Forgotten YA Gems discussion

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Cinder
Previous BOTMs > July 1-8 (ch 1-10)

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by destiny (last edited Jul 01, 2017 09:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

destiny ☠ howling libraries (howlinglibraries) Discussion questions will be posted on July 1st! (I made this week 8 days long so we could be on a Sunday->Saturday schedule for the rest of the month.)

1. I'm sure we all already knew that Cinder is a Cinderella retelling. How many similarities have you found so far?

2. Why do you think cyborgs are treated so poorly?

3. Why do you think Adri hates Cinder so much?

4. Any ideas for why the little green dots of the plague were disappearing before the scientists' very eyes?

5. Cinder's cyborg brain gives her a lot of cool features. What feature would you most like to have?

Melissa Carter (mels_reads) There was quite a few similarities throughout. I cant remember all now because i read it last year but i remember at the time thinking how cool it was.

I think its a metaphor for the whole stigma of differences like you think back to before when poc were slaves and gay people were exiled etc. people dont like whats different to themselves.

I know why Adri hates Cinder but not sure if it falls under the spoiler part coz i cant remember which book its from :/

Also again with the spoilers for the scientists

I'd like to be able to have a computer in my brain. send messages, look up info etc without having to get my phone out during a discussion.

Lyndsey (lyndleloo) | 4 comments This is my first time reading and I'm really enjoying it so far, it's really different to every other fairytale retelling!
I was thinking that people may hate cyborgs because the androids were built and may have taken over a lot of the jobs humans did before, but they're just robots, whereas the cyborgs are part human so it's easier to direct their hate at them. Cyborgs are neither human nor robot so they don't fit in anywhere, and like Melissa said people don't like what's different.
I'm not sure about Adri, but I get a very Wuthering Heights/Heathcliff vibe from the whole situation, and wasn't it supposed to be hinted that Heathcliff was actually Cathy's father's bastard son? Maybe it's a similar deal and Adri suspects Cinder was her husband's daughter... Still, selling her to the scientists for what was basically certain death was a bit harsh.
With the green dots, I got the impression the chip in Cinder's spine was somehow important and maybe as the plague was infecting her in certain areas the cyborg parts of her were killing off the infected cells so the green lights disappeared?
I really hate the fact Cinder can tell when people are lying, that would be such a difficult ability to live with. I think the fact she can receive comms without needing a phone or anything is pretty cool :-) I'm gonna have to stop myself from listening for a few days now so I don't get too far ahead!

message 4: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cat Bryson (_Cat_) | 2 comments 1. I'm sure we all already knew that Cinder is a Cinderella retelling. How many similarities have you found so far?
-I think there are numerous similarities, but with a new twist. I also felt that Cinder is stronger than the original Cinderella. She seems more comfortable with who she is and just wants to live her own life.

-I think she is jealous of her in a way.

4. Any ideas for why the little green dots of the plague were disappearing before the scientists' very eyes?
-Maybe is has something to do with her cyborg parts...

5. Cinder's cyborg brain gives her a lot of cool features. What feature would you most like to have?
-I would love to be able to look up anything without a phone. Also, knowing when someone is lying could come in handy as a teacher. =)

Fefe | 25 comments 1. I'm sure we all already knew that Cinder is a Cinderella retelling. How many similarities have you found so far?
So far the similarities have been the step-mother who dislikes Cinder/Cinderella and the two step sisters. I liked how Cinder was actually close to one of the sisters.

Maybe because they aren't considered neither human nor androids by the society, so they are viewed as freaks.

I think it has to do with Adri's husband who left prior to the story. He was the one who brought Cinder to live with Adri and then he moved to Europe for whatever reason. Maybe Adri blames Cinder for her husband's moving

Maybe it is the chip that it's on her nervous system.

Either knowing when someone is lying or being able to identify people like she did with Kai.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I have already re-read it, well actually I listened to it on audio and now I want them all on audio as they are so good that way. I also have the paperbacks and the hardbacks. Yes, I'm crazy. =)

2. It really upset me that the cyborgs were treated so badly, but like Fefe said, they aren't seen as real humans. It doesn't matter, you shouldn't be horrible to anything. That's my opinion anyway.

3. I think Adri hates Cinder because she is jealous and knows who and what she really is.

4. Because Cinder is something else entirely.

5. I would love to be able to tell when someone is lying. Can you imagine, that would be so many people. Through-out my life anyway =)

message 7: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea (lea_diamandis) | 11 comments I have already read this book and it's in my Top 5 of my favorite series of all time, so I'm pretty excited for this reread :3

1. I'm sure we all already knew that Cinder is a Cinderella retelling. How many similarities have you found so far?
The stepmother and the two stepsisters and the fact that Cinder has to do all the "dirty work" for them while they seem to live in luxus.

Because people do not see them as human beings but as machines I suppose which makes me really upset. I love stories that question humanity and what it means to be human nevertheless and that's also why Cinder really got to me.

It might have to do of the history with Cinder's father/Adri's husband but I'm not gonna spoil anything.

I know it and I couldn't come up with a different answer so not gonna answer this one :D

I would like to know if someone is lying or if someone is hiding their emotions. But not as far as reading people's thoughts, that would be disturbing and confusing :D

Duskangelreads | 33 comments This is my first time reading this book. And it is also the BOTM for another Goodreads group I'm in, so that was handy that they had the same book for July! Enjoying it so far and curious to see where it goes from here!

The main similarities would have to be the step mother and step sisters (however they both aren’t ‘evil stepsisters’), the coming ball, her having to do chores and being lied to by her step mother that she can go once they are finished. There was also a mention of the old car they found and something about a pumpkin, I don’t remember the exact wording but that obviously made me think of the pumpkin being turned into a carriage for the ball in the original Cinderella. Besides those things nothing else is really similar.

They are different and humans have always had issues with accepting what is different to themselves both in books and real life.

Because Adri blames Cinder for her husbands death as he was going to get Cinder when he died.

I would say it has something to do with the chip in her nervous system as I don’t think it would have been bought up if it didn’t have a purpose to the story..

The being able to tell if people are telling the truth would be a handy thing to have. Not brain related but she can hide things in a secret compartment in her leg?! I would total sneak snacks into cinemas iso I would never have to pay those crazy prices again!

message 9: by Lucy (new) - rated it 1 star

Lucy Ghost | 8 comments 1- Ok, I have to say that this looks more like a Star Wars retelling. Honestly, it's the perfect mixture of A New Hope and The Force Awakens: the orphan protagonist who feels attraction to the hot and sweet and cute royal family member; the robot who keeps this royal family member's secrets; the royal family member used as a diplomatic hostage. Honestly, that's how I see it.
2- I think cyborgs are so cool and I'm not agree with this resolution to their condition and I'd say that this Levana girl don't know that.
3- Adri know something we don't...
4- Well, I'm a little rushed and I know the answer, but before knowing, I didn't have any idea, I'd just say that Cinder's the chosen one cuz she's the main character and that's how it has to be. I dunno, sorry
5- I'd love to take my foot off so I can say it was cutted and so skip classes. Kidding. I'd love to have a photoghafic eyes, so i can take pictures of things only I can see.

message 10: by Krystal (new) - added it

Krystal (KrystalLyn) | 6 comments 1. The similarities: the step sisters, the mean step-mother, Cinder doing all the dirty work and treated like a slave, finding the car and thinking of it as being a pumpkin to take her away, the prince and the ball.

2. I see it as a message of how humans are, prejudice against what we don't understand and what is different.

3. Maybe because Cinder isn't her child but some other woman's and she's jealous.

4. Possibly a malfunction in Cinder

5. Knowing when someone is lying

Justine (Milkz) (Milkz) I've read this before but wanted to contribute this round haha...

-- Cinder has a step mother and step sisters. She is also pretty much their servant.

-- The world seems to think they are less than human because they have less than human parts.

-- I think this might be a spoiler so (view spoiler)

-- Yes! But spoiler ^^.

--I would like to be able to access the internet whenever. (view spoiler)

Jackie ϟ (jakimann) | 9 comments 1. I'm sure we all already knew that Cinder is a Cinderella retelling. How many similarities have you found so far?
Well, the treatment of Cinder by her stepmother and her role in the family is the most obvious one to me, as well as her need for a new foot (aka shoe). The introduction of the prince and his ball is also a similarity that may prove to be an even bigger plot point as the book goes on.

Not only are they different, and humans are notorious for treating difference negatively, but it also seems that many are humans turned into cyborgs in order to save them from death. So, cyborgs have already cheated death and perhaps others are jealous of them? Plus they seem to have cool gadgets like Cinder's, which I would be a little jealous of too.

Probably because Cinder came into the family at the same time Adri's husband and income left, and so she connects her with that loss.

HM, well, I think this might be spoilery, but I'm sure it's something to do with her past, maybe where she's actually from? Europe or...wherever? (:

I might want to see when people are lying, because it could be helpful but also a little painful since sometimes lies can be necessary. Maybe the ability to regulate my body temp and not blush? Blushing is so embarrassing, and I do it all the time!

message 13: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary (RSolvang) | 1 comments Hi
I'm just arriving/joining
just ordered the book
hope to catch up by the 2nd week
Thanks for this group
I believe reading & discussing in CHUNKS is way more fun than reading the whole thing and talking at the end
Thanks again
r.

message 14: by Anya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anya Blackhart-Clark (ancchy) | 2 comments Hi, I'm a bit late to the party, but better late than never, right? :)

There were quite a lot of similarities, but the most notable one was definitely her stepmother and stepsisters. Then her father dying. ; pumpkin car, prince, ball...

Because they are not fully humans anymore. It's hard for a normal mind to comprehend how much is the program talking and how much of your friend truly stayed in.

Because she's another mouth to feed which means less money for her...

No clue, but it has to do with her cyborg program or something, right?

Probably being able to download all the random information.

message 15: by Ley (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ley (mall3tg1rl) | 138 comments Mod
Destiny wrote: "Discussion questions will be posted on July 1st! (I made this week 8 days long so we could be on a Sunday->Saturday schedule for the rest of the month.)

1. I'm sure we all already knew that Cinder..."

1) As already stated, there are sooooooo many similarities. It's almost heavy handed, but it's still enjoyable!

2) I think it's a fear of different or strange. That's something we deal with in the real world, too.

3) Because she just SUCKS. I haaaaate Adri. She reminds me of people I know -.-

4) HMMMMMM, why indeed ;) (i already read spoilers for the book, but I won't share them here!)

5) That nifty little thing that tells her when people are lying is pretty rad!!