, looking forward to it :)"

I'm looking forward to it too - I've had a peek at the start and it looks good from that.

message 50: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1162 comments Oh, wow. I was about to bite the bullet and be willing to pay $5 for it. Discovered that I bought it 2/26. Hope it was cheap then.

« previous 1