Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 56) (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 1843 comments Mod
Hello all- this is our thread to just have a fun conversation with the members of the group. It's also a great place to throw a question out there if you don't see a certain thread that you'd like to start a conversation about. We try and keep the threads tidy and so this is always a good thread to post on.

Anyone have any fun plans for the 4th of July?

message 2: by Beth - ;) (new)

Beth - ;) (Trekkerbeth) | 208 comments Our big holiday is tomorrow - Canada's 150th birthday. Lots of celebrations will be going on all over the country.

It is also my daughter's 39 birthday. All those fireworks are for her. :) That is what we told her when she was little. She was about 4 or 5 when we were sitting on the hill overlooking the river, waiting for the display to begin; she looked around at everyone and said "how do all these people know it is my birthday"

Beth - :)
in Calgary

message 3: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Beth - ;) wrote: "Our big holiday is tomorrow - Canada's 150th birthday. Lots of celebrations will be going on all over the country.

It is also my daughter's 39 birthday. All those fireworks are for her. :) That i..."

That is so cute Beth- I love it!That would be pretty spectacular to always have fireworks on your birthday!! :)

message 4: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Andrea Cox (AndreaCox) | 3097 comments Mod
My family is grilling out and having s'mores. I'll also be watching a couple of war movies (which I won't share here due to the ratings -- war violence, go figure) to help commemorate what our forefathers and current military men and women are doing to set our country free and make sure it stays that way.

Thank you to the brave men and women who have risked and sometimes given their lives to keep our country's traditions of freedom firmly in place.

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (PinkHairedWannabe) | 21 comments My mom is going to take my brothers and I to see our town's annual 4th of July parade. She wasn't able to celebrate the holiday with us due to work last year, so she said this year she's making it count. We're even going to paint stars on our faces. After the parade, she's going to make BBQ chicken sandwiches and corn on the cob for us, and S'Mores. After the sun sets, we'll watch fireworks.

I'm most excited for the parade. We went a few years ago and I'll never forget how much fun it was!

message 6: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn V | 358 comments we had plans for 5 days camping, a four hour drive one-way; but, my dads health is such; I didn't want to be that far away. so, someone else took our spot. So, I will relax more reading and working on those challenges.

message 7: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (LibraryDiva) | 3120 comments Mod
No plans for the 4th other than watching the DC 4th of July on TV as that is a tradition for us. We will be doing some celebrating on July 2nd as that is our 49th wedding anniversary!

message 8: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Beth - ;) wrote: "Our big holiday is tomorrow - Canada's 150th birthday. Lots of celebrations will be going on all over the country.

It is also my daughter's 39 birthday. All those fireworks are for her. :) That i..."

Happy Birthday to Canada Beth-;) I claim it as my second country (could actually apply for dual citizenship). Both my parents were born in Ontario Canada. I was born here in the states but spent summers with my grandparents in Ontario until I graduated from high school.

message 9: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Yes- Happy Canada day to our wonderful folks in Canada!! One of my dearest friends ( and prayer warrior mommies who has prayed for my kids with me since pre-school) is from Canada. We love our Northern neighbors!!

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane | 182 comments It's fun to hear what everyone else does for the holiday! Our local fireworks display is set off from the sport fields at the school directly behind my house. So every year (whether I want it or not!) there is an Independence Day party happening in my backyard. Woohoo! Sparklers and glow bracelets for everyone! I find all kinds of friends and family back there that I never knew I had! I vow every July 5th that next year I'm packing up and going to the beach for a nice, quiet holiday -- but somehow that never happens! :)

message 11: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

My family ended up going to see a 4th of July parade yesterday. My sister and a friend of hers were in it, so we drove an hour and ten minutes (each way) to go see it. I got some reading in during the ride up there and back. :)

message 12: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Bet your sister was happy you all came to see her Andrea! We are looking forward to the 4th next year. Our son and his family just moved to a new home. There back yard looks out over a lake and we will all be able to sit on their deck and watch the fireworks!!

message 13: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Wow, Loraine, that sounds lovely! I envision many Fourth of July events enjoyed out there for y'all.

message 14: by Marion (new)

Marion | 151 comments Happy anniversary to you and your husband, Loraine!

message 15: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Thank you Marion!

message 16: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2213 comments Mod
Happy anniversary, Loraine! I love seeing your wedding photos. :)

message 17: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2213 comments Mod
Well, the 4th of July here will be a bit lackluster. I've been slammed with homework the past two days, and today I'm off work, thankfully, because I still need to finish the reading for class tonight and do Wednesday's reading as well. I also have to watch a movie and write a critical response about it for Wed. evening's class, too.

However, I'm hoping that I can finish everything today, except maybe for the movie, might have to do that tomorrow, but that's okay, a movie is kind of fun, then tomorrow we can grill out and stuff like that. My husband is off as well, so it's nice to have days off together for a change. :)

message 18: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2213 comments Mod
Jane wrote: "It's fun to hear what everyone else does for the holiday! Our local fireworks display is set off from the sport fields at the school directly behind my house. So every year (whether I want it or no..."

Jane, at least you don't have to travel to see the fireworks, yeah? You just walk outside, haha. :)

message 19: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2213 comments Mod
Andrea wrote: "My family ended up going to see a 4th of July parade yesterday. My sister and a friend of hers were in it, so we drove an hour and ten minutes (each way) to go see it. I got some reading in during ..."

How fun! And score on bonus reading time!

message 20: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Beth wrote: "And score on bonus reading time!"

For sure! I'm always excited about bonus reading time when I get it.

message 21: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Beth wrote: "Well, the 4th of July here will be a bit lackluster. I've been slammed with homework the past two days, and today I'm off work, thankfully, because I still need to finish the reading for class toni..."

So glad you and Sean get to enjoy the 4th together. Hope you get through all that work so you just have the movie to watch.

message 22: by Joy (new)

Joy (AudioAddict1234) | 195 comments Beth, we are lackluster here as well. I have to work all week and it gets dark so late that I really can't do fireworks. I'll probably have to take a Benadryl to get some sleep though. Thankfully my girls are old enough to do their own thing.

I am hoping to cajole my hunny into grilling burgers though, and maybe we'll eat some watermelon.

Also, since tomorrow's not supposed to be a work day I'm planning to sleep in a bit and get my walk in before work. Then probably leave around 2.

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chancock93) | 594 comments So, I have a quick question. Have any of you ever heard of or have an accountability partner?

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine | 499 comments Happy anniversary, Loraine!!

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine | 499 comments Beth wrote: "Well, the 4th of July here will be a bit lackluster. I've been slammed with homework the past two days, and today I'm off work, thankfully, because I still need to finish the reading for class toni..."

I hope you were able to get your work done and have a relaxing 4th, Beth!

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine | 499 comments Beth - ;) wrote: "Our big holiday is tomorrow - Canada's 150th birthday. Lots of celebrations will be going on all over the country.

That made me laugh out loud, Beth! The innocence of children!

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine | 499 comments I'll be getting together with some friends for a simple cookout and then fireworks. I'm hoping to get some reading time in also. It should be a fairly relaxing day.

message 28: by Joy (new)

Joy (AudioAddict1234) | 195 comments Courtney, i have had accountability partners in a couple areas. One is for faith. You walk with one another and share your faith journeys and you challenge one another by asking the hard questions.

Then at work we have little accountability groups where we talk about how we are handling various things.

I even brought this home and asked hubby to hold me accountable for eating better and exercising, and I would do the same for him.

message 29: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn V | 358 comments we got invited for an evening picnic and fireworks; so, hope it's done raining by then.

message 30: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Thanks for the anniversary wishes Beth and Christine! Hard to believe it's been 49 years! The older you get the faster they go. But God has blessed us through the good times and the difficult ones.

message 31: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chancock93) | 594 comments Joy wrote: "Courtney, i have had accountability partners in a couple areas. One is for faith. You walk with one another and share your faith journeys and you challenge one another by asking the hard questions...."

See I believe that's what I need in my life, when it comes to my faith, is someone to keep me accountable. I know that God is always watching, but it is so easy to get wrapped up in every day activities that I forget where I am at or even what I am doing. I know that at the end of the day that I am responsible for my walk with Christ, and no one else can do my walk for me; however, I do think that having someone that I can check in with would be an amazing thing to have.

message 32: by Joy (new)

Joy (AudioAddict1234) | 195 comments Courtney, I sent you a PM.

message 33: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chancock93) | 594 comments Joy wrote: "Courtney, I sent you a PM."

I have received it, it has been wonderful conversing with you.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (CodenameAgentMcMuffin) | 242 comments Do any of you ever feel...alone? Or dejected? Like all you can do is mess things up and make the people around you angry? So you shut yourself away and feel lonely and try to open up, only to make people angry again?

Wow that was really specific 0-0 But in case it wasn't blatantly obvious...I am feeling that way.

message 35: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

I'm very sorry to hear that. Try listening to some uplifting praise music. That usually helps lift my mood.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (CodenameAgentMcMuffin) | 242 comments I don't think some cheery music is going to fix this problem.

message 37: by Joy (new)

Joy (AudioAddict1234) | 195 comments Has anyone here done the Beth Moore study on the Beloved Disciple and still have your workbook. I'm struggling with something. I'm doing this on my own and I'm missing a point in the current chapter.

message 38: by Joy (new)

Joy (AudioAddict1234) | 195 comments Hunter, have you ever sought professional counseling? Your posts here over the last few months seem fraught with hopelessness and despair. I can tell you all day that the joy of the Lord is my strength but you don't seem to be in a place where your ears can hear that. How old are you? Are you dependent on others for your well-being or do you live on your own? Do you have anyone in your life you can trust? Anyone in your church or family?

I'm concerned for you.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (CodenameAgentMcMuffin) | 242 comments I'm 18, just graduated High school in MAy. i'm completely dependent on my parents. I don't even have my driver's license yet!!

I'm not sure what you mean by "Do you have anyone in your life you can trust?" and i haven't been to church in a long time.

What are you concerned about?

message 40: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Does anyone have a good recipe for spinach and mushroom enchiladas? On the Border has some really great ones, and I'd like to find something similar that's not too difficult to make. Thanks!

message 41: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 83 comments I'd eat those Andrea. Mmmm

message 42: by Joy (new)

Joy (AudioAddict1234) | 195 comments Hunter, I will try to explain what I am concerned about.

I've noticed that when you come here and ask questions and someone gives you a suggestion, you seem to dismiss that suggestion without even trying it. Maybe you aren't really looking for suggestions but just someplace to vent your emotions. Or maybe you are feeling so hopeless that none of the suggestions seem like they are worth trying. Things are so bad that nothing is ever going to make them better. If that is how you are feeling, and if you feel that way every day, it could be depression and that is a serious issue. I'm not a doctor and I don't know you at all so that may not be the case. I've just noticed a pattern and since I have family members that deal with depression it concerned me. If that is not how you are feeling then please disregard my comments.

The reason I asked if there is someone you trust that you could talk to is that it seems like the answers we give here are not working for you. Someone who knows you and your situation might be better able to help you.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (CodenameAgentMcMuffin) | 242 comments I'm sorry for my...attitude towards you all. i do not try to cause problems like this but apparently I still do it. I don't know why but this is far from the only place this happens. So something is wrong with me, but what? That I cannot say and thus cannot fix.

i cause enough drama elsewhere; this is a highly inappropriate place to cause even more.

message 44: by Joy (new)

Joy (AudioAddict1234) | 195 comments You are not causing problems for me, Hunter. I apologize if my post implied that.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (CodenameAgentMcMuffin) | 242 comments It's okay. I'm always paranoid that when I say something, someone is going to get mad or upset or

Trust me, it's not just here.

message 46: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Is anyone else watching Manic Monday at Wimbledon today? Everyone in the Round of 16 is playing today. Lots of great matches going on. Check out ESPN and ESPN2.

message 47: by Carolyn (last edited Jul 11, 2017 05:11AM) (new)

Carolyn V | 358 comments one reason I joined this group. Books are a good way to take us away from lifes' greuling, sometimes disappointing days; to another world, briefly, found in a book. It takes us to another life in someone's authored books. Hunter, maybe, you need to find some uplifting books? Another known fact; when we look for an opportunity to help someone in need; it also lifts our spirits; even to just make a comment to make some other person's day. I lean toward helping single, widowed people; as they are often forgotten.

message 49: by Jane (new)

Jane | 182 comments Alegna, thanks for sharing the article; interesting paragraph about God's name not getting the same "reverence" as the n-word and the f-word.

message 50: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (AlegnaB) | 1084 comments Jane wrote: "Alegna, thanks for sharing the article..."

You're welcome. Sad, isn't it?

A while back I combined my love of books with my love of jigsaw puzzles by listening to books while doing jigsaw puzzles on my iPad. Now I've combined my love of well-done book covers with my love of jigsaw puzzles. I copy book covers and put them into my puzzle app. I edit the book covers to make them square and get the best portion of the cover, because if I don't, the app will automatically cut out portions (perhaps the top and bottom, but I don't remember). I have a practically endless supply of puzzles.

« previous 1