Bound Together discussion

Archives 2015 thru 2017 > Off the Shelf Covers: Famous Person, Place or Thing

Comments (showing 1-50 of 51) (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Deb (new)

Deb | 2531 comments Find a book from your actual or virtual TBR shelf with any recognizable person, location, or object on the cover.

Let us know what you're reading!

message 2: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

♥ Sandi ❣	 | 13293 comments Mod
Reading A $500 House in Detroit: Rebuilding an Abandoned Home and an American City. This will be the first book of our BT selections that I read this month. Is due back to the library by mid month.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 1126 comments I will be reading Conversations with Ron Rash by Mae Miller Claxtonas soon as I finish His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet for the month of June.

PattyMacDotComma | 519 comments I intend to read Aussie (originally Scottish) rock legend Jimmy Barnes's memoir Working Class Boy, about his rough childhood in Glasgow.
Working Class Boy by Jimmy Barnes

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Finished Born a Crime Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah and highly recommend it. A serious book, by someone I enjoy watching, it also has humor and is a fast easy read.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol | 162 comments Planning to read this after Burial Rites: The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher

message 7: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandymae_R) | 393 comments Currently listening to On the Move A Life by Oliver Sacks. Not sure how recognizable Oliver Sacks is to most people, but I think he is pretty well known in healthcare/psychology. Not sure if I will get to anything else under this topic. So far I am liking it. I have also read The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks of his.

message 8: by ConnieD (new)

ConnieD (Bookwithcat) | 53 comments Mandy, that sounds interesting. I've read The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat and Awakenings.

message 9: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 643 comments Cee Cee wrote: "Planning to read this after Burial Rites: The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher"

I have the paperback on pre-order but publication has been delayed :(

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol | 162 comments Esther wrote: "Cee Cee wrote: "Planning to read this after Burial Rites: The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher"

I have the paperback on pre-order but publication has been delayed :("

I wonder why delayed...I got it from the library...

message 11: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 1126 comments Cee Cee, do you think it would have something to do with the different countries?

message 13: by Paige (new)

Paige Brydson (paigebrydson) | 103 comments Currently working on My Booky Wook by Russell Brand for this one and it has had me laughing out loud so far. It's been sitting in my to-read pile for FOREVER so I'm glad I can use it for this month's read (and for the 3rd quarter vacation challenge he he)

message 14: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 643 comments Cee Cee wrote: "Esther wrote: "Cee Cee wrote: "Planning to read this after Burial Rites: The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher"
I have the paperback on pre-order but publication has been delayed :("

I wonder..."

I think the hardback is still selling strong due to interest after her death so the paperback has been postponed.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol | 162 comments Kathleen wrote: "Cee Cee, do you think it would have something to do with the different countries?"

Could be!

message 16: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (officerripley) The Quotable Einstein: The Quotable Einstein by Alice Calaprice

message 17: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 420 comments Debra wrote: "I read Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated --
[bookcover:Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Le..."

I read that one too, I enjoyed it. We used to watch Liitle House every Sunday night when I was a kid so it was nice to reminisce.

message 18: by Debra (new)

Debra  | 301 comments Lol, Kerri. I saw your post on the "Here's What To Do" discussion board and copied your idea. So glad I did too. Loved this book. I watched Little House as a kid too.

message 19: by JanEyre9 (new)

JanEyre9 | 96 comments I didn't plan on reading the off the shelf: famous person, place or thing book but just realized I did it unintentionally by reading The Astronaut Wives Club!

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 47 comments For my Cover Challenge, I am reading Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2) by Vince Flynn Kill Shot by Vince Flynn. Famous thing: the Eiffel Tower.

message 21: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Will finish A $500 House in Detroit: Rebuilding an Abandoned Home and an American City A $500 House in Detroit Rebuilding an Abandoned Home and an American City by Drew Philp tonight.

Has a renovation project on the cover - which we all can relate to - and is centered in Detroit - a place everyone recognizes.

Not sure how I will rate this book. Started out not liking the author at all - and that will figure in - but want to wait until I actually finish the book to decide. Will give that update and the review in the "Other reads" thread probably tomorrow.

message 22: by Sonja (last edited Jul 13, 2017 01:36PM) (new)

Sonja | 2 comments Cybill Disobedience How I Survived Beauty Pageants, Elvis, Sex, Bruce Willis, Lies, Marriage, Motherhood, Hollywood, and the Irrepressible Urge to Say What I Think by Cybill Shepherd

well it's my favourite genre so i have alot of them 😆
But I just finished Cybill Sheperd- Cybill Disobedience today,
i hate the cover of it though

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 47 comments Cheryl wrote: "For my Cover Challenge, I am reading Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2) by Vince Flynn Kill Shot by Vince Flynn. Famous thing: the Eiffel Tower."

3 stars. A pretty good thriller that's part of a series. I will be reading more books by this author.

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 47 comments My next Cover Challenge book will be: Vivaldi's Virgins by Barbara Quick Vivaldi's Virgins Famous place: Venice. There is a painting of Venice on the bottom half of the cover.

message 25: by Michaelene (new)

Michaelene (bookwormmike) I'm about a third of the way through Free to Be Ruth Bader Ginsburg The Story of Women and Law by Teri Kanefield. I've always thought Justice Ginsburg must be a remarkable woman, and the details in this biography more than confirm that. It's very readable and the fact that it deals with contemporary issues as well as RBG's life makes it even more interesting.

message 26: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 47 comments Cheryl wrote: "My next Cover Challenge book will be: Vivaldi's Virgins by Barbara Quick Vivaldi's Virgins Famous place: Venice. There is a painting of Venice on the bottom half of the cover."

Finished it. 4 stars - a great read. My review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 27: by Irene (new)

Irene | 3049 comments Finished Born to Run by the Boss last night. OK, for any true fan, there was not anything new in this memoir. But, for any true fan, just the opportunity to spend time with this man is sufficient pleasure to warrant 4 stars.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished American Passage The History of Ellis Island by Vincent J. Cannato. It was ok, not as interesting as I would have hoped.

message 29: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 519 comments South Australia became home to popular Scottish-born rocker Jimmy Barnes whose autobiography is in two parts. The first is Working Class Boy
Working Class Boy by Jimmy Barnes
Scottish slums to SA migrant hostels was frying pan to fire!
My review
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 30: by Paige (new)

Paige Brydson (paigebrydson) | 103 comments Currently, about 1/3 of the way through My Booky Wook by Russell Brand and I definitely have mixed feelings. I LOVE Russell Brand and there are definitely full chapters in this book that have me laughing out loud but there are also just so many references that are then explained through footnotes that it does disrupt the flow of the book occasionally and I feel that you lose a little bit of the humor when that happens.

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 47 comments My third Cover Challenge book will be: Mississippi Writings by Mark Twain Mississippi Writings. Famous Person on cover: Mark Twain.

I'm reading this mainly for Life on the Mississipi, so I don't know if I'll read the other novels in this collection.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 194 comments Just finished Daughters of Rome by Kate Quinn which had an image of Rome burning on the cover. I loved every minute of this novel. I had read Mistress of Rome a few years ago and had this one on my shelf for some time so I am glad that I finally got back to this time period. I liked it so much I went and ordered the next two. Here is my review: thoughts on this book

message 33: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 20, 2017 11:49AM) (new)

Jennifer | 1059 comments I read A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi for this challenge, with some crisp Pino Grigio in honor of all my BT wine-loving friends! This was an enjoyable escape at 3 solid stars. Recommended (with reservations) for those who might be in the mood for this sort of thing. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 34: by Michaelene (last edited Jul 24, 2017 06:58AM) (new)

Michaelene (bookwormmike) I've finished Free to Be Ruth Bader Ginsburg The Story of Women and Law by Teri Kanefield. It's a well-written biography of a remarkable woman. There is enough legal background to provide context but not so much that the general reader would get bogged down. I never knew that Justice Ginsburg was influential in so many equal rights cases long before she even became a judge.

message 35: by Paige (new)

Paige Brydson (paigebrydson) | 103 comments Finished My Booky Wook by Russell Brand and definitely didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped ): Disappointing since I really like Russell Brand.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori (LorisBookLoft) | 55 comments Leading Lady; Sherry Lansing and the Making of a Hollywood Groundbreaker by Stephen Galloway Reading about the first female head of a major motion picture studio.

message 37: by ☕Laura (new)

☕Laura | 10957 comments I finished Duel with the Devil The True Story of How Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr Teamed Up to Take on America's First Sensational Murder Mystery by Paul Collins. The story of the crime and trial were interesting, but the fact that the defense lawyers were Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton was really kind of secondary and didn't have a lot of bearing on the story. A worthwhile read though overall.

message 38: by JanEyre9 (new)

JanEyre9 | 96 comments I finished Columbine by Dave Cullen - I was amazed that so much that I thought I knew to be fact was actually rumor. This was difficult to read at time and I had a few nightmares while reading it but it's very well written, informative, dynamic read.

message 39: by Debra (new)

Debra  | 301 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "I finished Columbine by Dave Cullen - I was amazed that so much that I thought I knew to be fact was actually rumor. This was difficult to read at time and I had a few nightmares while reading..."

Thanks for the info on Columbine. I look forward to reading it.

message 40: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 4700 comments I think he is rather famous now. A Long Way Home A Memoir by Saroo Brierley. The story of Saroo Brierly

message 41: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 4700 comments Also read Easter Island by Jennifer Vanderbes. 4 stars.

message 42: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4281 comments I finished Lean In Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg for this one.

message 43: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 1126 comments I finished Conversations with Ron Rash for this one. 4 stars

message 44: by Pallavi Sharma (new)

Pallavi Sharma (bookfetisher) | 388 comments I finished Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler... For the famous (:P ) flowers Peonies .
And 3.5 stars.
Very light read even though it's a shakespeare retelling.

message 45: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gibbons | 224 comments Hi, this is Al Franken's book: Al Franken, Giant of the Senate by Al Franken
Very funny and enjoyable. BTW, when are we going to get the challenge for August?

message 46: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Jennifer, Deb puts up the monthly selections. She has already posted the members Choice for August - The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, but has not yet posted the author or the off the shelf selections. I am sure she will get to it this weekend.

message 47: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie bookfetisher wrote: "I finished Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler... For the famous (:P ) flowers Peonies .
And 3.5 stars.
Very light read even though it's a shakespeare retelling."

I read this one too and also gave it a 3. I liked the premise more than the actual novel really.

message 48: by Pallavi Sharma (new)

Pallavi Sharma (bookfetisher) | 388 comments Bonnie wrote: "bookfetisher wrote: "I finished Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler... For the famous (:P ) flowers Peonies .
And 3.5 stars.
Very light read even though it's a shakespeare retelling."

I read this on..."

It was a fun read... I had not expected it to be this light read... And though there was nothing much in the story it was an enjoyable read :) nice to know bonnie;)

message 49: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 9386 comments Jennifer wrote: "Hi, this is Al Franken's book: Al Franken, Giant of the Senate by Al Franken
Very funny and enjoyable. BTW, when are we going to get the challenge for August?"

Wasn't it just so good, Jennifer? I want him for Pres!

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gibbons | 224 comments ☮Karen wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Hi, this is Al Franken's book: Al Franken, Giant of the Senate by Al Franken
Very funny and enjoyable. BTW, when are we going to get the challenge for August?"

Wasn't it ju..."

Me too. However with his drug history I doubt it will happen, which is a shame, I also admire his wife Franni.

« previous 1