Victorians! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations Archives > Nominations for September 2017

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Renee M | 1384 comments Mod
Hello, dear Vics!

Please post your nominations here. One nomination per person and per author. Nomination thread will be up for one week or when we reach eight nominations. If possible, please include the link to the book you've nominated.

Eligible nominations should be written and published in Great Britain between 1837 and 1901.

message 2: by Renee, Moderator (new)

For this round of nominations, please exclude Anthony Trollope novels that fall into the Barsetshire or Palliser series. There are being covered elsewhere at this time and there are many other wonderful Trollope novels from which to choose.

Also: Consider the "chunkster." We're doing two shorter works this summer, so something of 400+ pages would be welcome. Novels of less than 400 pages will NOT be excluded. I'm just making a suggestion.

message 3: by Renee, Moderator (last edited Jun 29, 2017 12:17PM) (new)

I know it has been awhile since last we did this process. Thank you for your patience. Your Mod Team has been through a rough year.

Jen from Quebec :0) (MuppetBaby99) | 6 comments Would the classic H. G. Wells' "The Island of Doctor Moreau" from 1896 be eligible? --Jen from Quebec :0)

The Island of Dr. Moreau

message 5: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Yep. HG Wells is listed by the Victorian Web so we're good.

message 6: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (omegaxx) I'm sorry to have missed The Moonstone read. How about his other masterpiece, The Woman in White ?

message 7: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2552 comments I'll nominate a mostly unknown work, but worthy of recent publication by both Penguin Classics and Oxford World Classics, described by one website as "Largely overshadowed by the great 19th century novels of adultery (See: Madame Bovary, Anna Karenina), Effi Briest has nevertheless survived in large part because of the praise of Thomas Mann and Samuel Beckett. Similar to Bovary for its subtle social critiques of rural life and marriage, Fontane’s tragicomic tale remains notorious for its ability to make the most erudite of readers weep uncontrollably."

Ready for a good cry?
Effi Briest
Effi Briest by Theodor Fontane

message 8: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Everyman wrote: "I'll nominate a mostly unknown work, but worthy of recent publication by both Penguin Classics and Oxford World Classics, described by one website as "Largely overshadowed by the great 19th century..."

Unfortunately, Theodor Fontan is a German novelist, so we won't be able to include Effie Briest in our poll. Would you care to nominate something else, Everyman?

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane Greensmith (JaneGS) | 137 comments I am reading Eliot end to end and Daniel Deronda is up next, so I nominate this novel.

message 10: by Renee, Moderator (new)

message 11: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2552 comments Renee wrote: "Everyman wrote: "I'll nominate a mostly unknown work, but worthy of recent publication by both Penguin Classics and Oxford World Classics, described by one website as "Largely overshadowed by the g..."

Sorry. Since we had previously read some non-British authors (Poe, Flaubert, Arnin, Dumas), I thought they were acceptable.

I'll think further.

message 12: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (CharlotteCPH) | 122 comments I would like to nominate The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

message 14: by Renee, Moderator (new)

I'd love to start the school year off with something lovely so I'm nominating Rachel Ray

message 15: by Lily (new)

Lily (Joy1) | 1277 comments I'll join the discussion if this happens to be selected:

Travels in West Africa by Mary Henrietta Kingsley

message 16: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Looks intriguing, Lily. Great suggestion!

message 17: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2552 comments Lily wrote: "I'll join the discussion if this happens to be selected:

Travels in West Africa by Mary Henrietta Kingsley"

It's a wonderful book. I've nominated it before, but so far without success.

message 18: by Frances (new)

Frances (FrancesAB) | 243 comments Although it's a bit of a chunkster, I'd like to nominate Nicholas Nickleby, assuming we could spread it over a couple of months at least.

message 19: by Cindy, Moderator (new)

Cindy Newton | 165 comments Mod
Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell?

message 20: by Renee, Moderator (new)

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy | 47 comments I'm going to nominate Middlemarch by Eliot

message 22: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Unfortunately, we read Middlemarch less than 3 years ago. Would you care to nominate something else, Judy?

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy | 47 comments Have you read Vanity Fair recently?

message 24: by Renee, Moderator (last edited Jul 01, 2017 02:59AM) (new)

I posted a list of books we've read in the last three years in the Nominations folder. It will remain there for reference for each nomination process. :)

Vanity Fair has not been read by this group in awhile, so it will be our final nomination.

Since we have 9 titles now, I am closing this thread. A poll will be posted shortly.

message 25: by Renee, Moderator (new)

The poll is closed. Our September Read will be The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.