SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

TV and Movie Chat > Dragonslayer

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven Nedeau | 5 comments This movie never got the credit it deserves. Have you seen it?

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 3266 comments Several times. Twice in the theatre upon release, and maybe a solid dozen times since. I love how it subverts expectations of the genre by inverting the tropes.

Also, "Vermithrax Pejorative" is quite possibly the greatest name in the history of names; definitely the best dragon name.

It was the first use of the "Go Motion" technology, which uses computer-controlled armatures to move the miniature puppets while a single frame is being taken, in order to simulate the blurring effect that happens when a real creature (or person, car, etc.) is filmed. They coined the term "Go Motion" to distinguish it from traditional Harryhausen-style stop motion effects. For a first use, it works remarkably well.

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 3266 comments Here's a clip of an absurdly young Peter MacNicoll battling Vermithrax.. For anyone who hasn't seem the movie this probably has spoilers, but it's an excellent showcase of the Go Motion, as well as the mostly-seamless integration of miniatures and full-size puppets and blending of special effects like the fire added in post.

Whenever the dragon is shown in full, that's the miniature. Really good stuff, especially for 1980.

I think MacNicoll's reaction to her size at the 2:25 mark is perfect. No dialogue needed. He's a really underrated actor.

https://youtu.be/TJRaLnLDMWg

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven Nedeau | 5 comments I pull this movie out a couple of times a year. The rest of my family leaves the room whenever I put it on but I don't care. I love it.

There is no real villain in this movie.