Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Buddy Reads > Buddy Reads

Comments (showing 1-50 of 51) (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  | 764 comments Mod
If several of you want to read a particular book that is not part of the monthly read, please discuss here and let the moderators know when you want the discussion thread set up.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments ☯Emily wrote: "If several of you want to read a particular book that is not part of the monthly read, please discuss here and let the moderators know when you want the discussion thread set up."

Thank you, Emily!

message 3: by Lisa, The Original (new)

Lisa (LisaDannatt) | 290 comments Mod
Hi all
I've just finished Anne of Green Gables and would like to reread the rest of the series. Would anyone else be keen on reading Anne of Avonlea with me this month?

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments So far we have proposed buddy reads for

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim [Kathleen, are you still interested, and, if so what month? I'm thinking September, but I'm flexible.]

and
Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery

I'm also interested in a buddy read of The Invisible Mountain by Carolina De Robertis, if any one here wants to join me. It was published in 2009, so not a "classic" by our traditional discussion rules. It is a multi-generational womens saga written by a well-regarded female author and that tells the story of 19th and 20th Uruguay, a subject in which my knowledge is sorely lacking.

Anyone in for any of these three proposed buddy reads? Participants agree on the timing, so there's no pressure here.

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 91 comments I am still interested in The Enchanted April Carol. September works for me, but I'm flexible about the month too, if others are interested and want a different month.

I'm excited about reading this. Have wanted to read it for years, ever since I read and loved her quirky All the Dogs of My Life.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments Kathleen wrote: "I am still interested in The Enchanted April Carol. September works for me, but I'm flexible about the month too, if others are interested and want a different month.

I'm excited about..."

perfect! let's give it a week or so and see if there are additional takers.

Silly me -- I wasn't aware of her other books. I will look for the one you read.

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 91 comments Carol wrote: "Silly me -- I wasn't aware of her other books. I will look for the one you read."

Not silly at all! That book is probably the most unknown of her unknown books, but has a special place in my heart. May be hard to find, but if you do, I hope you like it!

message 8: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 360 comments Mod
I don't want to discourage buddy reads; but it is preferable that the books are classics that are written by female authors.

message 9: by Charlene (new)

I posted the thread for the Enchanted April buddy read today so you had a couple of weeks to figure out who is participating.

message 10: by Charlene (new)

Would anyone be interested in buddy reading Frankenstein with me?

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments I'm looking to read a (my first) Rebecca West novel in the next few months. I know myself well enough to know that I'd never stick with Black Lamb and Grey Falcon at 1181 pages, but I don't have an opinion on which other one to read. Perhaps The Fountain Overflows? or The Return of the Soldier? If anyone is in the mood to explore West, let me know. I don't schedule my readings and have no deadline here.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments Is anyone interested in a buddy read of The Wreath by Sigrid Undset, starting some time after the New Year?

message 13: by Charlene (new)

Carol wrote: "Is anyone interested in a buddy read of The Wreath by Sigrid Undset, starting some time after the New Year?"

I would be interested but probably can't read it until closer to February.

message 14: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

Wow! The last time I looked, this book was ahead in the poll.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments ☯Emily wrote: "Wow! The last time I looked, this book was ahead in the poll."

It was, and then it wasn't. :) The Brit team has been on a role for the last 4 polls.

message 16: by Carol ꧁꧂ (new)

Carol  ꧁꧂  | 219 comments If anyone is interested in a buddy read of Pride & Prejudice in December, please post here. :)

message 17: by Charlene (new)

Carol wrote: "☯Emily wrote: "Wow! The last time I looked, this book was ahead in the poll."

It was, and then it wasn't. :) The Brit team has been on a role for the last 4 polls."

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. I wonder if it is because British classics are easier to get access to and cheaper. I know that my public library is smaller so I most of the time purchase the books for this group.

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments Charlene wrote: "Carol wrote: "☯Emily wrote: "Wow! The last time I looked, this book was ahead in the poll."

It was, and then it wasn't. :) The Brit team has been on a role for the last 4 polls."

I didn't notice ..."

It might require wine to engage in that discussion :)

I'll stop with -- I don't think it's about access or cost.

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments Carol♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "If anyone is interested in a buddy read of Pride & Prejudice in December, please post here. :)"

I can't tackle anything demanding in December, but if you end up delayed for whatever reason, I'd join you in the new year.

message 20: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

Unfortunately, many classic books over 50 years old are written by British writers, both men and women. It is difficult to overcome. We have had months where we exclude English writers, but the next month goes back to British and then American writers. I nominated a book that won and was not written in English and NO ONE commented/read the book other than me.

However, access has also been a problem in reading some books from non-English speaking countries. Some readers have contacted me about the inability to find books that are not written by British or American writers.

message 21: by Carol ꧁꧂ (new)

Carol  ꧁꧂  | 219 comments Carol wrote: "Carol♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "If anyone is interested in a buddy read of Pride & Prejudice in December, please post here. :)"

I can't tackle anything demanding in December, but if you end up del..."

Well...I'll see. December is a quiet month for me.

@ Emily I do remember talk about relaxing the 50 years for woman in countries where it was hard to be published. I have a Maori woman writer in mind for next year - Patricia Grace she was the first Maori woman novelist published - in the 1980s. (there is another Maori woman who had short stories published earlier than her J.C. Sturm but would still be hard for most of you to get hold of. & would still be only about 35 years ago.

message 22: by ☯Emily , The First (last edited Nov 28, 2017 12:21PM) (new)

We do relax the year qualification for those type of books. There are some great books by African women that are about 30 years old, but they are still hard to access. I had to buy most of them. Many of us just can't buy the books if they aren't available in the library system. (I have a huge library borrowing system, but still hard sometimes.)

message 23: by Carol ꧁꧂ (new)

Carol  ꧁꧂  | 219 comments ☯Emily wrote: "We do relax the year qualification for those type of books. There are some great books by African women that are about 30 years old, but they are still hard to access. I had to buy most of them. Ma..."

& the Patricia Grace title I had in mind Potiki was published by Penguin, but is not on Kindle. Some of Grace's more recent books are - but I have just given Chappy away. I'm not fond of multiple POV or stories that jump back & forth in time. Still keen to try Grace's earlier works, but may suggest as a buddy read.

message 24: by Cam (new)

Cam | 43 comments Carol wrote: "Is anyone interested in a buddy read of The Wreath by Sigrid Undset, starting some time after the New Year?"

Yes please! I was really disappointed it didn't win as I was looking forward to reading it! I can do Jan or Feb as long as I've got enough advance warning... Annoyingly it doesn't seem available in any London bookshop or library so I'm going to have to order it on Amazon -_-.

message 25: by Cam (last edited Dec 01, 2017 10:35AM) (new)

Cam | 43 comments ☯Emily wrote: "Unfortunately, many classic books over 50 years old are written by British writers, both men and women. It is difficult to overcome. We have had months where we exclude English writers, but the nex..."

There's definitely an issue in the English-speaking world about publishing and reading in translation. I grew up in continental Europe and our literature curriculum at school included novels in translation (although almost exclusively by white writers). This hasn't been the case in the UK unfortunately. Which means that there's a huge backlog of books that have not been translated, and will probably never be because whatever tiny translation budget there is is focused on contemporary writing (which is good, but still....). Therefore many excellent African women writers who wrote in French have never been translated into English. I'm assuming it's the same for Portuguese, and for Spanish in the case of Latin America.

However, some of the translations of women authors from the 19th century and earlier are available for free on Project Gutenberg (Heidi, The Princess of Cleves and The Devil's Pool are definitely on there). While I also prefer to read a "real" book, it's great to be able to easily access those titles even why my libraries don't stock them.

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder  (CatsosPerson) | 314 comments Hi there!

I wanted to weigh in on Sigrid Undset.

Last year I read the whole saga of Kristin Lavransdatter (The Wreath is Book 1) as a buddy read in a GR classics group.

I originally checked out “The Wreath” in one volume from the library that is a very old-fashioned English translation by men (can’t recall his name). The Translation was horrible, so I ordered used via amazon the newer Tina Nunnally Translation Of KL (all three books in one volume). The TN Translation was so much clearer to understand.

The buddy read was a three month affair as the KL volume was a little over 1000 pages.

The whole story is very well worth reading. There is lots of period detail about life in Norway during that time period and the book follows the life of KL from early childhood to her death.

Consider a buddy read of KL in total and not just “The Wreath.” If you do, you won’t regret it.

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder  (CatsosPerson) | 314 comments The translator of the English language edition of The Wreath that I struggled to read was Charles Archer and J.S. Scott. I think it’s an old Translation, possibly the first.

Don’t buy it! It’s terrible!

message 28: by Cam (new)

Cam | 43 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Hi there!

Last year I read the whole saga of Kristin Lavransdatter (The Wreath is Book 1) as a buddy read in a GR classics group.

I originally checked out ..."

Thank you Andrea, that's really good to know! I nearly bought that version as the newer one is only available on hardback... Translations can make such a difference, I know it completely altered my understanding (and enjoyment) of some of the Russian classics.

message 29: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments Cam wrote: "Carol wrote: "Is anyone interested in a buddy read of The Wreath by Sigrid Undset, starting some time after the New Year?"

Yes please! I was really disappointed it didn'..."

Fantastic! I will have to buy it, too. Our library doesn’t own it, of course. Let’s shoot for a tentative Jan 15 start and confirm after we’ve got copies and see if anyone else wants to join in.

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Hi there!

I originally checked out ..."

Thanks for confirming what I have heard on other threads —that the Nunnally description is the way to go. I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed it.

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments Cam wrote: "Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Hi there!

Last year I read the whole saga of Kristin Lavransdatter (The Wreath is Book 1) as a ..."

I understand that I should go back and re-read Brothers Karamazov since I read one of the offending translations, but since I loved it so much even with that, I’m unlikely to mess with what worked:)

message 32: by Cam (new)

Cam | 43 comments Carol wrote: "Cam wrote: "Carol wrote: "Is anyone interested in a buddy read of The Wreath by Sigrid Undset, starting some time after the New Year?"

Yes please! I was really disappoin..."

Book ordered! I probably won't be able to start until the second week of Jan though...but I should have *some* thoughts for 15 Jan hopefully :p

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments @Cam, what if we push our start to 24Jan or 29Jan and take the pressure off? Thoughts?

message 34: by Mizzou (new)

Mizzou | 149 comments I would like to join in the reading of The Bridal Wreath, and the late January start would be better, since my family is dealing with health problems that began last Sunday, and won't be letting up for a few weeks. I looked at a copy of the book, and it was the Archer and Scott translation, and the first few pages showed me what Andrea was talking about. It does seem to be stilted English. I hope to locate a Tina Nunnally translation, without having to buy a book with all three parts of Kristin Lavransdatter in it.

message 35: by Cam (new)

Cam | 43 comments Very happy with a late January start for The Bridal Wreath.

@Mizzou best wishes to your family, I hope all is well again soon.

message 36: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments Cam wrote: "Very happy with a late January start for The Bridal Wreath.

@Mizzou best wishes to your family, I hope all is well again soon."

Good deal. Here's the link to our discuss thread.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 37: by Mizzou (new)

Mizzou | 149 comments Coupla-three footnotes re our upcoming buddy read: Just in case not everyone knows, the author, Sigrid Undset, was the 1928 Nobel Prize for Literature winner. Also, since we are going to have to buy the Nunnally translation of the trilogy entitled Kristin Lavransdatter, those of you who propose to do this buddy read will not have to read the entire book, but only 330 pages or so. Thirdly, the full title of Volume I is "The Bridal Wreath" (not that it makes any particular difference).

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments Is anyone interested in setting up a buddy read to tackle My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst?
My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst some time later this year? I'm thinking June/July and an agreed reading schedule would probably help.

She led the British Suffragette movement and this, her memoir, was first published in 1914. 4.13 average rating. 338 pages.

Lemme know.

message 39: by Cam (new)

Cam | 43 comments Carol wrote: "Is anyone interested in setting up a buddy read to tackle My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst?
My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst some time later this year? I'm think..."

I'd be up for that! For once it's a book that I can easily find in the library as well :p... and it would be a good companion to all the exhibitions and events this year.

message 40: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments Cam wrote: "Carol wrote: "Is anyone interested in setting up a buddy read to tackle My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst?
My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst some time later this y..."

Awesome. I'll need to purchase it and didn't want to do so without a plan to actually read it. I'm embarrassed at how little I know about the movement on either side of the pond, so looking forward to reducing my ignorance. Shall we tentatively plan on June 1 and we can adjust as we get closer if we want to either pull it forward or push it back?

message 41: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments ALERT: It's free on Kindle right now.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Own-Story-E...

message 42: by Cam (new)

Cam | 43 comments Carol wrote: "ALERT: It's free on Kindle right now.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Own-Story-E..."

Ooh excellent, thank you! For people who don't have a Kindle, it was typed up and uploaded by the amazing volunteers at Project Gutenberg and is available here https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/34856

message 43: by Cam (new)

Cam | 43 comments Carol wrote: "Cam wrote: "Carol wrote: "Is anyone interested in setting up a buddy read to tackle My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst?
My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst some time ..."

That works for me :).

message 44: by Charlene (new)

Is anyone interested in reading Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre?

I have it on my e-reader home page but it always seems to get bumped for something else off my list.

message 45: by Charlene (new)

My local library doesn't have May's book. So I will most likely not be able to participate in May's discussion. I am reaching the time of the year where I have to be financially aware so no book purchases (until the state passes a budget and I know I won't be furloughed).

Would anyone be interested in buddy reading either Jane Eyre, The Mill on the Floss, South Riding or Night and Day in May?

message 46: by Anastasia, The Only (new)

Anastasia (anyasatze) | 519 comments Mod
I would be interested in rereading Jane Eyre. Anyone else?

message 47: by Charlene (new)

Anastasia wrote: "I would be interested in rereading Jane Eyre. Anyone else?"

Let's set it up and see who wants to join. Thank you.

message 48: by Anastasia, The Only (new)

Anastasia (anyasatze) | 519 comments Mod
Charlene wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "I would be interested in rereading Jane Eyre. Anyone else?"

Let's set it up and see who wants to join. Thank you."

Sounds good!

message 49: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 352 comments Carol wrote: "Cam wrote: "Carol wrote: "Is anyone interested in setting up a buddy read to tackle My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst?
My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst some time ..."

Cam - are you still interested in reading Suffragette: My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst this summer or fall? if yes, can we push our start to mid-June or later this summer?

message 50: by Cam (new)

Cam | 43 comments Carol wrote: "Carol wrote: "Cam wrote: "Carol wrote: "Is anyone interested in setting up a buddy read to tackle My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst?
[bookcover:My Own Story|260857..."

Summer works better for me as well. Late June to finish by mid-July?

« previous 1