Biography, Autobiography, Memoir discussion

Memoirs about pets

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 708 comments Fishface requested a new topic.
Am going to start this one, my next to read memoir is A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (JulieLill) | 589 comments I enjoy books on animals. Marley and Me is good as is Dewey the Library Cat: A True Story by Vicki Myron and Bret Witter, Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper and one of my all time favorite books Wesley, the Owl by Stacey O'Brien.

message 3: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 708 comments ! I've read all of them except Wesley the Owl...haven't read one about an owl before...!

message 4: by Julie (last edited Jul 02, 2017 03:14PM) (new)

Julie (JulieLill) | 589 comments Selina wrote: "! I've read all of them except Wesley the Owl...haven't read one about an owl before...!"
Here are some more animal books I enjoyed-
Seabiscuit-An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand
The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland Amory
The Gerbil Farmer's Daughter by Holly Robinson
Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love by Larry Levin
The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father by Jim Wight - One of my all time favorite books!
Rin Tin Tin-The Life and Legend by Susan Orlean - I loved this one too!
Lost Cat-A True Story of Love, Desperation and GPS Technology by Caroline Paul. This one was just okay but kinda of interesting.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (JulieLill) | 589 comments Selina wrote: "! I've read all of them except Wesley the Owl...haven't read one about an owl before...!"

I loved that book!

message 6: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 833 comments This is sort of related. Has anyone but me read any Gerald Durrell? He was a zoo collector (later ran his own zoo) and had a zillion great animal stories, like a zoo version of All Creatures Great and Small. A few titles:

My Family and Other Animals
A Zoo in My Luggage
The Drunken Forest
Overloaded Ark
The Whispering Land

Some of the animals did move into his place on a temporary or permanent basis and he got to know them on a pet level -- like Cholmondoley the Chimp and Eggbert the baby emu.

message 7: by Koren (new)

Koren  (Koren56) | 1132 comments Mod
Fishface wrote: "This is sort of related. Has anyone but me read any Gerald Durrell? He was a zoo collector (later ran his own zoo) and had a zillion great animal stories, like a zoo version of [book:All Creatures ..."

Never heard of him.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie (JulieLill) | 589 comments Koren wrote: "Fishface wrote: "This is sort of related. Has anyone but me read any Gerald Durrell? He was a zoo collector (later ran his own zoo) and had a zillion great animal stories, like a zoo version of [bo..."

Fishface wrote: "This is sort of related. Has anyone but me read any Gerald Durrell? He was a zoo collector (later ran his own zoo) and had a zillion great animal stories, like a zoo version of [book:All Creatures ..."

Never heard of him either but will take a look at his books.

message 9: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 833 comments They're quite wonderful.

message 10: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 708 comments I haven't come across him either. Is a zoo collector someone who collects animals or zoos?

message 11: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 833 comments Selina wrote: "I haven't come across him either. Is a zoo collector someone who collects animals or zoos?"

He collected animals for other people's zoos for years, then started his own zoo (the Jersey Trust).