Into the Forest discussion

Previous Group Read Nominations > July 15-Sep 14 Group Read Book Nominations

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2105 comments Mod
Our winning theme this time around are books that have been nominated for the Mythopoeic Awards.

The list of possible books can be found on their website:
2017 Nominees: http://www.mythsoc.org/news/news-2017...
Fiction: http://www.mythsoc.org/awards/awards-...
Non-fiction: http://www.mythsoc.org/awards/awards-...

Note - Not all the books nominated for this award have fairy tale/folklore/mythology ties, but many do. Please try to nominate those with a fairy tale/folklore/mythology aspect to them.

message 2: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Groth (RobynGroth) | 105 comments Adult - Thomas the Rhymer

Are we nominating nonfiction in place of original tale? If so, I'll nominate Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness for that one.

message 4: by Melanti (new)

Hm. Well, I hadn't really considered how we'd handle the original tale ... Lila, Chris? Any objections to non-fiction?

message 5: by Lila (last edited Jul 01, 2017 11:49PM) (new)

Lila (Jalilah) | 3096 comments Mod
Melanti wrote: "Hm. Well, I hadn't really considered how we'd handle the original tale ... Lila, Chris? Any objections to non-fiction?"

Not at all!
I was thinking how are we supposed to choose original tales anyway?
Because we are nominating Mythopoetic award nominees and winners there are not going to be original tales.
So maybe just for this group read non-fiction can take the place of original tales?

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 1973 comments Mod
For those of us doing the 2017 challenge, it would be nice to have a group read for non-fiction. It's one of the categories! I haven't been doing a good job keeping up with it this year!

I'll go ahead and nominate.

Adult: Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin (so many I want to read here!)
YA: Shadowshaper by Daniel José Older
Non-Fiction: Gossip from the Forest by Sara Maitland. (So this book is listed as From the Forest, but the Goodreads listing says Gossip from the Forest. I own the book, and it's called From the Forest)

message 7: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Groth (RobynGroth) | 105 comments Margaret wrote: "Non-Fiction: Gossip from the Forest by Sara Maitland. (So this book is listed as From the Forest, but the Goodreads listing says Gossip from the Forest. I own the book, and it's called From the Forest) "

Looks like it's called Gossip from the Forest in the UK and From the Forest in the US.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Chapek | 143 comments Has this group ever read Fairy Tale in the Ancient World?

If not, I nominate that one as the non-fic substitute for original story.

message 9: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 58 comments There are so many books I want to read on these lists!

For adult, I'll nominate In the Night Garden (assuming it's okay to nominate the first book in a nominated/winning series), which I've read before and can recommend.

For YA, I'll nominate The Hollow Kingdom, which I bought a copy of recently, but haven't yet read.

I'll have to spend some more time looking into the non-fiction options before deciding if/what to nominate in that category.

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Robyn wrote: "Looks like it's called Gossip from the Forest in the UK and From the Forest in the US. "

Ah, that makes sense.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris | 1256 comments Mod
Lila wrote: "Melanti wrote: "Hm. Well, I hadn't really considered how we'd handle the original tale ... Lila, Chris? Any objections to non-fiction?"

Not at all!
I was thinking how are we supposed to choose in..."

I second that response.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Susan wrote: "Has this group ever read Fairy Tale in the Ancient World?

If not, I nominate that one as the non-fic substitute for original story."

We haven't. But it's an excellent choice.

message 13: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Groth (RobynGroth) | 105 comments Oh - I see you guys already read Thomas the Rhymer, so I'll withdraw that.

For YA, I'll nominate The Folk Keeper.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 168 comments So many good choices!

I'll nominate The Wood Wife for Adult.

YA/Childrens = The Boggart

and Nonfiction: The Enchanted Screen: The Unknown History of Fairy-Tale Films

message 16: by Lila (last edited Jul 03, 2017 10:02PM) (new)

Robyn wrote: "Oh - I see you guys already read Thomas the Rhymer, so I'll withdraw that.

For YA, I'll nominate The Folk Keeper."

Robyn wrote: "Adult - Thomas the Rhymer
Are we nominating nonfiction in place of original tale? If so, I'll nominate Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness ..."

Yes, here are the threads:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This was in 2012 and there are many new members. I am okay if it's nominated again, but I see that Chris and Melanti have read it already, so I think they should have the final say.

message 18: by Melanti (new)

Lila wrote: "I am okay if it's nominated again, but I see that Chris and Melanti have read it already, so I think they should have the final say. ..."

I don't mind. Probably won't vote for it in the polls but I liked it and wouldn't mind re-reading it.

There's lots of great nominations already...

For children's, I'll nominate The Seeing Stone by Kevin Crossley-Holland.

For adults, I'll nominate Fudoki by Kij Johnson. Technically #2, but I think it stands alone.

Still contemplating the nonfiction one.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Nominate Thomas, that is no problem.

message 20: by Lila (new)

The polls to vote for all the books we've nominated are up!
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/3...
Time to vote!

message 21: by Katy (new)

Katy (Kathy_H) | 717 comments Katy wrote: "My nominations:

Adult: Kingfisher by Patricia A. McKillip
YA/Children: When the Sea Turned to Silver by Grace Lin
Non-fiction: [book:Grim..."

Did you miss my nominations?

message 22: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Groth (RobynGroth) | 105 comments My non-fiction submission us missing too.

message 23: by Melanti (new)

Okay, I've added Katy and Robyn's nominations in.

I've went through the posts and everything else seems to be there, but please speak up if something doesn't look right!

message 24: by Katy (new)

Katy (Kathy_H) | 717 comments Thanks

message 25: by Melanti (new)

I don't even know what I want to vote for!
They all look good and many of them are on my TBR already.

message 26: by Katy (new)

Katy (Kathy_H) | 717 comments Yes
Being happy with the winners will be easy this time around

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 168 comments Melanti wrote: "I don't even know what I want to vote for!
They all look good and many of them are on my TBR already."

Same! I ended up adding half of them to my TBR pile just in case they don't win.

message 28: by Lila (new)

Katy wrote: "Katy wrote: "My nominations:

Adult: Kingfisher by Patricia A. McKillip
YA/Children: When the Sea Turned to Silver by Grace Lin
Non-fictio..."

Robyn wrote: "My non-fiction submission us missing too."

Melanti wrote: "Okay, I've added Katy and Robyn's nominations in.

I've went through the posts and everything else seems to be there, but please speak up if something doesn't look right!"

Sorry everyone!
I made the polls on my iPad at the airport! Thanks Melanti for correcting!

message 29: by Lila (last edited Jul 12, 2017 05:53PM) (new)

Everyone who voted for something else might considering changing their vote to break the tie between Thomas the Rhymer and Will Do Magic for Small Change?
Or else we can read them both which would be okay too as far as I am concerned!

message 30: by Lila (new)

And the Winners are.............
Surprise surprise! In the Night Garden by Catherynne M. Valente for the adult novel!
Fir the YA novel When the Sea Turned to Silver by Grace Lin
And Nonfiction META bookFairy Tale in the Ancient World by Graham Anderson

Threads will be set up shortly!

message 31: by Margaret (new)

Great choices! I won't re-read In the Night Garden, but I've read it many times. It's one of my favorite novels, so I'll participate in the discussion even though I'm not reading it again.

I'll definitely read the other two.

message 32: by Melanti (new)

That is a surprise! I looked yesterday morning and that was tied for 3rd place.

Not entirely sure I'll re-read In the Night Garden either - I might read the sequel instead, which I haven't read yet.

message 33: by Katy (new)

Katy (Kathy_H) | 717 comments I haven't read any of the three winners this time around. I hope to read them all -- but the META book might be a bit hard to find.

message 34: by Melanti (new)

Yep! I didn't vote for it only because my library didn't have it. Well, to be fair, the city library has one copy, but it's in the special collections and it can't be checked out, and the special collections branch is kind of a pain to go to... Gorgeous, but a pain.

But since it won, I put in an ILL request at the County library, and I'll cross my fingers that it works... I haven't tried to use ILL in this new library yet.

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 168 comments Margaret wrote: "Great choices! I won't re-read In the Night Garden, but I've read it many times. It's one of my favorite novels, so I'll participate in the discussion even though I'm not reading it again.

I'll de..."

Great to hear. I'm looking forward to reading it!

I read When the Sea Turned Silver earlier this year, so I wont be re-reading it so soon.

Even though it didn't win, I borrowed a copy of The Enchanted Screen. Anyone interested in doing a buddy read for it?

message 36: by Leah (last edited Jul 14, 2017 05:06AM) (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 654 comments Rachel wrote: "Even though it didn't win, I borrowed a copy of The Enchanted Screen. Anyone interested in doing a buddy read for it?"

Wish I could join a buddy read for this one, but my library doesn't have this one. Matter of fact, most of the non-fiction noms weren't available through my library. :(

message 37: by Melanti (last edited Jul 14, 2017 05:18AM) (new)

Leah wrote: "Matter of fact, most of the non-fiction noms weren't available through my library. :( ..."

I know! I actually spent an hour or so checking them out and found very little that my library had that was fairy tale related.

And I live near a huge library system with a fantastic selection, and I'm used to them having practically everything.

message 38: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 654 comments Melanti wrote: "And I live near a huge library system with a fantastic selection, and I'm used to them having practically everything."

Me, too! I concluded that I've become spoiled by my library's selection. lol

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 168 comments Leah wrote: "Wish I could join a buddy read for this one, but my library do..."

Bummer! I'll let you know how it is.