The History Book Club discussion

MEDIEVAL HISTORY > MEDIEVAL HISTORY - WOMEN

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 37386 comments Mod
This is a thread to discuss the medieval history of women.

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 37386 comments Mod
This is a post from Wyatt where he discusses the above:

Hello all! Good to see female history championed here. I apologize if it has been mentioned earlier, but due to my inability to sift through all the topics of conversation, But I thought I might add a small direction for those interested:

Medieval scholarship on females and their contribution to the world around them in their own time and beyond is something I think especially prudent to understanding women's historical trajectory and prospective. Throughout history, and modern day, food has been a rather sensational topic in regards to females, but perhaps more fictionalized is the lack to receive food.

Fasting has/does hold many significant and personal outlets for women to control self, circumstance, and in a way, environment. By the scholar Caroline Walker Bynum, "Holy Fast and Holy Feast: The Religious Significance of Food to Medieval Women" is a wonderful read, and in accompaniment, Rudolph Bell's "Holy Anorexia" offers a more quantitive perspective on the issue of fasting for religious and personal reasons.
In both works medieval women control the many facets of their lives.

The author's aforementioned illuminate lives of medieval women rather lost and therefore inexistent to a twenty-first readership. If anyone would like recommendations of works regarding medieval women's experiences or would merely like to discuss their experiences, I would be happy to share my small, grossly inadequate findings.

Cheers! Happy Reading

Holy Feast and Holy Fast The Religious Significance of Food to Medieval Women by Caroline Walker Bynum by Caroline Walker Bynum (no photo)

Holy Anorexia by Rudolph M. Bell by Rudolph M. Bell (no photo)