What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > MG to children's chapter about a girl summering with cousins

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Roepke | 12 comments I read this in the 70's. A girl spent the summer with her cousins. The boy was Tim and his sister was Kate I think. They lived out in the country and had horses.

They put in some kind of play to raise money. The play involved Indians burning down a ranch house. 'Tim' forgot to water some leaves they were using to create smoke, and the barn burned.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 3930 comments Anything about the cover?
PArt of a series?
Time period the story takes place?
Do you remember why they were trying to raise money?

message 3: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Roepke | 12 comments I don't remember if it was a series, or why they were raising money.

Time period...wow. Probably between the 50's and early 70's would be my best guess.

message 4: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Roepke | 12 comments bump

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 13568 comments Mod
Please note the bump period is 30+ days because this group is so large -- or sooner if you remember more information which you can add at any time.

message 6: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Roepke | 12 comments bump

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 263 comments Does one of the girls leave her hair in braids all summer, then has to cut them off because her hair ends up moldy?

message 8: by Bruce (last edited Aug 24, 2017 10:34PM) (new)

Bruce Roepke | 12 comments Kelly wrote: "Does one of the girls leave her hair in braids all summer, then has to cut them off because her hair ends up moldy?"
That part I don't remember. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, it's just not a part that's familiar.

I'm kind of thinking it was NOT a series, but I could be wrong about that, too.

The two lines I've remembered- one was during the 'play', 'Tim' had his hand over the main character's mouth, and she managed to get free enough to say 'Tim, it's fire! Real fire!'. The other was by the sister, Kate, and she said something about the girl jerking the snaffle (part of the riding gear) while she was riding.

There MIGHT have been something about one of the horses getting free, too.

And I seem to remember something about a cook (Anna, maybe) scraping burned toast. They seemed to burn a lot of toast.

message 9: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Roepke | 12 comments Bump

message 10: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Roepke | 12 comments Bump

message 11: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 3930 comments Do you remember anything about the aunt and uncle? Were they farmers?

message 12: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 700 comments This is Hobby Horse Hill, by Lavinia R. Davis. Hobby Horse Hill

The boy's name was Rod, but everything else is the same, including the "fire" scene.

message 13: by Kris (last edited Feb 05, 2018 10:49AM) (new)

Kris | 13568 comments Mod
Pamela's suggestion of Hobby Horse Hill by Lavinia R. Davis looks promising. What do you think?

From Amazon.com - "Terry finally gets excited about getting ride a horse in a circus to raise money for a new saddle, when her horse disappears."

One Goodreads reviewer says, "Terry comes to stay with her Wade cousins on Hobby Horse Hill for the summer when her parents go away to Europe. At first she is stand-offish and thinks her three cousins are hooligans but finally she thaws and becomes one of them. There is a small mystery- regarding a magnificent horse named Cassandra, boarding with the Wades for the summer, and whom cousin Rod loves. Terry and Kate are about 13, Rod is 12, and Johnny is 6."

I've seen a review that lists the horses. Perhaps you'll recognize the names: "Cassandra - chestnut mare, hunter / Magda - grey farm mare / Hobby Horse - brown and white colt, Magda's foal / Pigeon - gray pony mare / Virginia Girl - mare / Frosty Roan - red roan gelding"

message 14: by Pamela (last edited Feb 05, 2018 10:57AM) (new)

Pamela Love | 700 comments I actually own a copy, and can give more details if needed. (And note that "Hobby Horse" is actually a toy, not a real animal.)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hobby Horse Hill (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lavinia R. Davis (other topics)