Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Paula S's Summer road trip

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (last edited Aug 28, 2017 06:12AM) (new)

Paula S (Paula_S) | 244 comments Paula's Road Trip

Starting state: Massachusetts
Current states visited: 3
Current points: 3

States
Massachusetts: Little Women
Vermont: Den hemliga historien
New York: The House of Mirth

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula S (Paula_S) | 244 comments I'm going to start in Massachusetts with Little Women.

message 3: by Jen (last edited Jul 02, 2017 05:50PM) (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Paula wrote: "I'm going to start in Massachusetts with Little Women."

My home state. I feel guilty not starting with Massachusetts but Georgia was calling my name. I've visited Alcott's house a few times.

message 4: by Paula (last edited Jul 12, 2017 03:24PM) (new)

Paula S (Paula_S) | 244 comments Little Women by Louise May Alcott

Little women is a comfort read for me - bringing me back to my childhood and teens trying to emulate the good qualities modeled by the Little women. Even now I feel myself wanting to do better, and be more patient and kind, from their example. I can't give this book a proper rating; it gets 5 nostalgia stars from me, deserved or not.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula S (Paula_S) | 244 comments My next destination is Vermont, where I will investigate The Secret History.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Paula wrote: "My next destination is Vermont, where I will investigate The Secret History."

Well this one is the opposite of a comfort read :)

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Actually, I was wrong. You have already finished Little Women so you are no longer in Massachusetts. You may continue with no delay.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Hi,
Unfortunately you are joining me in a travel delay this week. SO you may finish your current book but then you can't start your next one until the following monday, July 31

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula S (Paula_S) | 244 comments Jen wrote: "Hi,
Unfortunately you are joining me in a travel delay this week. SO you may finish your current book but then you can't start your next one until the following monday, July 31"

Gives me more time to finish the book :) I'm sorry you've been delayed twice.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Paula wrote: "Jen wrote: "Hi,
Unfortunately you are joining me in a travel delay this week. SO you may finish your current book but then you can't start your next one until the following monday, July 31"

Gives..."

Thanks :). The randomizer is conspiring against me despite the fact that I'm moving at turtle pace.

message 11: by Paula (last edited Jul 31, 2017 01:43AM) (new)

Paula S (Paula_S) | 244 comments The Secret History 4 stars
I have heard so many times how amazing this book is, that I have become a bit reluctant to read it. I shouldn't have worried. While this book wasn't a 5 star read for me, I did really enjoy the writing and how the story unfolded. I wouldn't include it in my personal list of 1001 must-read books, but I'm happy I read it.

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula S (Paula_S) | 244 comments Now that I can continue my trip I am heading to New York to visit The house of Mirth.

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula S (Paula_S) | 244 comments Finished The house of Mirth, and I have seldom read something so unrelentingly tragic. 4 stars for making me cry.

Lily Bart was brought up to be purely ornamental, but with a fortune too small to sustain here lifestyle, she is forced to plan and scheme in order make a rich marriage. Unfortunately she has scruples and standards that gets in the way, and with each misstep she comes further and further from her goal.

Unless there is any delay for me in today's update I intend to continue into Pennsylvania and familiarise myself with American Rust.

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Can you update your total points so I can update the scoreboard? Thanks!

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula S (Paula_S) | 244 comments total points updated above.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1876 comments Mod
Paula wrote: "total points updated above."

thanks!