Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

JULY - MENTAL HEALTH&DISABILITY > Let's talk mental health & disability

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsINGE) | 836 comments Mod
This topic is so personal and close to my heart, I don't even know where to begin to start us talking. So I'm going to leave this open to you guys. Would you be open to sharing your own stories? Do you want to talk about mental health & disability representation in books? The stigma surrounding these topics? Something else? I listen to you.

Note: I realise this topic could get a bit personal - there's absolutely no pressure to share anything you're not comfortable with. Having said that, this group is a safe and judgement-free zone for everyone. ♥

The floor is yours.

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace Messimer (graceellenreads) | 8 comments I've struggled with anxiety for the past few years and it has caused a lot of stress in my life, so I'm really excited to see so many people reading mental illness books <3

message 3: by Salha (new)

Salha (salhavam) | 6 comments Earlier this year I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression, although I've been aware of having them for years.

I began a treatment with Bach flowers, but I didn't feel much difference so I ditched it. I talked with my parents about moving onto antidepressants, but they don't like the idea and I'm incredibly terrified of those pills. So I guess I'll go back to the Bach flowers.

message 4: by Inge, Mad Hatter (last edited Jul 03, 2017 10:59AM) (new)

Inge (omgitsINGE) | 836 comments Mod
Grace wrote: "I've struggled with anxiety for the past few years and it has caused a lot of stress in my life, so I'm really excited to see so many people reading mental illness books <3"

Same here, Grace!

Salha wrote: "Earlier this year I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression, although I've been aware of having them for years.

I began a treatment with Bach flowers, but I didn't feel much difference so I dit..."

I was really scared of going on antidepressants as well, but they've helped me so much. It's worth talking to a professional about this before you make a decision. At least you'll have all the information then. ^_^ (We can talk about this via private message if you want.)

message 5: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments This is quite a tough topic for me because I have a lot of experience with mental illness through my family members. I'm pretty sure that I have a mild form of anxiety myself which I'm mostly fine with and it doesn't usually affect me that badly but certain times and certain things really trigger it and I can get myself into panics over such silly things and I do find it hard in certain social situations.

My Nan is bipolar. I know through stories that my Mum has told me about her childhood that it was really bad when my Mum was younger and my Mum had a really tough childhood because of it (not that she blames her Mum/my Nan because she couldn't help it but it wasn't easy for her either as she grew up basically taking care of her). Triggers definitely set her off more and stop her from taking her meds because my Mum said the first time she got really bad was when she had moved to Canada and got depressed while she was there because although she had her husband and her children, she was really lonely and missed home. She came back with my Mum and my Uncle when they were still young but she was always unwell on and off (not to mention the fact that this was back in the day when they thought things like shock therapy actually worked and were good things to do to people). She eventually remarried and she was incredibly happy and healthy and well for the entire time they were together. They were together since before I was born so I only ever really knew the happy, healthy side of her for such a long time. Then about 12 years ago her husband (my step-granddad) got cancer and unfortunately died. When he got ill, so did she and she has never been fully right ever since. She has had good patches but they have mostly been outnumbered by the bad and certain times of the year always triggered it even more (Christmas was the worst one, pretty much every year around Christmas she would have a breakdown) and she has been in and out of hospitals for the last 12 years. She ended up giving up on taking her meds pretty much altogether and we had to move her into a nursing home because she kept falling as well. Now, she not only has bipolar disorder but she also has dementia and she's bed bound.

My oldest sister suffered with very bad depression in her teens and although she's mostly fine now, she sometimes has moments where she knows it's there or coming back but luckily she recognises the signs now and she will immediately ask for help when she sees them. She also has mild OCD but she's luckily able to control it and it's not severe enough that it's a real issue. My middle sister had a lot of anger issues in her teens which stemmed from depression and insecurities but luckily she is also fine now and she has found her confidence again.

My Mum has never shown signs of having any severe mental illnesses and mostly she's fine but I do think she also has a mild form of anxiety like I do but hers manifests itself in different ways. Hers manifests itself in things like feeling guilty and worrying. She worries about everyone and everything and she always feels guilty about things which she doesn't need to feel guilty about. I think this mostly comes down to her childhood, though, because she always felt responsible for everything and dealing with her Mum when she had bad turns because from her childhood and even into adulthood, whenever my Nan had a bad turn she always took it out on my Mum and would pick at her which took its toll on her.

message 6: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments Wow! Sorry that turned into a complete outpouring of my family history. I genuinely did not mean to ramble on that much!

message 7: by Salha (new)

Salha (salhavam) | 6 comments Francesca wrote: "This is quite a tough topic for me because I have a lot of experience with mental illness through my family members. I'm pretty sure that I have a mild form of anxiety myself which I'm mostly fine ..."

My kind of anxiety is kind of like your mom's. I overthink everything, and worry about everything and everyone (even about things that have never happened, but a random image of something happening appears in my mind and keeps me worried), and I also feel guilty quite often, about anything, and I apologise constantly for things that I shouldn't be apologising for.

I also get crying attacks a couple of times a week. I begin crying for whatever thing that crosses my mind, and this comes from the overthinking and overworrying.