Keep Turning Pages discussion

Girl on the Leeside
This topic is about Girl on the Leeside
Girl on the Leeside > How does the way Siobhan sees herself differ from how others see her?

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Retired Moderator (new)

Sarah E  (sarahann119) | 344 comments Mod
How do you see Siobhan?

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 339 comments The character of Siobhan was at once the most simple and straightforward, yet the most complex and complicated of all these characters. I liken Siobhan to other children who have been raised in a very controlled environment with little interaction with the outside world. She was able to open up more and begin interacting with others as opportunities presented themselves, but only after she changed her own self-perception and realized there was a whole big world out there for her to discover! O don't believe she could have discovered this without such a strong and fierce love from Kee. I was so happy for Siobhan's self-realizations and discoveries! It seemed she would finally be free to make her own life as a young adult!

Cece (Creed777) | 59 comments I think she was happy at her home at the Leeside her whole life. It wasn't until someone who visited, was she able to interact with an interest that she was passionate about. Thru this experience and other life experiences , it started opening up her mind with other relationships as well. Once she had the realization that she could contribute her thoughts and ideas to others, she blossomed and started having more confidence in herself. Her family and friends were accustomed to having her around just as an observer for the most part. Once she starting sharing after those life experiences, those family members and friends starting receiving her and treating her more like an adult also.

message 4: by Bam (last edited Jul 08, 2017 07:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bam (bamcooks) | 320 comments I loved her connection to nature and the lough and her deep love of the Irish poetry. I found her quite intelligent. Look how she fooled Tim with her poems!

I have a hard time calling this a coming of age story though. Twenty-seven is beyond young adult to my way of thinking. It seemed more like arrested development. Kee made a point of keeping her isolated, as in the case of Maura inviting Siobhan to go to Scotland with her family.

She was sometimes likened to a fairy and I liked that image of her, the tiny little fey thing!

♥ Sandi ❣	 | 151 comments I felt that Siobhan was overly protected. I sensed that almost from the beginning. Being out in the countryside, always surrounded with adults, living with an overprotective uncle, working the tavern on a daily basis. There was no age appropriate activity around her for most of her life.
I can understand why she was reserved. I think she saw that reservation in herself as shyness. She had to one to emulate. No one but Maura to compare herself to, and Maura stated she felt in awe - like Siobhan was a fairy - a wee one - so I doubt that Maura would have influenced her behavior. How does one develop if there are no age appropriate examples to enlighten the difference between right and wrong, energetic and lazy, out going or shy, etc, etc.
I think most everyone - most of her life - saw Siobhan the same way she saw herself - shy - unattached - unaffected.
Then came Tim!

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 339 comments @Sandi I like your emphasis on the fact that Siobhan had no "age-appropriate interacts or opportunities

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 339 comments @ Sandi Ack! Accidentally sent that incomplete message! Yes, her lack of "age-appropriate" interactions and opportunities definitely sided in delaying her development socially.

Christine Cheripka (ccheripka) | 83 comments Siobhan saw herself as happy in her life at the Leeside. If Tim and/ or Kate hadn't inserted their influence, she probably would have gone on to be a old Siobhan still happy in herself. But change is inevitable, eventually. What we don't know, we don't miss.

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 339 comments A Christine. That is so true!