Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsINGE) | 836 comments Mod
Here's where you can talk about the books you're reading. How are you enjoying them? Are you learning anything from them, and are you able to relate?

Drop all your thoughts here!

WhatIReallyRead Oookay, I need to gain some perspective from Of Wonderland fellow-members.

Why do you think it is important, or useful, or helpful to read about mental/physical disability? Does that depend on whether or not you or someone you're close to have had similar issues ?

message 3: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

WhatIReallyRead wrote: "Oookay, I need to gain some perspective from Of Wonderland fellow-members.

Why do you think it is important, or useful, or helpful to read about mental/physical disability? Does that depend on wh..."

I started reading them because I wanted to learn. Even if the cases in the books are dramatised or fictional, they're still educational. I read about situations I normally wouldn't be in. It makes me more open-minded because I have a better understanding of things.

WhatIReallyRead I've just finished Wintergirls and man! it was so painful to read, I cried so much and I feel like I'm gonna need to hug bunnies and comfort-read fluff for a month after this... I don't feel educated, I feel torn apart from the inside.

I don't have any mental health issues myself, and I haven't for years now. I can't imagine how a depressed person or someone struggling with eating disorders would even read this book... Wouldn't it be harmful, rather than helpful?

message 5: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Depends on the person, I guess. Or how graphic it is, if that makes sense. And triggers. That's why trigger warnings are so important. I don't really get swept up into things myself so I can endure quite a lot in a book. Though I'm really sorry Wintergirls made you feel so bad. It was a sad and powerful read for sure. But depressing people was never the intention behind this theme. I often find hope in these types of books. Like you find a character you relate to and you can think, "I'm not alone."

message 6: by Cathy, Dinah (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Mod
I agree that it's probably really important to read books with these kinds of subject matters. I never hurts to learn more about a certain condition and to open your mind and world to what exists outside of your own realm and outside of what you know.

However, having said that, I have to admit I agree with WhatIReallyRead about those books often being painful. I am skipping this month's theme for that reason alone, because most of the time I just can't handle those kinds of books emotionally. Especially during the summer months, they are not subject matter I would go for, so I'm saving myself the heartache.

I know that's probably selfish of me, but I don't have any mental health issues either, nor does anyone I know, so it's always hard for me to relate and I just end up feeling incredibly sad when reading those stories.

message 7: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

That's completely fine. It's a very heavy subject. Next month's theme (based on the poll's current results) will be much more casual for everyone. :)