Brain Pain discussion

Ulysses
This topic is about Ulysses
Ulysses 2017 > Discussion Eight - Lestrygonians

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim | 3032 comments Mod
Episode 8, Lestrygonians – pp 190 – 234 new (page 140 old)

Scene: The Lunch
Hour: 1 pm
Organ: Oesophagus
Art: Architecture
Symbol: Constables
Technic: Peristaltic

Mr. Bloom walks the streets in search of lunch. Everywhere he looks he sees his favorite things – meat and women – but somehow he’s repulsed by what he sees of his fellow Dubliners chomping down their greasy victuals. Just below the surface of his reveries, he is agitated about Molly’s impending nooner with Blazes Boylan – who Bloom almost encounters at the end of the episode, narrowly escaping into the gate of the museum.

Mark André Probably the most Bloom-centric of all the opening chapters: a number of different scenes with lots of Bloom-speak in between.
Bloom's mental response to the phenomenal world around him leads him to make comments and give his opinion on many subjects. Some thoughts lead to memories and nostalgia; and some thoughts remind him of his present problems.
Some good lines.

"Lot of thanks I get. Not even a caw." (153)

"Mackerel they called me." (162)

"...what's parallax?" (167)

"Could never like it again after Rudy. (168)

"Who's getting it up?" (172)

"...imagine it drinking electricity..." ((176)

message 3: by Tracy (last edited Jul 04, 2017 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tracy Reilly (TracyReilly) | 158 comments well, page 159, I feel like I need to bring up Tennyson's "Ulysses" again:
the line after noting "they' are at lunch: "-- clerk with the glasses doesn't know me. O, leave them there to simmer. Enough bother wading through 44 of them."

In Tennyson's "Ulysses" the narrative takes place after Ul. has already come back home. He is bored. He doesn't fancy his own people, finds them unadventurous. He says something to the effect that they "Hoard,and sleep, and feed, and know not me. I cannot rest from travel..."

This seems to me that it is in direct counterpoint to the pov in Aeolus--we think Bloom is being snubbed by the Dublin intelligentsia, but he has avoided them anyway--they do not interest him with their windy, empty talk of former greats. No ideas of their own.

How long will Stephen tolerate them?

Mark André Bloom originally met Martha Clifford because she had responded to his advertisement: "Wanted smart lady typist to aid gentleman in literary work." He ran the ad in the Irish Times. So when he walks by the Times offices he muses about the other 44 replies he never got involved with (yet).
Bloom always gets "snubbed". It's a big part of the story. But in each situation Bloom falls into the individual men around him all have sightly different reasons, it seems, for ignoring or being rude to Bloom. I think as the story proceeds that it may become evident to the reader that it is not just Bloom's (supposed) religion, nor his perceived (racially characteristic) physiognomy that puts others off. I think the problem is much more diversified: Bloom is a very light drinker, and is known as one who doesn't ever stand a round of drinks.
Stephen offers to buy drinks and off they go and Stephen gets to tell his story, uninterrupted.