Debate discussion

Non-debating discussions (SA) > Defense or Defence

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Ruscigno Which one is the correct spelling. I know that spell check will say that defence is spelled wrong, but in the dictionary and online you can find the same meaning for both spellings.

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
defense |diˈfens; ˈdēˌfens| ( Brit. defence)
noun
1 the action of defending from or resisting attack : they relied on missiles for the country's defense | she came to the defense of the eccentric professor.
• attempted justification or vindication of something : he spoke in defense of a disciplined approach.
• an instance of defending a title or seat in a contest or election : his first title defense against Jones.
• military measures or resources for protecting a country : the minister of defense | [as adj. :] defense policy.
• a means of protecting something from attack : education is the best defense against tyranny.
• ( defenses) fortifications or barriers against attack : coastal defenses.
• (in sports) the action or role of defending one's goal against the opposition : we played solid defense.
• ( the defense) the players in a team who perform this role.
2 the case presented by or on behalf of the party being accused or sued in a lawsuit.
3 one or more defendants in a trial.
• (usu. the defense) [treated as sing. or pl. :] the counsel for the defendant in a lawsuit : the defense requested more time to prepare their case.

defence
noun
British spelling of defense .

message 3: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Ruscigno Thanks. I always get confused between British English and American English.

message 4: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Lol me too.

Its like wait is there actually a "U" in favorite? Shit, no wonder i've been getting bad grades!

message 5: by Liz (last edited Aug 04, 2009 02:11PM) (new)

Liz And in colour.

Not to mention the spelling difference between gray and grey, theater and theatre.

message 6: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Ha, I spell theatre that way, grey/gray doesn't make a difference.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments i spell them how i want to spell them the moment i am spelling them

message 8: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments I spel lyk i wan spel u sili litl brat

message 9: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments *giggle*

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Fairy/faerie.

message 11: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Ha, My friend and I argue over that one...

message 12: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Do you's prefer one or the other? I don't really care, but seeing that the English spoke English first, I think we should use british english.

message 13: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments When I feel like confusing people or being a smartass I use British spellings, but I like Fairy better.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

"but seeing that the English spoke English first, I think we should use british english.
"

Actually, the Anglo and Saxon Germanic tribes were "first" to England, so we should really speak that. X)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm making a Youtube video right nowwwwwwww.

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments Marley wrote: "I spel lyk i wan spel u sili litl brat

"

lol. are you making fun of me?

cool you have nice vids

message 17: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Actually, the Anglo and Saxon Germanic tribes were "first" to England, so we should really speak that. X)

Lol I was waiting for that XD

message 18: by Lauren (new)

X)

message 19: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Liz wrote: "And in colour.

Not to mention the spelling difference between gray and grey, theater and theatre."

I'm still confused as to which one I'M supposed to use....