2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Monthly Reading Plans > Veronica's July 2017 Reading Plan

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica (last edited Jul 31, 2017 12:52PM) (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments I never got around to making a plan last month. Family vacation is this month so not sure how much reading I'll be doing so I'm going to low ball it.

Carry Over From June
Kings of the Wyld - 1st in series; D&J BoTM ★★★★★

Science Fiction/Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
The Holver Alley Crew - 1st in series ★★
Behind the Throne - 1st in series ★★

Contemporary Mystery - MAYBE
The Late Show - 1st in series ★★★★

Historical Mystery/Fiction- MAYBE
The Third Nero -5th in series ★★★

Mood Reads
Fated - 1st in series (reread) ★★★
Cursed - 2nd in series ★★★
Taken - 3rd in series ★★★
The Royal Wulff Murders - 1st in series ★★★
The Gray Ghost Murders - 2nd in series ★★★
Dead Man's Fancy - 3rd in series ★★★
The Hunting Wind - 3rd in series ★★★
Past Crimes -1st in series ★★★★
Age of Swords - 2nd in series ★★★

Carry Over to August
The Drawing of the Three --------->

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela | 666 comments Great list Veronica. I don't stalk your reading list. Promise. I'm reading Kings of Wyld and Behind the Throne in August for Buddy Reads. Really hope you enjoy both!

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments I might have to join that buddy reads group. You all get through some great books in there.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 887 comments I'm all for buddy reads. Sometimes that's the only way to get to read books. And also a great way to find new authors. Enjoy your vacation and family and a hope you get some reading in.

message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments Thanks Michelle. :-)

message 6: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 634 comments Enjoy your reading!
I'm also reading Kings of the Wyld this month, I joined D&J last month :)

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments Lieke wrote: "Enjoy your reading!
I'm also reading Kings of the Wyld this month, I joined D&J last month :)"

Yay, Lieke! I'll look for you there. :-)

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 7277 comments Mod
Wonderful list! Hope you get to Connelly's book. I'm waiting for the audio version.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela | 666 comments Veronica wrote: "I might have to join that buddy reads group. You all get through some great books in there."

It's a great group! Though the struggle is very real that each month you do have to turn down some great buddy reads to join. Luckily the books do come around fairly often anyway when a second read for a book comes up. It's really helped me to progress through a few series.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 2615 comments Good luck with your list, Veronica!

Buddy Read groups are fantastic ways to continue with series and there is always something for everyone.

message 11: by Meera (new)

Meera | 126 comments I think I'll have to join this Buddy Reads group! I am also in D&J and I decided to read Annihilation this month since I already own it but I'm curious about Kings of the Wyld. Good list!

message 12: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments Jonetta wrote: "Wonderful list! Hope you get to Connelly's book. I'm waiting for the audio version."

Thanks, Jonetta. I'm thinking I might take that one on vacation with me. We leave this Thursday and, IIRC, release day is tomorrow.

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments Angela wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I might have to join that buddy reads group. You all get through some great books in there."

It's a great group! Though the struggle is very real that each month you do have to tu..."

It seems to be. Angela. You just might see me there once I get back from vacation. :-)

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments Meera wrote: "I think I'll have to join this Buddy Reads group! I am also in D&J and I decided to read Annihilation this month since I already own it but I'm curious about [book:Kings of the Wyld..."

Annihilation is a short book? I'm surprised the ebook costs so much. I can get it from the library but I honestly don't know if I'll have time to get to it. I'm the opposite of you in that I already own Kings of the Wyld. Finished that one last night and it was a lot of fun.

message 15: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments I finished Kings of the Wyld and it was a solid 4.5 stars but I went ahead and rounded up to five stars. I laughed quite a few times reading it and teared up a couple of times so I figured it was worth the full five. My short review is here.

message 16: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 361 comments Enjoy your month, Veronica!

message 17: by Anita (new)

Anita (AnitaNoDiva) | 816 comments Good books make for a great month.

message 18: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Trakka) | 1361 comments Have a great month and vacation!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1081 comments Have a great vacation!

message 20: by Meera (new)

Meera | 126 comments Veronica wrote: "I finished Kings of the Wyld and it was a solid 4.5 stars but I went ahead and rounded up to five stars. I laughed quite a few times reading it and teared up a couple of times so I ..."

With that kind of recommendation, I might have to read that one instead of Annihilation. !

message 21: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments Thanks, Laura and Tracey.

It was a fun book, Meera, not to be taken too seriously at all. It's a road trip book but like National Lampoon's Vacation type of road trip.

message 22: by Amie (new)

Amie (Alm0824) | 251 comments I hope you enjoy your month, Veronica, and have a good vacation!

message 23: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments Thanks, Amie. We're back now but we had a great time. It'll be hard to go back to work.

message 24: by Veronica (last edited Jul 12, 2017 08:32PM) (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments I finished The Royal Wulff Murders- three stars.

Also the first three books in the Alex Verus UF series - Fated, Cursed,
Taken - three stars each. The characters really need more fleshing out which, three books in, should really have already happened.

And Behind the Throne which was a disappointing two stars.

message 25: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments I finished the next two books in the Sean Stranahan mystery series, The Gray Ghost Murders and Dead Man's Fancy. Three stars each. I wish the author would put a little more effort into the relationship between Sean and Martha.

Also finished the third book in the Alex McKnight series, The Hunting Wind, also three stars.

I haven't been in much of a review writing mood lately, I'm afraid.

message 26: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments Finished The Third Nero and liked it. However, some of the history got confusing so that sort of impacted by overall enjoyment. Still enjoy Albia and look forward to the next book. Here's my review.

message 27: by Angela (new)

Angela | 666 comments You have been busy reading Veronica. Looking forward to Kings of Wyld and very encouraged it's going to be a good read with you rating it so highly.

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments Angela wrote: "You have been busy reading Veronica. Looking forward to Kings of Wyld and very encouraged it's going to be a good read with you rating it so highly."

I had fun with it, Angela. The author lists his playlist on his website so it's cool to imagine the songs playing along in accompaniment to the chapters.

message 29: by Veronica (last edited Jul 24, 2017 09:56AM) (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments Finally finished reading The Holver Alley Crew. It took me ten days total because I set the book aside for most of them and started and finished 10 other books. It was okay but the characters and plot felt superficial so I never got invested...or even too curious about how things would play out. ★★

Also finished The Late Show and quite enjoyed it. Renee Ballard is a competent and likable protagonist but I would like to delve more into her off-work life in future books. Four stars and my review. ★★★★

message 30: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments Finished Past Crimes, which I bought by mistake but ended up liking it enough that I plan to read the second book (only two out so far). Four stars and my review.

message 31: by Veronica (last edited Jul 30, 2017 03:11PM) (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments Finished Age of Swords though I didn't like it quite as much as the first book. It didn't feel like a lot really happend in this book and what DID happen felt a bit too unbelievable, even for fantasy. I gave it three stars and my short review is here.

message 32: by Angela (last edited Jul 30, 2017 03:08PM) (new)

Angela | 666 comments Is it a trilogy Veronica? I've had the first book on my TBR for a little while.

message 33: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) | 1388 comments I believe the author has planned for six books but the remaining four books will be released at a pace that's faster than one book a year.

message 34: by Angela (new)

Angela | 666 comments Veronica wrote: "I believe the author has planned for six books but the remaining four books will be released at a pace that's faster than one book a year."

Thanks Veronica. Six books. I might hold off reading this series for a while then until there are more books released.