Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > YA/NA fantasy, sci-fi, fantasy, etc.

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anastacia (new)

Anastacia (anastaciaknits) | 1 comments Hi there! I run a review blog, http://www.ramblingreviews.com and I do beta reading as well.

I tend to be blunt with feedback, so please keep that in mind.

I read a wide variety of genres, but prefer YA fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal- a little romance is Ok, but shouldn't be the focus. I also read a lot of end of the world/cheesy disaster, zombies are eating my brains type of book, and love European historical fiction and dystopian.

I prefer to beta in word, so I can comment as I go.

Email anastaciaknits@gmail.com with info about your book, your expectations, what I should look for, and first three pages.

message 2: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Atazadeh (BethanyAtazadeh) | 33 comments Hi Anastacia :)

Would love to have you consider beta reading my novel, it's about 80,000 words at the moment, and my hope is to start sending a few short chapters to my beta readers once a week starting August 1st, for approximately six weeks.

The first two chapters are here on google docs if you're open to considering it:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19...

Message me if you're interested, and thanks for considering! :)

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Armstrong | 58 comments Hi Anastacia

I have a YA Dystopian novel complete at 96,000 words. It has already been beta read and edited. Below is the blurb. If you're interested I would love to hear from you! :)

A century after the Vermune virus devastated Earth’s population, all that remains of North America is a society segregated into two precincts: the Northerners who produce the Antidote, and the Southerners who are enslaved by it.

After the virus kills someone close to her, sixteen-year-old Mia begins questioning her life in the South. Desperate for answers, she joins The Movement, a group of rebels determined to end the North’s tyranny.

Mia must take action if she wants to save those closest to her, but doing so means relying on someone her heart and mind are at odds over. Someone her upbringing has taught her to hate.

message 4: by Niki (new)

Niki Patel (nikipatel) | 25 comments Hi Anastacia

I send you a request through your email. Please reply via email if you are interested.

Thanks,
Niki

message 5: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Ritter | 3 comments Hi Anastacia,

I have sent you an email and look forward to hearing from you :)

Phoebe

message 6: by Priya (new)

Priya Sridhar | 16 comments Hi Anastacia:
Would you consider reading a series of short fiction? I mainly do short stories.

message 7: by Jay (last edited Aug 15, 2017 06:45PM) (new)

Jay Storey (jayallanstorey) | 63 comments Hi, Anastacia,

I'd like some feedback on my 80k YA/Scifi novel, called VITA AETURNA.

Here's a short synopsis:

Sometime around their fifteenth birthday, every kid in Henry Newman’s world of the future undergoes a medical procedure called ‘Appraisal’, which is meant to significantly increase life-expectancy. But the results of Appraisal are unpredictable, and in rare cases it can actually shorten life.

On the day of his treatment, Henry expects one of only three possible outcomes:

1) He’ll be given the advantage of a pleasantly extended lifespan.
2) The life extension will be minor. Nothing much will happen.
3) He’ll ‘Neg out’. That is, his life will be shortened, like what happened to his old man.

So how is it possible that Henry’s result turns out to be ‘none of the above’?

Thanks.

Jay Allan Storey

message 8: by Troy (new)

Troy Neenan | 24 comments My name is Troy Neenan and I would like you to evaluate my novel Game Night.
The novel is 70,000 words long and is science fiction fantasy.
The book takes place within another book series universe I made but I want to make this a stand alone novel.

The book is about several characters and how a futuristic company and a elvan government use and manipulate people for their own ends for profit and interests.

The books starts with Sorie, a wood elf getting drunk and sleeping with somebody from our world. The subject quickly snow balls out of control as organisations want to use this incident for their own agendas while Sorie just wants to forget about it entirely.

The main problem is that I am too close to this book and need an outside opinion. Was this book enjoyable? Was it interesting? Are the grammar problems a deal breaker. Are the characters too young, too old, is it believable are the characters memorable and how much would you buy this book if I put it up on Kindle?

Would you be interested?

message 9: by B.P. (new)

B.P. Baggett (BPBaggett) | 105 comments hello would you be interested in reading my fantasy novel.

The legends of Aeolyne is a story of a family that is separated by war. The first and only child, Drecue grows up without a father. Raised by his grandfather. There he learns how to act, and talk like royalty. He witnesses a kidnapping of his betrothed and us drawn into an age old conflict. To protect his grandfather’s honor he races after the kidnappers.
And there is an assassin that was ripped from his mother’s arms as a boy and turned into the Red Horde factions hidden blade. He escapes and finds his mother but she didn’t tragically taken from him.
The main Antagonist is an elf that has learned to morph into a Dragon. This Dragon has caused wars and destruction on the world in search of an item that can bring his love back to life.

message 10: by B.P. (new)

B.P. Baggett (BPBaggett) | 105 comments I have since videos on YouTube showing my Fantasy world.

The World of Aeolyne: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=...

message 11: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Kozinski | 9 comments Hey, I sent an email. Hopefully I included all the information you need to make a decision.

message 12: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 98 comments Hi Anastacia (and everyone else),

I'm currently looking for beta readers for my unfinished manuscript. It's around 90k words (although I hope to chop that down) and is a dystopian sci-fi story. Here's a placeholder blurb:

"The world has reached new levels of mass overpopulation, and as the number of people continues to grow, the food supplies reach a critical low. When a corporation offers a solution to the epidemic, the world turns a blind eye to what it is they're really consuming, posing the question; what lengths will humanity go to to survive?"

It sounds very Solent Greenish, but I think (or hope) I have an original story. Anyhow, if someone reading this happens to be interested, I'm not looking for a line or copy editor at this point. Right now I want to focus on getting a broader view and get the skeleton of the script solid with regards to character, plot, and pacing.

I'm also more than willing to beta swap or become someone's critique partner. Genres I enjoy are:

Children's
Crime
Fantasy
Horror
Mystery
Science Fiction
Thriller
Young adult

I'm not too keen on romance or erotica, so I don't feel like I could give an accurate critique if that's your genre.

Private message me if you're interested.

I hope to hear from one of you soon.

All the best,

Kirk.
delete

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (Kivrin) | 67 comments Anastacia - are you still looking for scripts to read?

I've been working on this first book in a series for two years and it has been beta read, revised, and edited several times. I need a (hopefully final) read through to ensure that all the elements are falling into place.

I’ve always loved fantasy novels in both teen and adult genre. One thing that frustrated me was constantly reading about heroes and heroines who were, frankly, perfect: drop-dead gorgeous and masters at whatever they do. I am tired of reading about love-at-first sight or the dreaded love triangle.

Though fantasy, I wanted to read about characters who were more realistic, like a man with a crooked nose who could fight but wallows in unseen guilt, or a plain looking woman who is decent with a bow and throwing knives but is terrible at swordplay, or a thief who may have a “heart of gold” but doesn’t stir himself to try for something better, or a scholar who is vastly intelligent but too strict in his beliefs to let them bend for the greater good.

I wanted something like that, so I just started writing my own and I love the result. I just need to ensure an audience would love it too.

I believe my strengths are characterization, world-building, dialogue (much of it humorous), action sequences, and description (show don't tell!). What I need work on is the habit of sometimes over-describing. I’ve created an extensive world and government and am at times unsure if I am unnecessarily repeating information or not giving the right information at the right time, and am trying to avoid the dreaded infodump.

The Broken Veil is Third person POV with primarily 3 POVs. There are minimal sex scenes which are slightly more sensual than a Young Adult but much less than a romance novel. There is a moderate level of violence in battle sequences and no triggers that I can think of.

Synopsis:
Rowan of the Sindari clan has been wandering for the last six years, his feats against man and beast earning him a reputation at home and abroad for his fighting prowess and bravery.

His closest friends know better, for Rowan’s acts are a reckless disregard of his own life, born from the guilt and grief of a loved one’s death. After years of wandering, Rowan reluctantly returns home to find that the throne of his realm has been reopened after being locked behind a magical barrier for the last seventy years.

As an Elite Sindari warrior and therefore possible claimant to the throne, Rowan’s father entreats him to journey to the capital city and take the Trials for the chance to be elected king. Weary of his aimless wandering, Rowan sees the election as a way to redeem himself from his failure to save his sister. He readily vows to his father that he will do whatever it takes to pass the Trials and earn the crown.

Trying to hide the guilt and doubt from his men - old friends, new allies, and kin - Rowan begins the treacherous journey for the crown.

Brynd is a thief and he hates it. Stuck in a middling town and forced to do unsavory tasks for the magistrate, he can’t find a way to escape his burgeoning debt. Until a stranger arrives and offers him a chance at free himself - if he has the courage to cross the Deadvault again and lead the men through the mountain pass where he lost many of his friends to an ambush by the cursed creatures who dwell in the desert burrows and mountain caverns.

Kivrin is a young woman who fled her foster home and has spent two years in the West. Tired of traveling alone in fear and distrust, she yearns to return to the East and find her true family and heritage. But she barely survived her first crossing of the mountains and has no desire to attempt it again on her own. When she discovers a group of warrior men crossing the desert wasteland to reach the mountain pass, she swallows her fear and attaches herself to the company in disguise.

When Kivrin loses her disguise in a skirmish, the Captain of the company is furious at her duplicity. Kivrin knows she must find a way to earn his trust back when he is convinced by others to let her remain with the group. If she doesn’t, she may find herself abandoned to the mercy of the very beings she’s been running from.

The Broken Veil is set in a fantasy world based loosely in 17th century Europe, on a continent divided into clans based on ability where having Elite status means greater power and opportunity.

The novel is currently 205,000 words, and I’ve been debating on whether or not I should split it in two. I’d be thrilled to get a beta read of the first half (which is parts 1 and 2), and clocks in at about 120,000 words.

I’m happy to give you a sampling of my writing to see if it peaks your interest. You can also find the story partially uploaded to Wattpad at https://www.wattpad.com/story/71838801

Cheers and thanks!

Karen

message 14: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Prince (mjprince) | 7 comments Hi, I've sent you an email. Thanks!